SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-27-23, 06:02 AM   #1
pmcmull
Bosun

Downloads: 46
Uploads: 0
Default FOTRSU and the airplanes

I cleaned out one of my copies of SH4. And did a fresh install from Steam. Then I downloaded and installed FOTRSU v1.8, and installed it. Following the instructions from the downloads section. I ran a couple of quick missions and it looks fine. One note, if you need to change the graphics settings like the resolution, you have to exit the program and restart to see the changes.

So I started a career for 1942 and taking a long patrol from Pearl Harbor to the coast of Japan, in a Gar class sub. As I am getting closer to Japan, but still hundreds of miles out, I am getting a huge number of Jap planes on patrol, some with bombs. It is like a constant stream of them from first light to the end of sunset. It it really supposed to be that way? Is there a way to reduce the volume of the planes? It can't be realistic.

Pat
pmcmull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-23, 08:16 AM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmcmull View Post
I cleaned out one of my copies of SH4. And did a fresh install from Steam. Then I downloaded and installed FOTRSU v1.8, and installed it. Following the instructions from the downloads section. I ran a couple of quick missions and it looks fine. One note, if you need to change the graphics settings like the resolution, you have to exit the program and restart to see the changes.

So I started a career for 1942 and taking a long patrol from Pearl Harbor to the coast of Japan, in a Gar class sub. As I am getting closer to Japan, but still hundreds of miles out, I am getting a huge number of Jap planes on patrol, some with bombs. It is like a constant stream of them from first light to the end of sunset. It it really supposed to be that way? Is there a way to reduce the volume of the planes? It can't be realistic.

Pat
the trick is to not be detected by the first aircraft.
once you are detected, there will be "a huge number of Jap planes on patrol, some with bombs."
use your SD radar to detect them and when detected, dive immediately to 150 ft minimum and change course, even by as little as 20 degrees.

yes, there is a way to reduce the volume of planes. i believe that there is a mod within FOTRSU that modifies that setting.
if you want to change it further....that can be done with an additional mod.

good luck!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-23, 10:52 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 440
Uploads: 2

There is no mod in FotRSU for changing the airplanes. Only their radar assignments. However, Webster's Better Air Patrols for v1.4 and v1.5 will function OK on top of FotRSU. But - another "However" - that will re-instate the "Range" level back to Stock. I have a question for you though pmcmull: Did you empty the Save folder prior to playing the game modded with FotRSU? That folder defaults to "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", but might be elsewhere if you used the MultiSH4 app to change it. Deleting the Save data will force the game to "refresh" all of the data in that folder, and therefore include all of the modded data. JSGME will not (cannot) replace files that already exist, so if you still have the "Stock" game's AirStrike.cfg file, then you will get more contacts, and from further away than with a "clean" FotRSU.

As KaleunMarco says, once your boat is spotted, the enemy will focus on were you were, and the direction you are traveling in. It then falls back to the old grade school question of "If Sub A is traveling at 9 knots, and Airplane B is traveling at 212 knots, where will they meet?"... and 9 knots means you can get at 9 nautical miles away... even at 20 knots, it's only 20nm within the next hour... you could have 10 planes on you easily in that time frame. As KaleunMarco said, "... dive immediately to 150 ft minimum and change course..." So when you get an "Aircraft spotted, sir!" message, immediately call for a Crash Dive!!! and get under. Once under, change your course. Stay down for roughly 6-10 minutes if you're adventurous, and come up to radar depth - use the periscope at Perscope Depth though, and go back down if a plane is sighted. You boat is visible down to a depth of roughly 150 feet in FotRSU, like in TMO, if an airplane passes over at the correct angle. That is the same thing as being spotted on the surface... I have been bombed more than once while coming to PD for a look-see, so do be careful. If you are spotted again prior to the "time" running out on the AirStrike config, then that timer starts over again, and you will have more planes again. I do not recall how long it takes to reset, but 4 hours?? It is in the file at the bottom, but Ubisoft's version of "math" (such a headache) is involved... Anyway, you could always play it safe and just mosey along at 150-200 foot for a few hours on that course change you made, then do the look-see at Periscope Depth as you come up to Radar Depth, prior to just arbitrarily surfacing, only to find that there is a CV Group just off your port bow, with a half-dozen planes overhead, and 8 DD waiting to drop boom-boom on you... btw, refer to the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back" jpeg files in the game's root folder for the valid keypresses available in the modded game... a <Ctrl><C> in a LOT faster than hunt and click menu presses...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-23, 03:44 PM   #4
pmcmull
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
the trick is to not be detected by the first aircraft.
once you are detected, there will be "a huge number of Jap planes on patrol, some with bombs."
use your SD radar to detect them and when detected, dive immediately to 150 ft minimum and change course, even by as little as 20 degrees.

