SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH5 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-07-14, 10:15 AM   #16
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnorchel View Post
Steve,
Thank you for comment. So the silent speed is a real challenge for the uboot crew? I am really suprised by hearing that. hydroplanes are almost useless with less than 2 knots?
"Less than...", as in 1 knot or standing still. At 2 or 3 knots you should be okay. Remember that any combat submarine weights many hundreds of tons. All that mass is not easy to overcome and things only happen very slowly. Maintaining depth can be done with the trim tanks, but that requires pumping water around and that makes more noise than running at high speed, so it's not really worth it. Basically at silent speeds you may have trouble. Not always, but some of the time. The bottom line is that the game does not portray it accurately, and mods can change that but can't truly fix it.

Something else that gets left out of these "sims" is the fact that the periscope is hard to use at more than 3 or 4 knots due to vibration making the image fuzzy. Running underwater at 8 knots is easy. Seeing anything at that speed is not.
Old 07-07-14, 09:42 PM   #17
schnorchel
Soundman

Downloads: 99
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by vdr1981 View Post
Don't tell me that you're using Steam version?
finally I figure it out by enable it in TDW' patcher. now it works as shown in your video.
I have 1 more question here can we control the boat speed precisely? it seem that we can only control it with min step 1 knot. for example if we say the boat has no depth keeping issue above 1.4 knots, can we set her running at this speed precisely?
schnorchel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-14, 09:46 PM   #18
schnorchel
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
i was at 195m with a speed of 2kts, no problem at all ...
thank you for the info Sjizzle,
I finally figure out that I set the speed @2 knots but it actually only 1 knot, could not we set it more precisely?
Old 07-07-14, 09:47 PM   #19
schnorchel
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
"Less than...", as in 1 knot or standing still. At 2 or 3 knots you should be okay. Remember that any combat submarine weights many hundreds of tons. All that mass is not easy to overcome and things only happen very slowly. Maintaining depth can be done with the trim tanks, but that requires pumping water around and that makes more noise than running at high speed, so it's not really worth it. Basically at silent speeds you may have trouble. Not always, but some of the time. The bottom line is that the game does not portray it accurately, and mods can change that but can't truly fix it.

Something else that gets left out of these "sims" is the fact that the periscope is hard to use at more than 3 or 4 knots due to vibration making the image fuzzy. Running underwater at 8 knots is easy. Seeing anything at that speed is not.
great to know that , thank you, Steve
Old 07-08-14, 01:05 AM   #20
Sjizzle
Count Dracula

Downloads: 405

i am not sure if we can set the speed to 1.4kts, 2.5kts, 2,9kts, etc. etc.
i will look around about this and if i find something will let u know
Sjizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-14, 01:57 AM   #21
schnorchel
Soundman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sjizzle View Post
i am not sure if we can set the speed to 1.4kts, 2.5kts, 2,9kts, etc. etc.
i will look around about this and if i find something will let u know
what I got after spent sometime on dive planes,
1, to keep the depth, both dive planes need to up, just like the planes on aircraft.
2, more angle the diver planes setting more fraction created, that means less speed at same motor revolution setting.
3, to keeps viic41 under control @210m at least 1.9 knots. the motors revolution is about 100rpm which is much higher than 50rpm so called the silent running setting, actually I need to set the target knots about 4 knots on that occasion.
4, need less min knots to keep Viic type under control at 210m, only 1.4 knots is need.

question now is I will lost the silent running if I want to keep the boat under control at this depth destroyer will catch me by the noise I made easily.

Last edited by schnorchel; 07-08-14 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-08-14, 02:43 AM   #22
schnorchel
Soundman

if we could control the dive planes manually can we also control the ballast tanks to pump some water to lighten the boat a little bit. in current situation, the boat need so careful fine tunes at depth and so heavy load on the dive planes, she can even not take any tiny flood by battle damage. this is really a risk job, only super man can handle it. beside the kapitan's job is mainly on the battle, to control the depth is not his concern in the most of time. I really hope that I can spent more energy on evading the enemy destroyer instead of this stuff.