SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Modern-Era Subsims > Dangerous Waters > DW Mod Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-15-05, 02:48 PM   #406
ohadbx
Swabbie

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

I'm sorry if this has been posted before...
I have installed the mod in version 2.01, but the splash screen says the version is still 1.01.
IS the mod supposed to change it in the splash screen?
Is there an easy way to check if the mod has been installed correctly?
ohadbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 03:38 PM   #407
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

The first question is easy - the mod doesn't change game version, you still have 1.01 game version only with modded database and doctrines.
The second question is more difficult... Is there any way to say if you are modded or not ? :hmm: If you have done backup of original database/doctrine folders (have run backup script) and you are not sure at which state you are currently, you may run Install or Uninstall script once again,nothing will broke .
To quickly see the difference in the game best would be... :hmm: I know, launch a missile (Harpoon, SS-N-27) and quickly go to sonar to see if it shows on broadband display as a bright line (US subs) or high spike (Russian subs)

Cheers!
Amizaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 03:42 PM   #408
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 2

ohadbx,

You could also check the dates in Windows explorer of your database files, if most of them are from september of this year, then you have the mod installed.

If most of them are from January of this year, then you have the stock DB installed.

That's how I check to see what I've got installed!
Old 10-15-05, 03:53 PM   #409
ohadbx
Swabbie

Thank you both! I think I got it modded now
ohadbx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 06:01 PM   #410
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Really on-line help, answers from both authors in less than an hour
Nice to see you here ohadbx, wish you good hunting with the mod
Old 10-15-05, 06:12 PM   #411
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amizaur
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow

How about this.....

1. give each missle a Active Sonar with a ping of a distinct frequency that give one ping when launched.
2. give each platform an Active Intercept sensor called "launchertransit" and with the ability to detect only the missle ping frequency.
3. Give the "Launchertransit" sensor 0 trackers. Tracker prefix "L" and a name "launchtransit"
Very interesting too ! Maybe even more promising, because almost everyone plays with active intercept autocrew, and a ping is nice audio warning that something is happening. The range of this dedicated AI sensor could be set to 20nm for example. Will try this, after correcting current 2.01 torpedo issue, thanx !
And it will actually make a ping sound? Yuck!
The transient system you have right now is pretty close to perfect...
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 07:37 PM   #412
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

The "ping" sound would have to be understood as "udnerwater missile launch" message, just sounding like a ping ;-))))
I'm thinking of that, unfortunately we can't have only perfect solutions with current engine. And missiles pinging at start is probably only way to make AUTO notification, without need to watch the sonar screen...
Of course missile launch will be still visible on broadband sonar like in 2.01 ! Just there would be additional ping sound and with enabled AI autocrew a contact line would appear on map named Missile Transient or similar.

BTW - I returned to Oleg description of how USNI database works and... I should make this month ago... It's in fact very easy to modify USNI descriptions, and it's a shame we didn't make it for 2.01 already. It's only little more difficult to install modified file because it's big and outside of database/doctrine folders (it's in graphics). But I think I can make backup of original USNI database file and build new at mod install and later switch modded/original versions with install/uninstall scripts just like databases So next relase of mod will probably have correct USNI descriptions
Old 10-15-05, 07:43 PM   #413
Deathblow
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
No its not. Its no where near perfect. Not being able to differentiate a launch transient from a normal broadband signal is equivalent to not being able to differentiate a active sonar ping from just another broadband source. Being able to delineate that the sound source was in fact a "ping" and not just another "sierra contact" is a crucial piece of information....
.....just as being able to delineate a source as a launch transient not "just another sierra" is as crucial a piece of info.

"oh by the way captain, did I mention that Sierra 21 was a active ping that probably detected us.... ooops forgot to mention that... oh and Sierra 22 was probably a missle launched at us.... forgot to mention that too... oh well."
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 07:47 PM   #414
Deathblow
Captain

Quote:
BTW - I returned to Oleg description of how USNI database works and... I should make this month ago... It's in fact very easy to modify USNI descriptions, and it's a shame we didn't make it for 2.01 already. It's only little more difficult to install modified file because it's big and outside of database/doctrine folders (it's in graphics).
ooooooo........ :hmm:
I want to play with the USNI database too.... where can I read about Oleg's description? Which file in the graphics folder is it?
Deathblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 09:53 PM   #415
Molon Labe
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 27
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathblow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Molon Labe
No its not. Its no where near perfect. Not being able to differentiate a launch transient from a normal broadband signal is equivalent to not being able to differentiate a active sonar ping from just another broadband source. Being able to delineate that the sound source was in fact a "ping" and not just another "sierra contact" is a crucial piece of information....
.....just as being able to delineate a source as a launch transient not "just another sierra" is as crucial a piece of info.

"oh by the way captain, did I mention that Sierra 21 was a active ping that probably detected us.... ooops forgot to mention that... oh and Sierra 22 was probably a missle launched at us.... forgot to mention that too... oh well."
The very large BB noise that the missile launch generates is hard to mistake for anything else in this mod. That's a tremendous improvement over DW 1.01, where there was only a tiny increase in signal that was nearly undetectable. The goal of the mod was to improve the realism and balance of the game without creating any new issues....the missile transient fix accomplished exactly that.
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-05, 09:58 PM   #416
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

The way the fix stands now, its also a balancing factor between Russian and Western platforms.

The Russians have better missiles, and the Americans have a better ability to detect missile launches, as the missile launches leave a very distinct trace on the waterfall BB which can be observed on the long-term scope, even if you aren't at the sonar station the moment the missile is launched.

However, if we can make an automatic signal without creating any new issues or something funny in game, then that works for me.

Remember, you don't have an inalienable right to an automatic missile launch warning. :P

If a more heads-up (heads-down in the sonar station?) player gets an advantage from the current system, I don't have a problem with rewarding diligence.
Old 10-15-05, 10:07 PM   #417
Amizaur
Sonar Guy

Guys, it's only an idea now !!!! Nothing more !!! I even didn't try yet if it works at all . Of course that I would like to know people's opinion (maybe little poll but only if I confirm that it works), and I won't do anything without consulting this with Luftwolf as long as he's online .

About editing USNI database - well not too far, search in this thread, page 12. And I searched for it half an hour only because I used wrong optio0ns in search engine One thing - when using decompress, give it a file name without extension, this is way it works for me.
Old 10-15-05, 10:13 PM   #418
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

I'm all for making the feature better!

Let's try.

I just don't want to add anything forced.
Old 10-16-05, 09:31 AM   #419
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

Quote:
The "ping" sound would have to be understood as "udnerwater missile launch" message, just sounding like a ping ;-))))
Does it have to sound like a 'ping'? Couldn't you use a different (new) sound, more like how a weapon launch would actually sound?

(I'm thinking now of how, in Silent Hunter III, I (at the sound operator's station) can actually hear the splash of depth charges entering the water, seconds before they explode.)
Old 10-16-05, 01:34 PM   #420
LuftWolf
Ocean Warrior

That gives me an idea Bill.

Or, maybe we could get the missile to sound like a member of the crew saying "Missile Launch Transient Detected".