SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-16-20, 08:18 PM   #61
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

Where we go to vacation near the end of July, they have a sail boat race. If you bring your binocs you can watch the race. They dock in Harbor Springs, Michigan, we vacation in Petoskey. We go to the docks and see these HUGE sail boats docked at the harbor. Its a magnificent sight.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-20, 08:40 PM   #62
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
Quote:
The United States Congress authorized the original six frigates of the United States Navy with the Naval Act of 1794 on March 27, 1794, at a total cost of $688,888.82. These ships were built during the formative years of the United States Navy, on the recommendation of designer Joshua Humphreys for a fleet of frigates powerful enough to engage any frigates of the French or British navies yet fast enough to evade any ship of the line.

The worlds oldest commissioned naval vessel that is still afloat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post

Either way: that's a whole lotta serious friggin' goin' on! I built models of the USS Constitution and wrote my first term paper in highschool about her...the advanced concept of the American frigate's reinforced construction is featured greatly in the movie Master and Commander where the French vessel, Acheron, is a formidable opponent like Old Ironsides, seriously outclassing traditional British frigates (Lucky Jack Aubrey's HMS Surprise) of the period in number of guns, caliber and weight-of-metal in a single broadside. Bottom Line; a 44 gun American frigate with 30 24-pounder main battery seriously outclassed the traditional frigate of opposing navies with 18 pounder main batteries-and that didn't include the nasty secondary top deck Scottish carronade 'smashers' for close-in work.... Required reading: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Original_six_frigates_of_the_United_States_Navy &

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 08-16-20 at 09:18 PM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-20, 04:38 AM   #63
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Downloads: 548

Quote:
Surviving a Cat. 4 Hurricane (Matthew) on our sailboat at anchor in Haiti. We break down our plan into 3 basic steps: Protection from wind, waves and other boats. Also, get a BIG ASS ANCHOR!

Quote:
This can be a VERY rough passage. We watch the weather and sail directly 6 days offshore from the Exumas to the Caribbean. We start in Staniel Cay in the Exuma Islands installing our new battery bank, then set sail for the Caribbean. This is often a tough offshore passage as the winds are predominantly on the nose.
Great sailing, at least the last clip.

Marie Curie

Gerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-20, 08:25 PM   #64
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Default Philosophy of Sailing": Solo to Hawaii and Return, 2017

Marie Curie

Old 08-19-20, 12:19 AM   #65
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Icon14

Getting Boarded At Sea.

Alone Together": Singlehanded Sailing, LA to Hawaii and Return.

Marie Curie

Old 08-19-20, 05:25 AM   #66
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

Good advice and nice films

I certainly like the tall ships, great to see - still have to visit Vasa !

Regarding anchoring we had some bad luck once in the baltic, after a day of sunny sailing with enough wind, no storm or bad weather forecast, no falling barometre, we anchored a thousand meters east from Moen's Klint, ground was also said to be good.
So we routinely secured everything, bathed, prepared dinner and went to bed at 11 pm or so. Still all was looking good, but we left two guards on deck as usual.
At 1 a.m. i felt the boat was really working in the waves, lots of hissing in the steel ropes, we had wind from the east so the coast was in lee, and the anchor did not hold. (was a charter boat, i think a Bavaria 42)
So we got up, had to heave the anchor, started the engine to steam up to it and then trying to get it off the ground, somehow stuck but we made it.
Followed a bad night staying clear from coasts and other ships, always going down to mark the position on the charts, while getting water through the hatch every time you opened it, waves five meters and more. Took 8 hours to get less wind and 24 hours until it came back to 'normal'.
I was not the skipper, we were happy to have a lot of other capable sailors among us.

Still do not understand how we did not see or notice any harbinger of such bad weather before. Ok only Kiel radio for forecasts, Decca instead GPS, no internet and so on, but ..

