SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 07-31-24, 01:17 PM   #1
StimpsonJCat
Seaman

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 0
Default 30 FPS limit? (FOTRSU)

Hello there,

I've been dipping my toes into SH4 with FOTRSU with the hope of starting a career soon. I've been reading through all of the included FOTRSU documentation, especially as it pertains to game stability, and now I have a bunch of questions. Until now all of my SH experience has been with SH5 TWOS. People say that game is finicky, but I found it to work very well with TWOS. The limits of the SH3/4 engine are making me question whether it is worth the hassle.
For frame of reference, I have a g-sync capable 38" ultrawide monitor with a 144 Hz refresh rate. Nvidia 4090 graphics card, 32 GB of RAM. AMD Ryzen 7 3850X CPU. Windows 11

-I noticed that it recommends running the game at 30 FPS as the game engine was never intended to go beyond that and that running higher than 30 FPS messes with the game's clock. Is that how everyone around here does it?

- If the clock gets messed up, is it cumulative or does it get reset if you save, exit game, and reload?

-Would the best way to achieve 30 FPS be using the nvidia control panel to limit the FPS to 30, or should I be doing something else?

-Is it OK to run g-sync while playing SH4 FOTRSU, or should it be turned off?

-The documentation mentions "antilag" to help with the 30 FPS clock problem. I'm unfamiliar with this. I did a search and only came up with some kind of AMD GPU feature.

-If i have to run the game at 30 FPS, when choosing in-game resolution should I choose the one with my monitor's native refresh rate (144) or choose 30 (is that even an option?), or 60?

-Is there any reason not to use the 2560x1600 which would match my monitor (except put black bars on the sides because its ultrawide aspect ratio)? I see most people run the game at 1080p or 1440p so I'm not sure if there will be problems going above that.

Thanks in advance for any help.
StimpsonJCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-24, 09:34 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Gone to Texas. No More Kleptocratic Government for me!
Downloads: 440
Uploads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post
Hello there,

I've been dipping my toes into SH4 with FOTRSU with the hope of starting a career soon. I've been reading through all of the included FOTRSU documentation, especially as it pertains to game stability, and now I have a bunch of questions. Until now all of my SH experience has been with SH5 TWOS. People say that game is finicky, but I found it to work very well with TWOS. The limits of the SH3/4 engine are making me question whether it is worth the hassle.
For frame of reference, I have a g-sync capable 38" ultrawide monitor with a 144 Hz refresh rate. Nvidia 4090 graphics card, 32 GB of RAM. AMD Ryzen 7 3850X CPU. Windows 11

-I noticed that it recommends running the game at 30 FPS as the game engine was never intended to go beyond that and that running higher than 30 FPS messes with the game's clock. Is that how everyone around here does it?

- If the clock gets messed up, is it cumulative or does it get reset if you save, exit game, and reload?

-Would the best way to achieve 30 FPS be using the nvidia control panel to limit the FPS to 30, or should I be doing something else?

-The documentation mentions "antilag" to help with the 30 FPS clock problem. I'm unfamiliar with this. I did a search and only came up with some kind of AMD GPU feature.

-If i have to run the game at 30 FPS, when choosing in-game resolution should I choose the one with my monitor's native refresh rate (144) or choose 30 (is that even an option?), or 60?

-Is there any reason not to use the 2560x1600 which would match my monitor (except put black bars on the sides because its ultrawide aspect ratio)? I see most people run the game at 1080p or 1440p so I'm not sure if there will be problems going above that.

hello StimpsonJCat,

my video setup is nowhere near as sexy as yours and SH4 typically runs fine at 60 fps.

i have not touched the default settings of the vid-card and set the ingame video to run at 1920x1080x60 and the game runs fine with these settings both on my tower with an Nvidia card and on my laptop with an AMD chip.

i would suggest that you might take the simple route and just use the ingame video settings and see if the games runs before you make changes to the vidcard.

whatever you decide to do, good luck!

km

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-24, 10:08 AM   #3
StimpsonJCat
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
hello StimpsonJCat,

my video setup is nowhere near as sexy as yours and SH4 typically runs fine at 60 fps.

i have not touched the default settings of the vid-card and set the ingame video to run at 1920x1080x60 and the game runs fine with these settings both on my tower with an Nvidia card and on my laptop with an AMD chip.

i would suggest that you might take the simple route and just use the ingame video settings and see if the games runs before you make changes to the vidcard.

whatever you decide to do, good luck!

km
Thank you. I can definitely confirm that the game runs on my monitors native resolution and even set to the native 144hz. Just wanted to confirm running at a higher FPS will not mess the clock up. I'll probably stick to 60 FPS since that is plenty and it seems to work for you. Probably don't want to push my luck with 144 FPS.
Old 08-01-24, 05:35 PM   #4
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 444
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by StimpsonJCat View Post
Hello there,

Front Runner did a study on "Base Time" in FotRSU in Base Time 2018 (Updated 2022). Read the whole thread if you really want to bore yourself to tears. We discussed all manner of detail on the subject, most of which we later discovered to be incorrect. The pertinent part begins in Post #87 of that thread. nVidia has slightly changed things since then, and AMD now has a way to control theirs, though I do not remember the "how" of that. Intel for a while had a quasi fps limiter also, but again, I do not recall the details. What we know for certain, is that if you use the V-Sync in the game itself, in an attempt to control the frame rate, that you will induce the "Jello Water" issue into your game, as well as some odd stutters and other graphic anomalies. The same is true for other "graphic utilities" written to older standards. The clock issue is real, and accumulative, but does get restored after a Save, exit, re-run the game, and load the Save. This is one reason why it is advisable in SH4 to save while submerged - but NOT while diving or when deep. That way, if you save when it is "night", and you load that save later, it might be "day", and there you are, exposed on the surface... Base time in and of itself does not affect game play, and most users will not notice it shifting, due to the various levels of Time Compression used by most people, and the fact that they do not generally play for an extended period of time...

"...and bollocks to the naysayers" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-24, 10:22 AM   #5
StimpsonJCat
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Front Runner did a study on "Base Time" in FotRSU in Base Time 2018 (Updated 2022). Read the whole thread if you really want to bore yourself to tears. We discussed all manner of detail on the subject, most of which we later discovered to be incorrect. The pertinent part begins in Post #87 of that thread. nVidia has slightly changed things since then, and AMD now has a way to control theirs, though I do not remember the "how" of that. Intel for a while had a quasi fps limiter also, but again, I do not recall the details. What we know for certain, is that if you use the V-Sync in the game itself, in an attempt to control the frame rate, that you will induce the "Jello Water" issue into your game, as well as some odd stutters and other graphic anomalies. The same is true for other "graphic utilities" written to older standards. The clock issue is real, and accumulative, but does get restored after a Save, exit, re-run the game, and load the Save. This is one reason why it is advisable in SH4 to save while submerged - but NOT while diving or when deep. That way, if you save when it is "night", and you load that save later, it might be "day", and there you are, exposed on the surface... Base time in and of itself does not affect game play, and most users will not notice it shifting, due to the various levels of Time Compression used by most people, and the fact that they do not generally play for an extended period of time...
Thanks. I'll keep playing and just see what happens. My default setup is turning off v-sync in-game and only applying it through the n-vidia control panel since that is what g-sync prefers.

I was under the impression it was best to save while surfaced but I guess that's not always the case.