yes, there is a way to reduce the volume of planes. i believe that there is a mod within FOTRSU that modifies that setting.
if you want to change it further....that can be done with an additional mod.

good luck!
Good point about avoiding the first detection and not attracting the attention. But I don't want to have to spend the whole day submerged. At least until getting to the patrol area.
But it feels like either there are 100s of ASW patrol planes in Japan-controlled areas. Or else there are more than one airbase concentrating on just my one little sub.

Pat
Old 10-27-23, 04:19 PM   #5
pmcmull
Bosun

Icon7 I made the front page !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
There is no mod in FotRSU for changing the airplanes. Only their radar assignments. However, Webster's Better Air Patrols for v1.4 and v1.5 will function OK on top of FotRSU. But - another "However" - that will re-instate the "Range" level back to Stock. I have a question for you though pmcmull: Did you empty the Save folder prior to playing the game modded with FotRSU? That folder defaults to "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", but might be elsewhere if you used the MultiSH4 app to change it. Deleting the Save data will force the game to "refresh" all of the data in that folder, and therefore include all of the modded data. JSGME will not (cannot) replace files that already exist, so if you still have the "Stock" game's AirStrike.cfg file, then you will get more contacts, and from further away than with a "clean" FotRSU.

As KaleunMarco says, once your boat is spotted, the enemy will focus on were you were, and the direction you are traveling in. It then falls back to the old grade school question of "If Sub A is traveling at 9 knots, and Airplane B is traveling at 212 knots, where will they meet?"... and 9 knots means you can get at 9 nautical miles away... even at 20 knots, it's only 20nm within the next hour... you could have 10 planes on you easily in that time frame. As KaleunMarco said, "... dive immediately to 150 ft minimum and change course..." So when you get an "Aircraft spotted, sir!" message, immediately call for a Crash Dive!!! and get under. Once under, change your course. Stay down for roughly 6-10 minutes if you're adventurous, and come up to radar depth - use the periscope at Perscope Depth though, and go back down if a plane is sighted. You boat is visible down to a depth of roughly 150 feet in FotRSU, like in TMO, if an airplane passes over at the correct angle. That is the same thing as being spotted on the surface... I have been bombed more than once while coming to PD for a look-see, so do be careful. If you are spotted again prior to the "time" running out on the AirStrike config, then that timer starts over again, and you will have more planes again. I do not recall how long it takes to reset, but 4 hours?? It is in the file at the bottom, but Ubisoft's version of "math" (such a headache) is involved... Anyway, you could always play it safe and just mosey along at 150-200 foot for a few hours on that course change you made, then do the look-see at Periscope Depth as you come up to Radar Depth, prior to just arbitrarily surfacing, only to find that there is a CV Group just off your port bow, with a half-dozen planes overhead, and 8 DD waiting to drop boom-boom on you... btw, refer to the "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Front" and "SH4_Q-Ref_Card_Back" jpeg files in the game's root folder for the valid keypresses available in the modded game... a <Ctrl><C> in a LOT faster than hunt and click menu presses...
Thanks for the detailed response. Let's see if I can clarify the setup on my PC. 2 PCs actually but FOTRSU is only on this one.

Did you empty the Save folder prior to playing the game modded with FotRSU? That folder defaults to "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", but might be elsewhere if you used the MultiSH4 app to change it. --- First I did a Remove and than a re-install of Silent Hunter 4 on Steam to my Steam library on the D: drive. Then I copied the whole thing to a new folder in the Steam library and name it SH4FRS. I have JSGME and Multish4 in that folder too. In the new folder I deleted everything in the MODS folder and ran JSGME and removed all active mods. The 100_FOTRSU v1.8 was downloaded from Subsim and extracted with 7-zip and placed in MODS. MultiSH4 was run to create a new Saves folder called FRS. LAA was also run on Sh4.exe . After that I ran the new modded game for the first time.

JSGME will not (cannot) replace files that already exist, so if you still have the "Stock" game's AirStrike.cfg file, then you will get more contacts, and from further away than with a "clean" FotRSU. Not sure I am following this, where is airstrike.cfg? Wouldn't this get replaced during mod activation?