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 05:50 AM   #67
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

ROYAL CLIPPER

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 06:08 AM   #68
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Growing uo as a child in San Francisco, I was used to see all sorts of sailing craft in the SF Bay, but there was one craft which got my attention at a very early age; my grandfather would indulge my fascination with ships and trains by taking me to the Embarcadero waterfront, then still an active commercial freight/passenger terminal where I could see the ships arriving, departing, and being loaded and unloaded; I remember vividly the shuttle trains running between the piers to carry unloaded cargo away or to bring in cargo to load for export, and the bustle of the stevedores and longshoremen in and around the ships, the cacophony of shouts and calls in several different languages; but there was on craft that took my interest for many years and it was landlocked at the beach end of Golden Gate Park...

The ship Gjøa was on exhibit at the Park for decades and had a spotty history of pride and neglect, which I witnessed over the years; when my grandfather first took me there he told me the ship had been to the North Pole, which I found to be an awe-inspiring fact; it wasn't until later years that I learned the full and fascinating story of just how historic and important that little ship really was in modern history:

Gjøa --

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gj%C3%...nd_restoration

The Gjøa, through the Northwest Passage to Golden Gate Park --

https://www.outsidelands.org/gjoa1.php

The Gjøa is now well cared for and preserved back in its proper home country...

<O>
Old 08-19-20, 10:48 AM   #69
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Marie Curie

Old 08-19-20, 06:57 PM   #70
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by vienna View Post
Growing uo as a child in San Francisco, I was used to see all sorts of sailing craft in the SF Bay, but there was one craft which got my attention at a very early age; my grandfather would indulge my fascination with ships and trains by taking me to the Embarcadero waterfront, then still an active commercial freight/passenger terminal where I could see the ships arriving, departing, and being loaded and unloaded; I remember vividly the shuttle trains running between the piers to carry unloaded cargo away or to bring in cargo to load for export, and the bustle of the stevedores and longshoremen in and around the ships, the cacophony of shouts and calls in several different languages; but there was on craft that took my interest for many years and it was landlocked at the beach end of Golden Gate Park...

The ship Gjøa was on exhibit at the Park for decades and had a spotty history of pride and neglect, which I witnessed over the years; when my grandfather first took me there he told me the ship had been to the North Pole, which I found to be an awe-inspiring fact; it wasn't until later years that I learned the full and fascinating story of just how historic and important that little ship really was...
The boat's name was a psychological ploy to boost moral in the crew. The Franklin expedition disaster still fresh in everyone's minds fifty years on, better than naming it Støppa!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 07:12 PM   #71
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

THIS would a be a dream, if I don't give up after 5 days without WiFi and access to the outside world. It would be an excellent place to quarantine!

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-20, 11:53 PM   #72
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post

THIS would a be a dream, if I don't give up after 5 days without WiFi and access to the outside world. It would be an excellent place to quarantine!
The longest sailing I have done is four months with two stops for bunkering ... and it was a fairly compressed journey. And this happened without what we have today computer, mobile phone everything was paper charts and sextant and navigation of stars and a half good VHF radio and analog radio..no radar, or GPS pure stone age or sonar was there, only one vindex was, which is highest up in the mast to see the direction of where the wind is coming from. The boat was equipped with an inboard engine of 15 horsepower, which in favorable conditions could reach 5.2 knots and in high and rough seas one knot.

Marie Curie

Old 08-20-20, 05:33 AM   #73
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

DAR MLODZIEZY

Old 08-20-20, 07:10 AM   #74
Gerald
SUBSIM Newsman

Quote:
Even the most daunting world records are meant to be broken… eventually. For elite navigator Stan Honey and a crew of sailing all-stars, beating the prestigious monohull transatlantic sailing record was the ultimate accomplishment. And it was no easy feat. On July 22, 2016, the Comanche—a custom-built, 100-foot racing yacht—set sail from New York to the southern tip of England. Precisely five days, 14 hours, 21 minutes and 25 seconds later, the Comanche’s crew shattered the world record … by more than a day. Brave the high seas as we set sail on one of the most amazing and inspiring journeys ever to take place on film.

Marie Curie

Old 08-20-20, 12:47 PM   #75
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

ATHENA