Forget password? Reset here

Old 02-08-23, 02:49 PM   #466
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 10
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean C View Post
I've been open carrying for years and have had zero problems with "Karens" ... or those with more heinous intentions, either. The latter is one reason I open carry, and it has proven effective at deterring a bad situation before it starts. I don't ever want to have to use my firearm in anger, so I'd rather prevent than react.

I do get the occasional question about which gun I'm carrying. But that usually results in a nice conversation about firearms. Maybe it's because of where I live. I don't know.

I did have one police officer recommend I get a concealed carry license. But he didn't say why he thought I needed one. I might get one anyway, just in case I feel like being more discreet one day. I dunno.
I’m sure in a state where it’s legal to open carry it might be much easier to do it without some Karen giving you guff. But I think Torvald lives in Maryland which was just recently told by the SCOTUS it shall issue, its whole other world up there might take some getting used too.

In Florida it’s illegal to brandish a weapon, I figure the more discreet one is the less likely a chance some Karen or other busy body will get in your business. IMO I personally liken being discreet to a certain level of professionalism, but that’s just me. If you have a CCW permit and want to stuff a blunderbuss down your pants you go right ahead. . But I think a smaller discreet carry also lends itself to a comfortable carry and you’ll be more inclined to carry it. Rather than keeping your shiny new blunderbuss in a sock drawer because it jams into your crotch.

Let's assume I'm right, it'll save time.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-08-23 at 04:47 PM.
Rockstar is online   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 03:54 PM   #467
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Downloads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockstar View Post
If you’re looking for something to keep in the cars glove box, under your seat, purse, or carry in the woods any size and caliber is suitable. But if you’re looking for a dedicated every day concealed carry search more along the lines of frame size, grip and capacity, then practice practice and practice. The Sig Sauer P365 9mm & .380 are quite popular and reliable micros. The 9mm can be snappy as hell the .380 is much more tame and great for small frame ladies and Nancy boys . If you got large hands or simply looking for a better grip then the P365xl might be worth a look. All are a very concealable and most importantly IMO very comfortable everyday carry with high mag capacity for their size. Everyone and their mothers make holsters for them too, lots of options.

When I carry now, it’s just a .38 special off-duty revolver with hard cast wad cutters in a very comfortable leather IWB holster. I use wad cutters as hollow points don’t achieve the velocity from a 1.5 inch barrel making useless for their intended purpose . Though wadcutters don’t expand or lose energy like a hollow point, they do penetrate! I also found someone who makes a IWB holster for my old Soviet TT-33, 7.62x25 mm which I carry once in a blue moon. But that’s kinda clunky.

If you plan to go out in the woods where black bears I’d go with a +p 10mm hard cast wad cutter would penetrate like a freight train straight past flesh, bone, fat, right into the boiler room with ease. Unfortunately some semi auto’s are kinda a finicky when it comes to finding the right brinell hardness and wad cutters that will feed properly. It’s definitely worth the time buying a few different boxes and researching by trial and error so you’re not stuck with a malfunction when you need it most. Or just get a wheel gun.

I thought for home defense a Remington '97 filled with these would do the trick nicely:

https://gatekeeperammo.com/?product=...the-gatekeeper

However, I'm uncertain about the laws for home defense in MD. Knowing my state, you are probably required to retreat, if possible, while leaving cookies and milk for any home invader.
Old 02-08-23, 04:07 PM   #468
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torvald Von Mansee View Post
I thought for home defense a Remington '97 filled with these would do the trick nicely:

https://gatekeeperammo.com/?product=...the-gatekeeper

However, I'm uncertain about the laws for home defense in MD. Knowing my state, you are probably required to retreat, if possible, while leaving cookies and milk for any home invader.
IMO nothing beats a shotgun for protecting the home. I had a Remington M870 because I trained with it in military. Don’t mean to toot my own horn but I am still damn good with it. I can rack off the entire tube and combat load in the blink off an eye. Just keep in mind there’s difference between shooting someone for robbing replaceable personal items and shooting someone because you were in fear for your life. But again that’s me, I’ll do everything I can to not shoot someone. But I have absolutely no problem with it if I believe my life or my families life is in fear for their life. Make sure judge knows “I was in fear for my life” and if the circumstances show that, it’s a good shot.

Last edited by Rockstar; 02-08-23 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-08-23, 04:16 PM   #469
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
IMO nothing beats a shotgun when it comes to defending your house. Which in Maryland I believe is the last of the unregulated firearms.

