SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-15-10, 09:34 AM   #211
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDarkWraith View Post
The filtering I used was declared in the .ini files. When you add new items to .ini files via menu editor it doesn't set the filtering. You have to edit the .ini files and change the values to make it use filtering.
I just substitute existing game .dds files with new ones, without editing .ini files (only 1 .cfg file is edited). I also want it to stay that way for simplicity and full compatibility with any other mods - as I understand editing .ini files would greatly increase chances of incompatibility with other mods.
Links: SH5 mods I use, FileFront, Manual plotting how-to
Abd_von_Mumit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 03:53 PM   #212
SteelViking
The Old Man

Downloads: 86

My advice for anti-aliasing images(if it is critical), is to scale them up by factor 2 from stock, and apply a Gaussian blur factor <or= to 0.7. Then apply an unsharp filter of 0.10 or greater. All this can be done in GIMP. Plus, you will get slightly better quality if you use gamma corrected mipmaps.

He sank 198,650 tons....who you ask?....Erich Topp, that's who!
SteelViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-10, 04:19 PM   #213
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelViking View Post
My advice for anti-aliasing images(if it is critical), is to scale them up by factor 2 from stock, and apply a Gaussian blur factor <or= to 0.7. Then apply an unsharp filter of 0.10 or greater. All this can be done in GIMP. Plus, you will get slightly better quality if you use gamma corrected mipmaps.
Thank you very much. I can't apply this procedure to the files I'm working on right now, but will save this tip for later.
Old 09-15-10, 04:48 PM   #214
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abd_von_Mumit View Post
Thank you very much. I can't apply this procedure to the files I'm working on right now, but will save this tip for later.
Ah, are you working on images for the UI? If so, you can still use a similar procedure. Skip the scaling(since it won't work) and do the other 3 things, using values half as big as I recommended. That should still help a pretty good deal.

Also, though you did not have it set to save the images compressed in that screen shot, it is imperative that you not save any image file with a compression unless it is gigantic. Saving with compression, no matter how high quality of a compression you use will damage/distort the image. It will do this in GIMP and in PS.

Old 09-17-10, 11:41 AM   #215
RdJ
Watch

Downloads: 2
Uploads: 0

Quote:
you're trying to call the base class the incorrect way. You should do it this way:

super( MyServer, self ).service = service
I get the same error when I do that...
RdJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 09:59 AM   #216
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

For my Map Tools mod - do map tools, which are only displayed in one, base size, need mipmaps at all? Wouldn't it be better resources-wise to get rid of mipmaps in dds files?

And IF mipmaps are not needed and safe (for every configuration - this is a must condition), do we need the map tools in dds format? Dds files are 35% bigger than identical tgas.
Old 09-19-10, 10:07 AM   #217
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 5

Quote:
For my Map Tools mod - do map tools, which are only displayed in one, base size, need mipmaps at all? Wouldn't it be better resources-wise to get rid of mipmaps in dds files?

And IF mipmaps are not needed and safe (for every configuration - this is a must condition), do we need the map tools in dds format? Dds files are 35% bigger than identical tgas.
mipmaps are only needed for rendering at different X,Y,Z values from camera. Since these tools are not being drawn at different distances there's no need for mipmaps. Game can use TGA or DDS format.
TheDarkWraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-10, 10:50 AM   #218
SteelViking
The Old Man

Quote:

Quote:
mipmaps are only needed for rendering at different X,Y,Z values from camera. Since these tools are not being drawn at different distances there's no need for mipmaps. Game can use TGA or DDS format.
Exactly like TDW said. When I told you that gamma corrected mipmaps would help out quality a bit, I did not realize that you were working on images for the UI.

