SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-23, 06:27 AM   #31
Skybird
Soaring

Downloads: 9
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mork_417 View Post
Now that caught me off guard... LOL
Old 06-18-23, 11:04 AM   #32
Skybird
Soaring

12 more days to go...

Last edited by Skybird; 06-18-23 at 11:20 AM.
Skybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-23, 07:13 AM   #33
Skybird
Soaring

Besie the actual videos by Squirrel, he did a small series of videos some weeks ago, base dcon the staus of thegame just ebfore hte huge update in ten days. If you are new to Dderail Valley, this is the good way to start familiarizing yourself with what the game is.

Note that since quite some time now the game is no more VR-exclusively, but got added a 2D interface. I never checked it, but from all I read and see it seems to work very good, and it has done its share to make this game much more populare, since obviously the majority of players do not have VR headsets yet, but the game itself is very good anyway.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-20-23 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-19-23, 07:14 AM   #34
Skybird
Soaring

Old 06-23-23, 04:35 PM   #35
Skybird
Soaring

Just in:

Old 06-25-23, 10:17 AM   #36
Skybird
Soaring

Old 06-26-23, 04:54 PM   #37
Skybird
Soaring

This is THE dream locomotive of my childhood, since I got it in blue colour for my first (and only) model railway for chritsmas when I was 6 or 7 years old. Whenever I think "locomotive", this visual design and these looks are what immediately springs to my mind. I will love this one.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-26-23 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-27-23, 08:05 PM   #38
Mork_417
Lieutenant Commander

Downloads: 263

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skybird View Post
Note that since quite some time now the game is no more VR-exclusively, but got added a 2D interface. I never checked it, but from all I read and see it seems to work very good, and it has done its share to make this game much more populare, since obviously the majority of players do not have VR headsets yet, but the game itself is very good anyway.
A bit of a late reply, but yeah. I've only ever played the non-VR version. It works fine, never had any issues with it.

ONLY THREE DAYS!!!
Old 06-28-23, 03:02 PM   #39
Skybird
Soaring

One and a half day!
This loco seems like a lot of fun, with "DRAMA" written all over it. The interaction of gearbox and throttle is absolutely - well, I have no idea what it is like, but it certainly is a bit on the crazy side of things.

Last edited by Skybird; 06-28-23 at 03:27 PM.
Old 06-30-23, 10:31 AM   #40
Skybird
Soaring

T minus 90 minutes until download !

To shorten that time, a last update video by Squirrel, on the steam loco.

Old 06-30-23, 01:39 PM   #41
Skybird
Soaring

Release is delayed by a couple of hours. A last minute issue with their tutorial popped up within the last hours before planned release.
Old 07-01-23, 01:46 AM   #42
Skybird
Soaring

Its here!

Old 07-02-23, 01:48 PM   #43
Skybird
Soaring

I did my first ride in the new version of Derail valley, which is called "Simulator". At first, the voyage was dissapointing, the game crashed quite soon. I then relaised that the VR pixel-something slider was back at 100%, I tune that down in many games to 50-70, I set it to 65, and the next two launches were stable. Next I realised it was some time since I last time played it (waiting for this overhaul), some details one needs to know in handling the hand controllers of the G2 VR headset in order to gte all functionbality, its all there, but if you do not know the details, you miss some. And thatr can make you curse. When you can't ignite the lighter (which gets satisfactorily shut down by this typical hand movement you kinow form Zippos... ). Or dont know how to shut down the Petroleum light. Or you hold the book with station tables, but cant turn the pages...

I got it sorted out, its all there, but I took my time.

Then I did a simple walk thorugh the coutnryside. The new looks, the sounds, the haze, the change of weather and daylight. Its a new game. Then evenign came, the nights at the steel mill went up, and wetaher chnaged form rain to clear and sunset, then night... wowh, it looks incredibly good, sometimes even photorealistic. The world comes to life with these dynamic light effects. I spend five minutes just playing around with the throw of the pocket light, that good it is done. Or the petorleum lantirn, the adjustable flame size, the warm glow it causes on the close surroundings. That may not be decisive, but it adds tremendously to the atmosphere and immersion. The game looks imo extremely good.

I then used the sandbox mode to freely travel down the rails in the shunter and see what things are looking like now in th world. Industrial machinery is animated now, the factories and installations have a life of their own. The shunter behaves a bit differently now, not drmaatically different, but sufficiently so so that you take notice. There are more loco types now, and the previously existing ones above the shunter should be even more different now, see Squirrels videos above.

This has been handled by the devs now as a full 2D title as well, not just VR. They say that mores tuff is coming, and more locos.

IMO a benchmark title in VR, but also a fantastic train driving sim for everybody interested in real world or model railroads. The immersion is hard to overestimate. As a cockpit-sim as well as an open world title, it excels. The physics side of things make itself felt, and once you start to pull trains of higher weight ypou will relaise soon that gettign that up a hill without overheating the engine and coming to a standstill or even start rolling backwards, or to keep it properly braked during downhill without overheating the brakes, is a challenge and very different from the train sims that have been released so far. The title can be very challenging. Its not called Derial Valley for no reason. Especially the steam loco keeps you busy, I promise you.

While development is continued, I take this thing now as a full game release. The "simulator update" was what I was waiting for (since 3 years or so...) to complete it and push it out of Early Access. I wonder how one can still see it as EA. Even if they would stop now and only squash bugs, it would be a complete game now.

A tip for VR players: when in the beginning you get asked to look straight ahead and stand still to allow the VR system to callibrate, make sure you indeed STAND and do not sit, even if you sit during gameplay later on. That way you make sure you get the scaling right in the loco if you, like me, prefer to drive while being seated.

Outstanding title. Maximum points from me.
Old 07-02-23, 02:45 PM   #44
Skybird
Soaring

The DV Wiki:

https://derailvalley.fandom.com/wiki/Derail_Valley_Wiki

Possibly not yet up to date with the "Simulator" update from June 30th 2023.
Old 07-16-23, 04:45 PM   #45
Skybird
Soaring

Beware the momentum! Fear the lack of momentum! Build momentum! Use momentum! Master the momentum simulator! Its all about momentum. I learned it the hard way in the past days.

They did an ingenious job in balancing the challenges in this title. It can be hard, but never unfair. Physics are written in bold in this title.

And a note from the devs (a very small team, AFAIK):

Quote:
The 94% rating of Derail Valley and the 2600 simultaneous players peak at launch have topped all the current train driving sims on the market. Given our very humble beginnings, this really is the dream come true. The update release has been a great success so far, and we're hyped to bring you a lot more content and features to Derail Valley in the future!

Last edited by Skybird; 07-16-23 at 04:59 PM.