SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-06-20, 01:15 AM   #931
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by the beast View Post
It is an Anysu Auxillary Transport or something like that. I don't think I shelled out to windows. This is my mod list:

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[C:\Steam\steamapps\common\Silent Hunters wolves of the pacific\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_UltimateEdition_v1.004.a_EN
501_Optional - Same Sized Dials
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters

I do not think I had mixed mods in the save folder.
We'll take a look, but you think it was the Ansyu Maru, not the Ada or Aden?

Quote:
I encountered the same thing too. It was somewhere close to that number of torpedoes to sink her. I was wondering if the mod team could remove it until the date it actually put to sea? It annoys me.
The Yamato was commissioned on December 16, 1941, and did testing and training around Japanese homewaters beginning in February 1942, sailing for her first "mission" on May 29, 1942 to participate in supporting what became the Battle of Midway. We have removed most, if not all of the "GENERIC" calls for a BB just so the Yamato doesn't sail "early". Where are you seeing her early, and which general direction is she traveling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mios 4Me View Post
After both periscopes were knocked out by DC, the CE reported one was repaired at 2010 and the other at 2014. When I rapidly came to periscope depth, prepared to fire stern tubes, neither of the periscopes worked.

USS Quillback, Tench class, 3/24/45 @ 2015, 121 22' 05" E, 25 45' 07" N, Patrol Area 11-B

Win10 Pro, 64 bit, 1.8/1.99 GHz CPU, 16 GB RAM, Intel UHD 620.
The periscope has several sub-systems associated with it. Your crew cannot repair damage to the head or tubes outside of the submarine, but they can repair the "well" portions, like lift and rotate, though I do not think the game differentiates between the systems. We'll look through the messages for that though in case we dropped a word from the repair phrase.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
Believe it or not I stumbled across ANOTHER one of those guys today, hanging out inside an atoll southwest of Midway, inbound on my last patrol (mid-1943).

Of course I was down to only 5 torps total, so I didn't even bother. I settled for sinking a few of the smaller fish that were milling about.
Eniwetok? Sept-Oct 1943 she was there... I can't remember when for the side-trip toward Wake, nor why... Then of course, the Musashi didn't always sit around either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Has anything been attempted, to see if such a report could be generated...
Oh yes, many attempts, but the game doesn't give you anything to hook onto.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:51 AM   #932
WH4K
Frogman

Downloads: 56
Uploads: 0
Default Station view reset

Is there any way to reset the various station views to defaults?

I find that if I use the camera controls to move my "Bridge" view around, as I must when part of the sub or someone's head is in the way, the view stays there across saving & loading.

Also - I am having a persistent problem with the game crashing when I try to load a recent save. I am not touching the savegame folder between playing sessions, so I don't understand how the saves can get "corrupted" just sitting there.

I get as far as the "No mission too difficult" screen that you see just before getting into the actual game.

Typically, I'll have to go way back in my patrol. Once or twice, I've had to go all the way back to the "OnLeavingBase" auto-save & restart that patrol.

I've already lost one war career this way, because I had already deleted the oldest saves.

This will happen between sessions of SH4. Rebooting my PC has no effect.

FWIW, I am usually running in Windowed mode. Tried Fullscreen and while I can load some of the later saves that previously would just crash, they also crash after a minute or so of playing. Rats.

Last edited by WH4K; 05-06-20 at 09:01 AM.
WH4K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 08:55 AM   #933
WH4K
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Eniwetok? Sept-Oct 1943 she was there... I can't remember when for the side-trip toward Wake, nor why... Then of course, the Musashi didn't always sit around either.
Re: Yamato, yep, that's where she, and a TON of other warships, are just sorta hanging out.

Thing is, they also respawn. I'll go in, sink a couple of carriers and destroyers, then go reload torps. When I come back, those ships are alive again. Odd.
Old 05-06-20, 08:58 AM   #934
Texas Red
Fastest Gun Around

Downloads: 527
Uploads: 5

I'm positive it was the Ansyu Maru. When I saw the Yamato, it was maybe around late 1942 If that is historically accurate, then I need to go to the library and check out some books to refresh my knowledge.

I'm not very active on the forums anymore. If you have a question, please DM me and I'll respond ASAP!
Texas Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 10:40 AM   #935
WH4K
Frogman

You don't even need to go to a library. This site has oodles of data on Japanese merchant shipping in the WW2 era:

https://maritime.org/doc/id/oni208j-...hips/index.htm

I don't know whether it existed at the time SH4 was being developed, but would have been an amazing resource.
Old 05-06-20, 11:45 AM   #936
Mios 4Me
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Also - I am having a persistent problem with the game crashing when I try to load a recent save. I am not touching the savegame folder between playing sessions, so I don't understand how the saves can get "corrupted" just sitting there.

I get as far as the "No mission too difficult" screen that you see just before getting into the actual game.

Typically, I'll have to go way back in my patrol. Once or twice, I've had to go all the way back to the "OnLeavingBase" auto-save & restart that patrol.

I've already lost one war career this way, because I had already deleted the oldest saves.

That's unfortunately a hallmark of the stock game itself. I'd hoped the mod might magically cure it, but of course it's still there. I'd sneaked into Tokyo Bay almost to Kawasaki, then saved and shut down last night. Now it won't load anything all the way back to the previous game day. Grrr....

One cause seems to be shelling out to another program, or, as in my case, having the manufacturer very helpfully interrupt with popups for the latest "enhancements".
Mios 4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 01:45 PM   #937
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:

I find that if I use the camera controls to move my "Bridge" view around, as I must when part of the sub or someone's head is in the way, the view stays there across saving & loading.

