SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-27-10, 05:05 AM   #196
joegrundman
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 34
Uploads: 0

90 degree shots are not actually that difficult so long as you are competent at estimating target length and range -and with one of those you can calculate it all easily enough with a slide rule.

Torpedo parallax is much less of an issue at 90 degrees than at other large gyro solutions.

You already know, with a fixed 90 degree shot what the gyro is and that it is running perfectly perpendicular to your course, so all you need to know is the total forward distance the torpedo will travel from the position of the periscope before it settles on the 90 degree track.

Let's say the scope is exactly at the midpoint of the submarine, then the forward motion of the torpedo is half the length of the submarine, plus the straight run it makes to clear the submarine, and then the turning radius to get onto a 90 degree track.

So with a 100m sub, and a 10 m reach (the straight run) and a turning radius of 10 m, the total diference from the submarine point of view and the torp is 50+20=70m

So with the scope pointed at 90 degrees, the torp will hit a parallel point 70 m further forward.

So to setup your shot and add the 70 m at the target. For a 140m target, for example, to hit dead center you aim for a point at the bow/stern depending.

anyway it's how i used to do it when messing around with no tdc targetting
"Enemy submarines are to be called U-Boats. The term submarine is to be reserved for Allied under water vessels. U-Boats are those dastardly villains who sink our ships, while submarines are those gallant and noble craft which sink theirs." Winston Churchill
joegrundman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 04:19 AM   #197
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 114
Uploads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
I have found the problem with the dials, apparently (Must confirme with deeper testing) WDAD when selecting "Authentic" measurement assigns metric to the british boats

Now the correct, reworked dials are showing:

Hitman,

I know you hit a rock with the mod but even the one showing here above adds to the immersion factor that we are in a British sub !

I want it for the T Class mod and I think we should add it to WDAD too.

can you send me what you have ?

regards, (gosh I always write that )

keltos

keltos01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-10, 04:31 AM   #198
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 109
Uploads: 2

Don't worry I have not abandoned it. I just want to make teh graphics the better possible, the picture above is unfinished yet.

I will do the replacemente graphics, as they don't need menu editing. It's a full rework of the slide out TDC -with menu editing- what I can't do, so that will have to be shelved or wait until someone else can do it.
Old 12-28-10, 11:33 AM   #199
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

I must sadly announce that I found a further problem with the british TDC mod, that complicates it even more

Apparently, the Gyro Angle needle on the TDC's own ship dial (Lower one) will only move as much as the torpedo can actually turn. Keltos, in your modified torpedoes (Maximum 15º Gyro Angle) the needle will lock at 15º either side of the bow, and I'm afraid that if the Gyro Angle is locked at zero, then again the needle will not move at all. This means that the needle is useless for indicating the necessary lead angle as it should do, and we are unable to replicate the way the british TDC worked. Either the torpedoes have more than zero GA, and then all will work as with the US TDC, or they have zero GA and then we are clueless about when to shoot them.
Old 12-28-10, 12:09 PM   #200
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
I must sadly announce that I found a further problem with the british TDC mod, that complicates it even more

Apparently, the Gyro Angle needle on the TDC's own ship dial (Lower one) will only move as much as the torpedo can actually turn. Keltos, in your modified torpedoes (Maximum 15º Gyro Angle) the needle will lock at 15º either side of the bow, and I'm afraid that if the Gyro Angle is locked at zero, then again the needle will not move at all. This means that the needle is useless for indicating the necessary lead angle as it should do, and we are unable to replicate the way the british TDC worked. Either the torpedoes have more than zero GA, and then all will work as with the US TDC, or they have zero GA and then we are clueless about when to shoot them.
then set them in the .sim to 90° angle. it'll just be that skippers will only use either 0° or 90°, not trying to cheat by using other angles ?

would that do ?

keltos

Old 12-28-10, 12:48 PM   #201
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
then set them in the .sim to 90° angle. it'll just be that skippers will only use either 0° or 90°, not trying to cheat by using other angles ?

would that do ?
The problem is that skippers either used 0 or 90, not intermediate angles. The british TDC could not update Gyro Angles "on the fly", instead they were set manually into the torpedo, and by default it was 0º. This is the reason why the captain asked for an attack course and the officer operating the TDC answered with the correct one. The Torpedo was not changed to aim at the target, instead it was the whole submarine what moved to aim at the enemy AFTER the captain had chosen the Gyro Angle he wanted to shoot with (Which was either 0 or 90º for simplicity purposes)!

In the sim right now the Torpedo's Gyro Angle is updated constantly, allowing you to shoot in any moment instead of waiting at the correct course for the precise angle, which is what british submariners did. And if they missed the exact moment to shoot their whole setup was ruined, something that won't happen right now because the Torpedo Gyro Angle will be updated by the TDC...

The problem is that we still need the TDC to calculate the lead angle for us, and it will not do it with a fixed angle torpedo, because in that case the Gyro Angle pointer becomes locked. We could use a printed table for easy 90º track angle shots, but that would mean that only being perpendicular to the target is valide for getting a correct solution, which is even more limited than what british submarines could do! And the utility of the TDc would be limited to somehow check the accurancy of your estimations. I'm afraid we are screwed
Old 01-06-11, 03:30 AM   #202
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:
Default more T anyone

Hi all, happy new year to you all.

