SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-14-15, 01:50 PM   #1246
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Speaking of 3d stuff, I placed here the models I kitbashed for the defunct JMFM mod:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9mt...x9l/SH4_Models

Maybe some of it is of interest to you IABL, because IIRC those were old WW1 ships bought by the japanese after the war ended.

I also opened a thread in the main forum so that anyone interested in them for PTO can get them.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...64#post2287564

Last edited by Hitman; 02-14-15 at 05:52 PM.
Hitman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-15, 03:30 PM   #1247
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

I haven't forgotten the images Mate. I just got home from a big job.
Old 02-16-15, 07:08 AM   #1248
raymond6751
Admirable Mike

Downloads: 421
Ah

Quote:
Originally Posted by captziggy View Post
I really like the mod.It would be a great expansion to SH4.

Will be.
Old 02-21-15, 10:12 PM   #1249
Admiral Von Gerlach
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 358

Yes at this point, SH4 is our best version for a complex mod such as this..tho SH3 remains very good as well with the right environmental mods.

great to see the progress is continuing here.

Last edited by Admiral Von Gerlach; 02-21-15 at 10:47 PM.
Admiral Von Gerlach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-15, 07:32 PM   #1250
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 297

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
Speaking of 3d stuff, I placed here the models I kitbashed for the defunct JMFM mod:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/9mt...x9l/SH4_Models

Maybe some of it is of interest to you IABL, because IIRC those were old WW1 ships bought by the japanese after the war ended.

I also opened a thread in the main forum so that anyone interested in them for PTO can get them.

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/show...64#post2287564
Thanks; the models will be appreciated. Adm Von Gerlach, check your PM.

In other news, Sailor Steve generously provided a list of common maritime patrol planes and seaplanes - I have spent some time tracking down profile images of them, starting with the Central Powers faction's aircraft. Quite a project in and of itself.
iambecomelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-15, 11:36 AM   #1251
the_frog
Commander

Downloads: 17

Hello creator of (virtual) worlds,

looking at my own (long) list of projects started but never finished I just think a WWI project does not need to include too much air traffic ...
What you are trying is anyway something really big, especially considering you work alone.
In case, you think some of the stuff I did (well, not so much WWI mterial in that, except for some cannons) could be useful, feel free using it.

Something completely different (I guess, I asked before), do you or anybody else know of any proper general and faired lines plans of R class (1916) and S class (1917) destroyers?

Cheers -- the Frog
the_frog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-15, 08:25 PM   #1252
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_frog View Post
Hello creator of (virtual) worlds,

looking at my own (long) list of projects started but never finished I just think a WWI project does not need to include too much air traffic ...
What you are trying is anyway something really big, especially considering you work alone.
In case, you think some of the stuff I did (well, not so much WWI mterial in that, except for some cannons) could be useful, feel free using it.

Something completely different (I guess, I asked before), do you or anybody else know of any proper general and faired lines plans of R class (1916) and S class (1917) destroyers?

Cheers -- the Frog
I have profile and overhead views of both classes. I will send them to you...not necessarily for those exact years, but they are of the correct (WWI) classes.

Regarding faired lines, I have noticed that many destroyers of the time period were very "slab-sided" amidships, with little smoothing. Unfortunately, I do not have any plans showing exactly how the transverse hull sections would have looked.
Old 03-02-15, 08:43 PM   #1253
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

On January 3rd I promised that research had started on at least one major liner; I finally started the modeling process. Here is what the model looked like last week:

Bow View:

Fixtures for above the aft deckhouse, where the 2nd Class cabins were located:

The model as of this evening: still a tremendous amount to do, and many errors to correct. Not too pleased with my anchor indentation - it needs to be revised. Apparently it was modified before the ship was lost (or maybe some of my sources are wrong?) I will be buying more material in the near future to ensure better detailing.

Some parts are "placeholders" until more detailed versions are completed, like the funnels and masts...

Most windows will have glass, instead of being part of the .dds file:

Old 03-02-15, 11:26 PM   #1254
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Can tell by the ventilation shafts that's one of the Cunard ships you're making. More specifically one of Cunard's speedy duo. Can't tell if it's the Mauritania or Lusitania though as the Lucy in every image I've seen only had the barrel ventilation shafts and not the horn shafts.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 03:40 AM   #1255
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Can tell by the ventilation shafts that's one of the Cunard ships you're making. More specifically one of Cunard's speedy duo. Can't tell if it's the Mauritania or Lusitania though as the Lucy in every image I've seen only had the barrel ventilation shafts and not the horn shafts.
You've got it.

Some time before her loss in 1915, "Lusitania" was given a few traditional curved ventilation shafts, along with the well known "trash can" style. As far as I know there were two large ones near the wheelhouse, and another large pair astern. A few small ones were towards the back of the ship. You can just make them out in the painting below.

Old 03-03-15, 01:47 PM   #1256
Admiral Halsey
Best Admiral in the USN

Downloads: 298

Oh yeah forgot about that. Also thanks for reminding me what a damn good artist Ken Marschall is.
Admiral Halsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 02:00 PM   #1257
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Nice stuff

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-15, 04:37 PM   #1258
the_frog
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by iambecomelife View Post
I have profile and overhead views of both classes. I will send them to you...not necessarily for those exact years, but they are of the correct (WWI) classes.

Regarding faired lines, I have noticed that many destroyers of the time period were very "slab-sided" amidships, with little smoothing. Unfortunately, I do not have any plans showing exactly how the transverse hull sections would have looked.
No worries for the years, they just refer to the class designation (there were R and S classes also in the 1940s). Any plan is actually welcome. Thanks.

Slab-sided amidship sections were common features also in later hull designs, including the hulls of the J and follow up classes .
And, just a wild guess, the hulls of R and S classes were probably not so different from the V&W hulls.
Old 03-03-15, 08:19 PM   #1259
iambecomelife
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admiral Halsey View Post
Oh yeah forgot about that. Also thanks for reminding me what a damn good artist Ken Marschall is.
Yes, he is. A good artist captures your emotions. When I was young, this painting always bothered me - if you look closely, you can see children running for their lives...

Frog, here are the pictures you wanted:

Old 03-04-15, 04:48 PM   #1260
the_frog
Commander

IMO, the S class is probably the most outlandish British destroyer design ever ...