Old 09-19-10, 12:22 PM   #219
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Quote:
Much appreciated. Thank you!
Old 09-20-10, 03:47 PM   #220
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

With every tiny mod I make my appetite for more serious modding grows. I hope to find a cure soon, as this actually keeps me out of game , but got a question:

Is it possible (makeable) to have a draggable tool consisting of 3 elements overlapping each other (half-transparent), where one is fixed (is a "base" of the tool) and the 2 others move freely to sides (in 1 axis only, horizontal), where freely means when dragged with mouse coursor (part #2 moves independently of part #3)?
Old 09-20-10, 03:52 PM   #221
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
With every tiny mod I make my appetite for more serious modding grows. I hope to find a cure soon, as this actually keeps me out of game , but got a question:

Is it possible (makeable) to have a draggable tool consisting of 3 elements overlapping each other (half-transparent), where one is fixed (is a "base" of the tool) and the 2 others move freely to sides (in 1 axis only, horizontal), where freely means when dragged with mouse coursor (part #2 moves independently of part #3)?
I did that in my attack disc front side....take a look at it It's a little complicated to do but it can be done.
Old 09-20-10, 04:06 PM   #222
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Quote:
I did that in my attack disc front side....take a look at it It's a little complicated to do but it can be done.
Somehow I knew it would be you to answer - you're an invaluable asset, SubSim community should catch you, keep in an isolated glass tank, feed and make you work harder.

Back to topic: your attack disc and the bits of information you dropped about how it was made actually incepted me with the idea described above. However you mentioned a few times, that the movable parts of AD are attached to circular indicators (variables?), and that you are already out of these variables for use with other interface elements. The tool I'm thinking about (a slipstick) would make little sense without the Attack Disc as well - or, rephrased: Attack Disc is more valuable a tool to have than a slipstick (it is my opinion, I know some would not share it - it's quite irrelevant now though).

So the question is - could we have such tool as an addition, without getting rid of the Attack Disc? The important part of its description is: none of the parts needs to be (or even could be) attached to any sub related value/dial.
Old 09-20-10, 04:20 PM   #223
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Somehow I knew it would be you to answer - you're an invaluable asset, SubSim community should catch you, keep in an isolated glass tank, feed and make you work harder.

Back to topic: your attack disc and the bits of information you dropped about how it was made actually incepted me with the idea described above. However you mentioned a few times, that the movable parts of AD are attached to circular indicators (variables?), and that you are already out of these variables for use with other interface elements. The tool I'm thinking about (a slipstick) would make little sense without the Attack Disc as well - or, rephrased: Attack Disc is more valuable a tool to have than a slipstick (it is my opinion, I know some would not share it - it's quite irrelevant now though).

So the question is - could we have such tool as an addition, without getting rid of the Attack Disc? The important part of its description is: none of the parts needs to be (or even could be) attached to any sub related value/dial.
you can share dials - i.e. multiple items can use the same dial. Therefore you could make your new tool and link the discs to any dial. You have to link them to a dial to get them to rotate with mouse or you can use keys to rotate the discs.
Old 09-20-10, 04:33 PM   #224
Abd_von_Mumit
The Old Man

Quote:
you can share dials - i.e. multiple items can use the same dial. Therefore you could make your new tool and link the discs to any dial. You have to link them to a dial to get them to rotate with mouse or you can use keys to rotate the discs.
Bad news. Binding them to dials would render the tool much less useful. It would also be too much time consuming to use it - it's supposed to be handy, not a torment.

What about 3 independent mouse-draggable elements that can be moved only in horizontal dimension? (X-axis?) This would simulate the tool better than keyboard keys.
Old 09-20-10, 04:42 PM   #225
TheDarkWraith
Black Magic

Quote:
Bad news. Binding them to dials would render the tool much less useful. It would also be too much time consuming to use it - it's supposed to be handy, not a torment.

What about 3 independent mouse-draggable elements that can be moved only in horizontal dimension? (X-axis?) This would simulate the tool better than keyboard keys.
dials can be linear instead of circular so yes should be possible. Having 3 mouse-draggable elements is not possible - or I should say would require much testing and trying to make it work if it's even possible to do