SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-09-11, 11:18 PM   #1
Patchman123
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 226
Uploads: 2
Default [REQ] Workable Enigma machine

How about having a workable Enigma machine for the U-boat campaign that sends REAL messages in Morse code to the high command in Brest?

It would be cool to have an Enigma machine because Enigma was what the German military used for its secret communications that were cracked by the Allies. I see that the Enigma machine is barely used at all in the game. How about having tutorials on how to use Morse Code? How about tutorials on how to use the Enigma machine in Silent Hunter IV? Is it possible to make a workable Enigma machine or spell out messages in Morse Code to Brest or Pearl Harbor in the American campaign?

That would be AWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME to send your own custom messages! Like telling the Japanese things I will not repeat on this forum.
Patchman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 09:46 AM   #2
tomoose
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 23
Uploads: 0
Default Not possible

AFAIK the Enigma machine doesn't work at all. You can't enter 'custom' messages even in plain text in the game, and even if you could you would not receive a 'custom' response ergo what would be the point?
Even if you could use the Enigma machine it would probably have to be plain text anyway as making it a true crypto machine would be a HUUUUUUGE challenge unless a very rudimentary encryption could be used. Again, to what end, given that the receiver (Base) couldn't decrypt and isn't smart enough to tailor an appropriate response.
The Enigma machine only applies to the German side, I don't know what the US used (daily codes, weekly codes?).

Pressing a key and being able to enter custom text for a message would be immersive but would basically be eye-candy as your Base HQ would only reply with pre-programmed responses which may or may not be appropriate to your sent message.
tomoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-11, 10:04 AM   #3
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomoose View Post
The Enigma machine only applies to the German side, I don't know what the US used (daily codes, weekly codes?).
Read about it here. There were different options for equipment, depending on where and what the boat was doing.
Old 08-12-11, 10:14 AM   #4
Fish40
The Old Man

Downloads: 142
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patchman123 View Post
How about having a workable Enigma machine for the U-boat campaign that sends REAL messages in Morse code to the high command in Brest?

It would be cool to have an Enigma machine because Enigma was what the German military used for its secret communications that were cracked by the Allies. I see that the Enigma machine is barely used at all in the game. How about having tutorials on how to use Morse Code? How about tutorials on how to use the Enigma machine in Silent Hunter IV? Is it possible to make a workable Enigma machine or spell out messages in Morse Code to Brest or Pearl Harbor in the American campaign?

That would be AWWWWWWWWWWWWWESOME to send your own custom messages! Like telling the Japanese things I will not repeat on this forum.

It seems something to that effect was done for SH3. You could read about it here: http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=146939

I think it was only a user designed single mission that utilised the Enigma, but the concept is there!
Fish40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enigma, machine, morse code, u-boat