My home defense shotgun:

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 04:31 PM   #470
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
My home defense shotgun:

I'm somewhat reminded of the Japanese LMGs of WW2 which had bayonet lugs, etc. Those amuse me. The hopper mechanism for the one, though, looks pretty bad.

Now, one long gun I DO want to get is an Arisaka, not sure if 6.5 or 7.7mm, though. Likely a carbine. However, I'm not alone in my desire for such a firearm, and I think the prices have gone up since I last thought about it..
Old 02-08-23, 04:37 PM   #471
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
I'm somewhat reminded of the Japanese LMGs of WW2 which had bayonet lugs, etc. Those amuse me. The hopper mechanism for the one, though, looks pretty bad.

Now, one long gun I DO want to get is an Arisaka, not sure if 6.5 or 7.7mm, though. Likely a carbine. However, I'm not alone in my desire for such a firearm, and I think the prices have gone up since I last thought about it..

You'll probably want to stay away from late war Ariskas then. I've heard their quality dropped significantly as it progressed.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 09:18 PM   #472
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Kentucky its open carry and conceal carry without a permit as long as you are legally able to own a firearm.

I have been on a Glock journey, got a G26 to replace my Kimber Nightfall which replaced a Bersa .380. I am glad I got rid of those two guns. But I am going to get rid of the G26 also. I've put at least a thousand rounds through it but the two finger grip even with a extended 12 round clip its very uncomfortable and she is a heavy little brute.

I haven't shot my G19, which feels just so nice in the hand. What I did do was buy a G44 since 22lr. is fun to shoot. I love this gun its is so light you think its an air-soft pistol. By itself easy to stuff in a pocket and doesn't pull your pants down. I have easily put a thousand or more rounds through it, hard to believe how reliable. Its so light a $20 air-soft shoulder holster works great, with two extra mags. I only put 15 rounds in the 17 round mags, loaded with some Aquila Interceptor hollow points (which is hilarious because they look like they have a dimple, compared to the 147 grain hydro shock lawman hollow points in my G26) but they have a satisfying kick and loud report (for 22lr.) when fired.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-23, 09:28 PM   #473
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
When I was referring to the 9mm being snappy it was in regard to what some (including me) perceive as a ‘snappy’ felt recoil inherent in micros like the 9mm P365. So Sig and others make excellent magazine grip extensions and though still snappy it gives the shooter a better sense of control, the XL size helps with that too. Both options still keeps the firearm concealed quite well and remains comfortable for all day carry. Which is important too, it’s called conceal carry for a reason. You don’t want others to know that you carry especially if you run across some Karen who sees it, accuses you of brandishing weapon and decides to call the cops while you’re waiting in line for your fries at MacDonalds. IMO part of a conceal carry responsibility is being as discreet as possible but still pack a punch.

I was never a big fan of the micro 9mm partly because of the control ability issues with them that you mentioned and the other part is staying on target. Because of advances in bullet technology, the 9mm is a respectable choice for concealed carry. If the weapons are the same size, the .40 cal is a better choice. The Sig Sauer .357 semi auto is another great choice.

Quote:
As for .380 it is thought to be a bit more forgiving. Hence my comment for ladies and Nancy boys that can’t deal with that ‘snappy’ felt recoil of a micro 9mm.

But you’re right if you can hit your intended target a 9mm or .380 is more than capable of doing the job. Also just FYI according to FBI statistics the vast majority of personal defense shooting situations occur with 12 feet. You really don’t need to go big or have some elaborate laser or dot sight or ‘tactical’ attachments, forget that crap. You just need be able quickly draw, point, shoot and hit the target and if possible do so without looking down any sights. Learn to use that thing we all have, a natural point of aim. And remember a CCW permit does not make you a crime fighter or a super hero. It is strictly for your own self defense.

The great thing about the Bursa Thunder .380 Plus is not only the 15 round clips but also the build. The Bersa is basically a copy of the excellent Walthers PPK and a basic blow back design. As such, the Bersa also has a fixed barrel with a spring around the barrel. It's accuracy is very good. You will hit what you aim at. Three dot sights are standard on the Bersa.

You also brought up a great point that I had intended to mention. Most shooting occur at distances at less than 12 feet, according to statistical analysis of shootings. If you shoot at someone from much greater distances, you will be hard pressed to explain to a District Attorney or a jury for that matter how the individual you were shooting at from a distance was a threat to you to begin with.

