SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-06, 08:55 PM   #1
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 170
Uploads: 0
Default GWX and Marhkimov's LIGHT NIGHT mod

Our good friend Rob meantioned something I thought about myself. My preference is like his, I like the night time to be a little more brighter. So I remembered I use Marhkimov's LIGHT NIGHT mod for UBWA, so I told Rob I would investigate this matter.

So, my findings are that it does work. Obviously, it is not as bright as it was before, due to the fact GWX is much darker than I've ever seen. Anyway, I took some screenies, and this is the best way to demonstrate it, especially to Rob.

If it is not bright enough for some still, maybe Marhkimov could be so kind into making a GWX Update. If no one has this, and want to try it out, I would be willing to upload it to FileFront for you. To me, this is just right, as long as it's is dark enough in the room, which I prefer to play in the dark. All I'm missing is a red lamp above my computer cabinet

Here are my screenies :

I noticed without Light Night, you can't even see what is on the flag, with Light Night, it has just enough light to make out the country. For those with bad eyesight, this is the way to go.
Tuddley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 09:00 PM   #2
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216

Hi there Tuddley3,
What time of night is it when those shots where taken?
I will find out if the above mod is compatible with GWX for you mate.
Old 12-19-06, 09:00 PM   #3
CCIP
Navy Seal

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 2

Is it the same one as used in NYGM 2.2? If so, then it's 16k and should be compatible with GW I think :hmm: I'll have to try this myself.

mr chris - the dark time of night :P That's what nights look like in NYGM.

Personally, I would like that sky + black water.

There are only forty people in the world and five of them are hamburgers.
-Don Van Vliet
(aka Captain Beefheart)
CCIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 09:01 PM   #4
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Downloads: 115

Hi Tuddley,

Even though it has been re-named to be generic, the 16km optional mod included with GWX is the "light" version. They are one and the same.

If you use a different version apart from the one found on Sergbuto's website... you will lose the moon reflection on the water.

Also, I think the ones found at serg's site have the low-res original stock tga's... you might want to extract them and check... just incase you want a little more detail to it.

If you need to, you can pull the medium-rez moon tga from GW and re-pack the dat file in Serg's mod.

www.thegreywolves.com
All you need is good men. - Heinrich Lehmann-Willenbrock
Kpt. Lehmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 09:03 PM   #5
mr chris
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kpt. Lehmann
Hi Tuddley,

Even though it has been re-named to be generic, the 16km optional mod included with GWX is the "light" version. They are one and the same.

If you use a different version apart from the one found on Sergbuto's website... you will lose the moon reflection on the water.

Also, I think the ones found at serg's site have the low-res original stock tga's... you might want to extract them and check... just incase you want a little more detail to it.

If you need to, you can pull the medium-rez moon tga from GW and re-pack the dat file in Serg's mod.
Ah that saved me posing this over at the beta forums. Thanks Kpt
Old 12-19-06, 09:05 PM   #6
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chris
Quote:
Hi Tuddley,

Ah that saved me posing this over at the beta forums. Thanks Kpt
No worries, I discontinued the "dark" version... because well... nobody needed it LOL.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 12-19-06, 09:13 PM   #7
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr chris
Hi there Tuddley3,
What time of night is it when those shots where taken?
I will find out if the above mod is compatible with GWX for you mate.
The first and third were at around 19:30, the second and fourth were at 05:00, the last one was at 01:30, and it was currently December 14th 1939.

I did see a crescent moon rising at 04:30, and there was a reflection. I need to play a little more to find what is missing, also like to see a more full moon to see how that looks.

Thanks for all the replies so far.
Old 12-19-06, 10:04 PM   #8
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Kpt. Lehmann,

Just out of curiosity.

I was wondering about the moon's water reflection. On a full moon night, with clear cloudless sky, the moon's reflection when low in the sky should light the water up across the screen. As it rises in the sky, the reflection deminishes, but it should still be brighter than we have.

Is there any way to recreate this effect in the game?

I take my daughter out on the boat nightfishing in the warmer months, and on a clear full moon night, I can bait the hooks on my fishing poles without the need of a lamp, and can clearly see the shore and trees as the moon rises higher in the sky, at a range of 2 miles. This is of course without the benefit of any city lights, as we're out about 40 miles from any concentrated light source. It was the same when Dad used to take me out on Lake Huron, and Superior when I was a youngster.

If it's not possible to recreate, no worry. I just personnally enjoy moonlit nights on the boat still, even 30 years later. Or I've still got excellent night vision.

Thanks in advance for your concideration

P.S.

