SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-17-22, 01:18 PM   #1
Sammy-rai
Seaman

Downloads: 28
Uploads: 0
Default Tank Bustin' Tonys ?

Not sure where to post this thread but I assume it concerns a mod of the Kawasaki KI-61 'Tony'.

Last night (October 1942 in gametime) my Salmon-class USS Snapper was on the receiving of a strafing run by a pair of KI-61 Tonys. They caught the Snapper while in the act of crash-diving and proceeded to knock out more than 2/3 of the sub's systems, including both diesel and electric engines and all sensor systems. On only that one strafing run. Ten seconds later, the sub was declared sunk with all hands on board.

Being familiar with the armament of Tonys, I knew that the result was completely unrealistic. Normal armament for a Tony was 2 20mm cannons and 2 12.7mm machine guns, which is about the same as a Zero's.

With this armament the best one could hope for would probably be to chew up the deck and damage a deck gun. Single-engine Japanese fighters could not sink subs with their normal armament no matter how many firing passes they made.

So I tried to look up the weapon tables for a Tony and found SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent_Hunter_4_FOTR \Data\Air\AFB_Ki61\AFB_Ki61.eqp.

The last two entries in this file are:
[Equipment 11]
NodeName=A01
LinkName=40mmSingleAir

[Equipment 12]
NodeName=A02
LinkName=40mmSingleAir

; ++++++ The End +++++

If I understand the file correctly, then sometimes the Tony attacks with the firepower of 40mm cannons, which is tank-busting firepower and not correct.

I'm guessing that this is what happened when the Tonys sank my sub with a single firing pass.

It seems that this is probably a typo and should be changed to LinkName=20mmSingleAir. This is what I have done in my file and ask that someone check and possibly edit this info with regard to future distribution of these Tony files.

My SH4 build consists of FOTR Ultimate 1.7, Kaigun Maru, Nippon Maru, and Fleet Interiors mods. No other active mods.
Sammy-rai is offline   Reply With Quote