Chances are, you will be charged. I like the Idea of the .380 as you can incrementally increase the force you use without necessarily killing anyone with the first shot. That's not to say someone can't be killed with the first shot from a .380, it just makes it more unlikely than with a larger caliber weapon. The main point is deterring an aggressor from further attacks.

I bought my lady a SW .357 magnum revolver. I loaded it with + p hollow points in .38 for control-ability. I also have shotguns here, loaded. The revolver remains a great defense gun for a number of reasons.

1. The revolver is practically fool proof.
  2. The cartridges in a revolver are carried outside the gun. This protects the cartridges from having the primers fouled from having the oil from the internal parts in a semi automatic leach into your ammunition.
  3. Further, carrying ammunition in a clip weakens the spring. The first shot in the breech will fire but there is a good chance of the weapon jamming as the slide comes back. Not a good thing to happen in a home self defense weapon.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-23, 11:24 AM   #474
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Q: any opinions on the 10mm vs 9mm x 19 cartridges?

I was thinking about getting a CCW permit now that that's actually a thing in Maryland.
Ballistically, the 10mm performs better than the 9mm, either will be fine for self defense. having said that, the 10mm isn't quite as popular as the 9mm, so platforms are more limited, as is ammo choice.

My advice: find a gun range that rents pistols, test drive a few of their pistols. If you aren't a practiced shooter (don't shoot on a regular basis), take a basic safety course (most ranges offer them).

Then answer the following questions, the answers will give you an idea of the pistol you choose and the accessories that will go with it. ie; holsters & other qear.

when am I going to carry it: every day, all day,/ jogging / to the beach / to the opera / shopping / local festivals etc.

How am I going to carry it: inside/outside the waistband, under the arm, cross draw, appendix carry, 4 o'clock carry. etc.

After you have your pistol, go to the range and put at least a few boxes of ammo thru it. this familiarizes you with the pistol and it's quirks (they all have them, although they tend to be subjective). After that, take a defensive pistol & concealed carry class.

Remember, while it is your Right to keep and bear arms, it is your responsibility to do so in a safe & legal manner.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-23, 09:12 PM   #475
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Perhaps you could say the .22short was the first defensive cartridge round?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.22_Short

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_%26_Wesson_Model_1

G44 25 round mag dump

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-23, 10:59 PM   #476
Rockstar
Rear Admiral

Look at all those holes and dings in the ceiling!

Old 02-10-23, 11:55 PM   #477
Buddahaid
Shark above Space Chicken

Downloads: 160

Quote:
Look at all those holes and dings in the ceiling!
Well that gives me confidence...

I thought only Daisy BB guns suffered from spiral trajectories.

"Tomorrow belongs to those who can hear it coming."
David Bowie
Buddahaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-23, 04:47 AM   #478
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by August View Post
You'll probably want to stay away from late war Ariskas then. I've heard their quality dropped significantly as it progressed.

Some last ditch weapons might be amusing to own, but I'd never fire them.
Old 02-11-23, 04:57 AM   #479
Torvald Von Mansee
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaDef View Post
Ballistically, the 10mm performs better than the 9mm, either will be fine for self defense. having said that, the 10mm isn't quite as popular as the 9mm, so platforms are more limited, as is ammo choice.

My advice: find a gun range that rents pistols, test drive a few of their pistols. If you aren't a practiced shooter (don't shoot on a regular basis), take a basic safety course (most ranges offer them).

Then answer the following questions, the answers will give you an idea of the pistol you choose and the accessories that will go with it. ie; holsters & other qear.

when am I going to carry it: every day, all day,/ jogging / to the beach / to the opera / shopping / local festivals etc.

How am I going to carry it: inside/outside the waistband, under the arm, cross draw, appendix carry, 4 o'clock carry. etc.

After you have your pistol, go to the range and put at least a few boxes of ammo thru it. this familiarizes you with the pistol and it's quirks (they all have them, although they tend to be subjective). After that, take a defensive pistol & concealed carry class.

Remember, while it is your Right to keep and bear arms, it is your responsibility to do so in a safe & legal manner.

Actually, given the probable range of any self-defense scenario, just about any cartridge will do if one keeps one's cool and shoots straight.
Old 02-11-23, 10:33 AM   #480
MaDef
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 5

Quote:
Actually, given the probable range of any self-defense scenario, just about any cartridge will do if one keeps one's cool and shoots straight.
There are a lot of caveats in that statement.
MaDef is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firearms, gun, guns, rifles