FWIW, I am usually running in Windowed mode. Tried Fullscreen and while I can load some of the later saves that previously would just crash, they also crash after a minute or so of playing. Rats.
i have experienced this also. i've attributed it to corrupt Savegames folder.
the only way i found to cure it was to delete the entire SaveGames folder with all of the subfolders (and lose your career) or de-install SH4 (completely) and re-install to a slightly different named folder...also deleting the SaveGame folder.
sorry, buddy. don't shoot at me...shoot at UBI for designing a weak-kneed save-load module.
good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 02:50 PM   #938
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

SHO Re: "BB Yamato Class - damaged" report

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Has anything been attempted, to see if such a report could be generated...
Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Oh yes, many attempts, but the game doesn't give you anything to hook onto.

Damn, a shame that...

Ahh well... never hurts to ask..

Old 05-06-20, 03:28 PM   #939
jlan5031
Swabbie

Downloads: 123
Default External camera Solved

Solved(After a fashion)!
My thanks for your replies and suggestions. After laboriously reinstalling everything, I discovered the external camera seems to always on. All I have to do is use the arrows to get back into the bridge. I tend to panic easily when working with computers.
Thanks again
jlan5031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-20, 07:44 PM   #940
propbeanie

Quote:

The last there indicates a problem with running out of RAM for the game. If you back off the "fancy" display settings, and just go with simple settings to see if that helps, in that regard. What is your mod list? As for the game camera, there will be an option for that in this next release.

Quote:
Re: Yamato, yep, that's where she, and a TON of other warships, are just sorta hanging out.

Thing is, they also respawn. I'll go in, sink a couple of carriers and destroyers, then go reload torps. When I come back, those ships are alive again. Odd.
That is the way the game is... You leave the scene, and come back later, and there they are again. At least that way, you'll not run out of things to do in that time period of the game... - For information on what they were up to being there at Eniwetok, be sure and read all you can find at Combined Fleet. Very nice site.

Quote:
I'm positive it was the Ansyu Maru. When I saw the Yamato, it was maybe around late 1942 If that is historically accurate, then I need to go to the library and check out some books to refresh my knowledge.
Thanks for the confirmation of Ansyu Maru, and yes, that is an appropriate time period. In late 1942, Yamato would have been parked at Truk, Musashi would have been running about Home waters fitting out and training.

Quote:
You don't even need to go to a library. This site has oodles of data on Japanese merchant shipping in the WW2 era:

https://maritime.org/doc/id/oni208j-...hips/index.htm

I don't know whether it existed at the time SH4 was being developed, but would have been an amazing resource.
Pampanito! Good site WH4K! All the stuff existed, just a matter of finding it in Washington DC back then. Most info would have cleared "Top Secret" status by then...

Old 05-07-20, 07:28 AM   #941
Larrywb57
Tazmanian Devil

Downloads: 366

Quote:

I have recently started waiting for up to ten minutes before exiting the game to give the SH4 program time to 'write' the saved files. I also would only keep up to three or four saved games in the saved folder, thinking it would help in not causing corrupted saves. Since giving the program time to write the file to the saved folder, I have not had a CTD. I read what CapnScurvy wrote in a post about the auto-saves on entering and exiting your home port that he believed that was a cause of corrupted saves. https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...&page=5&post#7. And now I have more than ten saves in my folder. I save after sinking a ship and restarting the program so I don't hear the engine noise on sonar thinking I have a new contact. I also don't run any other programs while I'm in the SH4 program. This is a habit I did with my older computer.

I hope that you are able to get this resolved because I know how frustrating it can be to go back to an earlier save and lose all the tonnage you sunk! : salute:
C:\...100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v.1.8
Larrywb57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 08:20 AM   #942
WH4K
Frogman

Machine has 16 GB RAM, and I enabled Large Address Aware, so the game should not be running out of RAM.

I've watched the game's resource use in Task Manager while running in Windowed mode. RAM consumption never goes beyond about 1800 MB, even when the game crashes. So I don't see how it could be running out of RAM.
Old 05-07-20, 11:16 AM   #943
propbeanie

Not so much your RAM, but the OS and the game. Do you have other mods loaded? Try removing them one at a time and see what happens. Are there "utility" programs running in the background of Windows? Try closing them one at a time and testing. I'm not talking about a virus scanner or firewall - unless they're just plain inefficient... But use your Resource Monitor to view what's happening with other apps. It's been a while since I was "into the depths" of Windows and all things Microsoft, but SH4 probably runs in a "shared memory" area, since it's an older, "legacy" app, so it probably runs with everything else "legacy". Even with LAA and 16g of RAM, the game is still limited to a set amount of resources by Windows. The OS and applications written for 64-bit addressing can use the 16g, but not SH4. Maybe 4gig...

Old 05-07-20, 12:33 PM   #944
XenonSurf
Sea Lord

Downloads: 107
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Machine has 16 GB RAM, and I enabled Large Address Aware, so the game should not be running out of RAM.

I've watched the game's resource use in Task Manager while running in Windowed mode. RAM consumption never goes beyond about 1800 MB, even when the game crashes. So I don't see how it could be running out of RAM.

Do you always save in different slots and don't load autosaves?
XenonSurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-20, 01:32 PM   #945
WH4K
Frogman

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenonSurf View Post
Do you always save in different slots and don't load autosaves?
Nope. Sometimes the "OnLeavingBase" autosave is all that's left of my career, so I have no choice but to start over from there.