Stay down for roughly 6-10 minutes if you're adventurous, and come up to radar depth - use the periscope at Perscope Depth though, and go back down if a plane is sighted. --- Can planes be seen from the Periscope? I can barely see them from the bridge.
Also I have learned the hard way, trying to shoot down the planes with at most a twin-20 gun is almost useless. First to find the planes. Then to center on one and lead it properly. Require more coordination than I possess.

Pat
Old 10-27-23, 04:38 PM   #6
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Can planes be seen from the Periscope? I can barely see them from the bridge.
use the Observation scope as it can rotate upwards with more range than the Attack scope.

Quote:
Also I have learned the hard way, trying to shoot down the planes with at most a twin-20 gun is almost useless. First to find the planes. Then to center on one and lead it properly. Require more coordination than I possess.

Pat
THIS is why you have a parade of aircraft following you across the blue Pacific. (lol)

pull the cotter pins and stow the flak guns.

the first contact is the key. or should i say: avoiding the first contact is the key.

if you post your JSGME config, i can build you an aircraft mod that will shorten the parade. However, you have to promise not to go trying shoot down any more patrolling aircraft.

LAA enabled
Old 10-27-23, 05:37 PM   #7
pmcmull
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
use the Observation scope as it can rotate upwards with more range than the Attack scope.

THIS is why you have a parade of aircraft following you across the blue Pacific. (lol)

pull the cotter pins and stow the flak guns.

the first contact is the key. or should i say: avoiding the first contact is the key.

if you post your JSGME config, i can build you an aircraft mod that will shorten the parade. However, you have to promise not to go trying shoot down any more patrolling aircraft.

Well the first part is easy enough. I've given up on the AA shooting in the career missions. Waste of time. And ammo.

JSGME list of mods. Very short. I have Nihon Kaigun and Nippon Maru downloaded and extracted but did not activate yet.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SH4FRS\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8

Pat
Old 10-27-23, 06:27 PM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Well the first part is easy enough. I've given up on the AA shooting in the career missions. Waste of time. And ammo.

JSGME list of mods. Very short. I have Nihon Kaigun and Nippon Maru downloaded and extracted but did not activate yet.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[D:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\SH4FRS\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.8

Pat
ok, well, neither of those mods you mention includes an a/c files so we are good to go.

download this file: https://www.mediafire.com/folder/cfo....8+for+pmcmull

unzip it into your FOTRSU 1.8 MODS folder and then activate it with JSGME.

it must be activated after Ver1.8. it can go before or after the Maru mods.

have fun.

p.s. don't tell PB that i sent you a mod for his mod. he doesn't like that kind of thing.

LAA enabled
Old 10-27-23, 07:31 PM   #9
pmcmull
Bosun

air traffic 'special' mod.

I will try it! and Thanks

Pat
Old 10-28-23, 12:35 PM   #10
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

also remember planes can see a sub under the water to about 150 feet but honest dive soon as you can if caught on surface hit flank and then turn when they start to attack
Old 10-28-23, 02:31 PM   #11
pmcmull
Bosun

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
also remember planes can see a sub under the water to about 150 feet but honest dive soon as you can if caught on surface hit flank and then turn when they start to attack
I have been leveling off at 100 ft or so, thinking that was deep enough. Probably deep enough to avoid bomb damage, but if spotted they bring their buddies to keep attacking. I can go to 150 ft.
Old 10-28-23, 02:35 PM   #12
pmcmull
Bosun

KaleunMarco

Your custom documents have been very helpful. Now I have a next topic of "hull damage" but I think I will start a new thread.

Pat
Old 10-28-23, 04:33 PM   #13
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
KaleunMarco

Your custom documents have been very helpful. Now I have a next topic of "hull damage" but I think I will start a new thread.

Pat
not too much to say about hull damage except to say that it can only be repaired at your home base, not any base you happen to stop at along the way.

if you take damage to a compartment and your crew and DC cannot control the flooding such that you can control your depth, then you are headed to Davy Jones' locker. say your prayers and hold your breath.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 10-28-23 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-28-23, 06:25 PM   #14
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

Quote:
I have been leveling off at 100 ft or so, thinking that was deep enough. Probably deep enough to avoid bomb damage, but if spotted they bring their buddies to keep attacking. I can go to 150 ft.
i run about 170 feet unless in a old leaky s-boat then it's 150
Old 10-28-23, 07:01 PM   #15
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
KaleunMarco

Pat
then, please click the little diamond on my post and add a few comments.

LAA enabled