SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 U-Boat Missions Add On
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-07-08, 02:37 AM   #1
Sirkam
Frogman

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0
Default Slow frame rate in Penang port

I decided to start a career in the German side. When i am docked, i turn the view to the right and i have a horrible poor performance. Is it normal? (however, never i started a career before).
Old 04-07-08, 01:19 PM   #2
Fortune
Watch

Downloads: 0

Same problem here. In all axis ports. When I look towards the village/harbour(those old and chinese(?) looking houses) the framerate decreases dramatically. But the weird thing is when I keep looking towards the village and move my "head" a little bit, the framerate gets back to a normal level for harbours after 10-20s. Just like nothing happened.

My System:
Athlon A64-3000+@3,5Ghz
2GB Ram
Sapphire HD2600XT
Windows XP-Pro

Runs fine with all turned on + 4xAA/8xAS, even in harbours.
Fortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 02:10 AM   #3
Sirkam
Frogman

My specs are similar: Happend the same thing in allied harbours?

P4 3,2 GHZ (LGA775 2Mb Caché L2).
2Gb RAM DDR400.
GF 7600GT 256Mb.
Old 04-08-08, 06:25 AM   #4
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Downloads: 135
Uploads: 52

Default Ja, das is a common experience

I thought it was just something us owners of lowly graphics cards experienced, but an owner of a shiny nVidia 8800GT, said no, it came with being in port. It's the increase in objects your computer has to keep track of at one time that the slowdown occurs. The most congested place is a harbor, so that is where we see the slowdowns. You can help it a little, and this applies to fleet boats and U-Boats.

Turn off your radar. That will cut the number of contacts greatly. Reduce time compression. There's nothing like the resounding crash of entering a harbor at 2048x with your controls frozen and that look of horror on your face won't save you!:rotfl:Other than that, slowdowns there are a fact of live. That's why originally harbors were so empty. The slowdowns are due to populating the harbors in response to players' complaints.

Must be hell to be a developer. Hat's off to all of them!
Rockin Robbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 07:16 AM   #5
EAGLE_01
Machinist's Mate

Downloads: 46

3.4 Dual, 8800GTX 768, getting around 80 FPS there in Panang harbour, free cam, on the bridge, wherever. I'd look elsewhere for your bottleneck...
EAGLE_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 08:12 AM   #6
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default Bottleneck's in the graphics cards

And an 8800GT owner reports slowdown as well. Of course with high-falootin' graphics cards, slowdown has a whole new meaning, like 80 fps! We're running about 30 fps in open ocean in bridge view and more like 25 with the 7600GT. A slowdown from there is a different situation.

Please reflect that people with modest equipment buy enough games to make them profitable. Without those players, those of you with high end cards would have no games to play. Hardcore gamers are a minority that cannot economically support game companies, even though they are prepared to spend more money.
Old 04-08-08, 09:26 AM   #7
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

I think its normal to go down to 20-25 FPS in ports like Penang. My rig is about 3 years old and I run a BFG 7950 GT OC, I am not shooting mutant spiders here so I don't need 150fps. You can always back off on the LODs and that other slider in Graphics Options, which I do, I really dont care what the docks look in fact I just bypass that and start at sea, I really like that option.

Plus, what are you doing hanging around the harbors, get out on patrol!

I plan on building a super rig as soon as I hear that Knights of the Sky is coming out or SOW: Battle of Britain, till then pfffffffffffffffffffft the Frame Rates.

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 12:24 PM   #8
peewee
Electrician's Mate

Downloads: 32

I have an Nvidia 6600gt. I can play the american side fine.......slows down a little when theres lots of stuff around like in ports but otherwise ok. To give you an example, I played a single mission where you intercept a japanese fleet, Palawan Passage? ON THE SURFACE just to see what happened and there was hardly any loss of frame rate at all. when I try to play the u boat missions its virtually impossible.......frame rates below 12. I wonder if its the old 'spray and limber holes' problem again........ or something to do with the type IX model..........it certainly isnt anything to do with the performance of the video card...............
peewee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 01:23 PM   #9
Wilcke
The Old Man

Downloads: 234

Quote:
Originally Posted by peewee
I have an Nvidia 6600gt. I can play the american side fine.......slows down a little when theres lots of stuff around like in ports but otherwise ok. To give you an example, I played a single mission where you intercept a japanese fleet, Palawan Passage? ON THE SURFACE just to see what happened and there was hardly any loss of frame rate at all. when I try to play the u boat missions its virtually impossible.......frame rates below 12. I wonder if its the old 'spray and limber holes' problem again........ or something to do with the type IX model..........it certainly isnt anything to do with the performance of the video card...............
Now thats a challenge! Well done! 660GT wow!

For the best in Fleet Boats go to: Submarine Sim Central. http://forum.kickinbak.com/index.php
Check out: A Brief Introduction to the Pacific Submarine War by Ducimus
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=128185
Operation Monsun plus OMEGU, the #1 ATO Solution for SH4!

Signature Art by Gunfighter
Wilcke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 01:47 PM   #10
peewee
Electrician's Mate

yup....of course I have ALL the settings on 'LOW' lol but I can carry out attacks against convoys both surfaced and submerged, go to the external camera, sail into and out of ports without any problems in the US game and I have various mods installed such as RSRD, 4 bladed props, betterscopes and so on....the german campaign is, however, a nono at the moment....impossible to play......
Old 04-08-08, 02:23 PM   #11
letterboy1
Captain

Downloads: 89

Are any of you using the PE mod? I experienced something similar when using PE with the camera mod that is included. I replaced the free cam with another one and the problem went away.
EVGA GTX Titan Black
1.5 T-byte HDD
Antec 1 KW True Power Quattro PS
letterboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-08, 02:43 PM   #12
peewee
Electrician's Mate

I'm not running any mods on my german game, what is the PE mod ?????
Old 04-08-08, 03:37 PM   #13
Rockin Robbins
Navy Seal

Default You're doing good peewee

I wouldn't worry about Pacific Environment! It's the replacement for Reflections on the Water environmental mod. It makes water look nicer, reworks reflections of everything, works up the sky to look really great, resizes the sun and moon to more accurate sizes and makes a mean taco when you get hungry!

I think I'd leave it alone with a 6600GT card though...
Old 04-08-08, 04:30 PM   #14
peewee
Electrician's Mate

ah ok I know it, just couldn't make the connection when ppl use abbrv ........

so, it looks as though, if I want to play u boats its SH3 for me.............very odd that one half of the game works fine but the new half doesn't though.......
Old 04-09-08, 02:15 AM   #15
Sirkam
Frogman

The better game to play with the german U-boats is SH3 + GWX 2.0 (and the 2.1 patch will be available soon).
However, in allied harbours happend the same (slow downs)?