I've been tinkering with the T Class again, just can't put this boat down.

I have centralized the conning tower on the boat also raised it a tad to show the radio wires. The coning decking has also been raised and refitted with deck plating.
paint job is never ending, manky grey it said on the tin, heh

http://www.filefront.com/managefiles.php

sid

Old 01-06-11, 06:40 AM   #203
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Hi Sid !

can you place a direct link to the file please ?

when I click I get to my ff files ...

keltos

Old 01-06-11, 12:30 PM   #204
sidslotm
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

Hi Keltos,

sorry bout that, hope this one works, filing systems are not a strong point with me.

sid

http://www.filefront.com/17756778/WD...refit-1.0.rar/

Old 01-12-11, 10:26 AM   #205
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by keltos01 View Post
that data on gyros is hard to find I read it in a book I'm currently re reading.

Merry Xmas

keltos
The British report on HMS Graph (U-570) - January 1943 - mentions it:

http://www.uboatarchive.net/U-570BritishReport.htm

Quote:
Gyro Angling :
"Graph":
Any gyro angle between 0° and 90° R or L can be set automatically.

British Practice:
traight running or 90° angles only are used. The external angling gear on each tube must be set separately by hand.
Back to the problem at hand, which Keltos brought to my attention... I don't have more solutions than you guys. I should have thought about this one at some point and have the programmers ad some extra stuff to account for British practice, which was not completely unknown to me

I wonder if the firing button could be blocked when the gyro angle was different from a set of values?

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-11, 10:34 AM   #206
keltos01
Silent Hunter

from hitman :

http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/newr...eply&p=1556698

It's actually very easy with the US TDC, even if you set the torpedoes to the correct zero degree Gyro Angle. Here's how to do it:

1.- Determine target course, approximately, either by eyeballing AOB (To start) or plotting (Visual or radar). Get on a course that is perpendicular or, at least, something between 45º and 90º of the enemy track (So that the torpedo has enough angel of impact and does not make a dud)

2.- Feed the TDC with all the data, and start the position keeper. Make regular corrections as you see fit, by entering new data (New estimates of speed, distance, AOB, etc, as usual)

3.- Your reference for knowing when to shoot is the Gyro Angle needle on the "own ship" dial (The lower dial in the TDC). When that needle points exactly to the bow of the ship silhouette in the dial, you must shoot the torpedo. Why? Because at that moment the necessary Gyro Angle to hit the target is zero, which is exactly the only thing your torpedo is capable of

That's more or less how the british TDC worked, only that when the GA was zero you also got an audible warning in the form of a bellring or buzz

Quote:
Here's a graphical example:

The red arrow represents the direction your bow is pointing at. A torpedo that follows the same course as you, straight from your bow, is obviously a zero Gyro Angle torpedo, and it will follow the red arrow in its course -same as your ship's course.

Then the moving needle in the dial, highlighted in green represents what Gyro Angle must your torpedo do in order to hit the target that is shown in the upper dial.

Hence, when the needle matches the red arrow, that means that the torpedo must not turn at all to hit the target, i.e. it will be a Zero GA shot, and the moment of shooting has arrived.

Is it all understandable?

Old 01-12-11, 03:46 PM   #207
Hitman
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Quote:
Back to the problem at hand, which Keltos brought to my attention... I don't have more solutions than you guys. I should have thought about this one at some point and have the programmers ad some extra stuff to account for British practice, which was not completely unknown to me

I wonder if the firing button could be blocked when the gyro angle was different from a set of values?
Many thanks for taking some time to consider the problem Dan

Locking the fire button could be a solution, even if not a perfect one. If we can make it display the grayed-out graphic normally and highlight in red when the torpedo has a zero GA that would be somehow similar to the original buzzer and burning light in the Fruit Machine.

But I have no idea how to do that

Any suggestions on how to link the button graphic to the GA?

If the own ship dial was stationary, we could maybe solve it by converting the GA pointer into a circular dial with a hole that shows the button and makes it available only when the dial comes to zero. But since the own ship dial also rotates, the pointer shows the zero GA in any part of it, so we would need to have the fire button rotate all around with it, which would be confusing and probably also impossible to do.

Hmmmmm another alternative, since the own ship must somehow point close to the target line of sight (Top of own ship dial) could be to have the ownship dial be larger and hide the fire button until the own ship dial aims close to the line of sight ... say some 45º either side

But again we would stumble against the same problem, i.e. we would be free to shoot any moment with an instant-GA update on the fly insde those -/+ 45º

Not to mention that I absolutely lack the skills for modifying the menu.ini to do the trick with the dials
Old 01-13-11, 03:47 AM   #208
keltos01
Silent Hunter

side note :

isn't there a british sub in SH5 ? is it the U class ? maybe we could get its model and add it to WDAD ?

keltos

Old 01-13-11, 03:58 AM   #209
elanaiba
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 3

There is an U-class in SH5 but its exported as gr2 which sh4 can't read.

SH5 can read dat files but the reverse isn't true.

elanaiba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-11, 04:06 AM   #210
keltos01
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by elanaiba View Post
There is an U-class in SH5 but its exported as gr2 which sh4 can't read.

SH5 can read dat files but the reverse isn't true.
too bad

well how's the Fruit machine going ? I will send you more data later today on how it works : got it from "one of our boats" by Edward Young.

regards

keltos