The inky black low vision is about right for no moon, or very small sliver of the moon.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 10:11 PM   #9
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314
Kpt. Lehmann,

Just out of curiosity.

I was wondering about the moon's water reflection. On a full moon night, with clear cloudless sky, the moon's reflection when low in the sky should light the water up across the screen. As it rises in the sky, the reflection deminishes, but it should still be brighter than we have.

Is there any way to recreate this effect in the game?

I take my daughter out on the boat nightfishing in the warmer months, and on a clear full moon night, I can bait the hooks on my fishing poles without the need of a lamp, and can clearly see the shore and trees as the moon rises higher in the sky, at a range of 2 miles. This is of course without the benefit of any city lights, as we're out about 40 miles from any concentrated light source. It was the same when Dad used to take me out on Lake Huron, and Superior when I was a youngster.

If it's not possible to recreate, no worry. I just personnally enjoy moonlit nights on the boat still, even 30 years later. Or I've still got excellent night vision.

Thanks in advance for your concideration

P.S.

The inky black low vision is about right for no moon, or very small sliver of the moon.
You are correct about how that aspect of SH3 should look... however, it is an element that we cannot change for now.

Before Sergbuto's help... there was no reflection at all... and before Marhkimov fixed the sun reflection on the water in GW 1.0... that reflection was screwy too... and the U-boat reflections everyone got together and fixed... and the list goes on... and on.

In days to come, we will look at increasing the brightness of the sky at night due to the monitor limitations that many have... It will be awhile though.

I'm just glad we've been able to fix these things to the point that we have them now... much of it was like going to the dentist.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 12-19-06, 10:41 PM   #10
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

[quote=Kpt. Lehmann]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hylander_1314

I'm just glad we've been able to fix these things to the point that we have them now... much of it was like going to the dentist.
I couldn't resist a little humor to help put out the flames of that one thread today :
Old 12-19-06, 10:51 PM   #11
Bungo_Pete
Medic

Downloads: 14

so when does the sun go down in those screen shot's?.
Progressive myopia is one thing blindness is another.I live on the west coast and often walk along the seawall around 10pm and with no moon you can't see dick beyond 100 yards.It's just that simple.
Bungo_Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-06, 11:04 PM   #12
Tuddley3
Grey Wolf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungo_Pete
Progressive myopia is one thing blindness is another.I live on the west coast and often walk along the seawall around 10pm and with no moon you can't see dick beyond 100 yards.It's just that simple.
I watched the Navmap go dark at about 17:00, and Navmap back to day time at around 09:15. I didn't look to see what time actual sun rose and set, I just wanted to test night vision.
Old 12-19-06, 11:10 PM   #13
Kpt. Lehmann
GWX Project Director

Quote:
I hesitate to articulate for fear my answer may deviate from the natural course of physical scientific evidence regarding the fresnel coeficiencies of light through various media.

but seriously...

Exactly... I spent several years in the Army... and recall the inky pitch blackness of night quite well. No moon = flat blindness unless NVG gear is available.

www.thegreywolves.com
Old 12-19-06, 11:33 PM   #14
Hylander_1314
Sea Lord

Downloads: 139

Thanks Kpt. Lehmann!

I understand the situation at hand, and it sounds like as time passes this may come about, if possible.

Thanks for the quick reply too!

And on the nights when there is no moon, if I didn't have running lights or a lantern, I'ld probably fall overboard, which would suck as it gets cold when you're soaked.

---------------------

Hylander_1314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-06, 08:52 AM   #15
Notewire
Soundman

Downloads: 75

Quote:
Quote:
I hesitate to articulate for fear my answer may deviate from the natural course of physical scientific evidence regarding the fresnel coeficiencies of light through various media.

but seriously...

Exactly... I spent several years in the Army... and recall the inky pitch blackness of night quite well. No moon = flat blindness unless NVG gear is available.
Kpt L, another Army guy here, I used the old "Square Moon" mod with GW 1.1, can't remember the name. As I recall, the mod changed the night visibility based on moon phase, and cloud cover, at least, that's what I believed. Not to count rivets on you, does GWX alter night visibility based on actual moonlight (IE, no moon equals pitch, full moon equals 30% vis), or have we not gotten to that level of advanced programming. Please, keep in mind, it is a respectfully submitted question - fully taking into account the 1000s of hours donated to the cause and the probably hundreds more that it would take to do such a thing. All's I was wondering is, does GWX already do that, or is it just my imagination?

Tchuss,
Notewire.
Notewire is offline   Reply With Quote