Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-12-13, 02:38 PM   #991
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 61
Uploads: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Knot View Post
Under traditional Japanese bushido, captives were to be treated with mercy. Surrender was common during the 1868-1869 Boshin Civil War that established the modern Japanese Empire. Japanese conduct during the Russo-Japanese War of 1905 and the First World War was also fairly honorable and professional.

It was not until after the First World War that the Japanese Army started to twist Bushido into a more brutal code. Apparently, seeing itself as disrespected by the Allied Powers in terms of territory awarded, and in the post-war naval disarmament treaties it was thought that more martial spiritual values would be needed to make up for material deficiencies. However, it was the often guerilla like nature of the endless war in China that really starting warping Japanese sensibilities. Often heavily outnumbered, the Japanese turned to ever higher levels of brutality to win territory and keep it won.
Aaah, thanks for clearing that up, I did wonder how Bushido went from the chivalry of its day to the horrific thing that occurred in WWII.
Oberon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 02:43 PM   #992
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Knot View Post
Under traditional Japanese bushido, captives were to be treated with mercy. Surrender was common during the 1868-1869 Boshin Civil War that established the modern Japanese Empire. Japanese conduct during the Russo-Japanese War of 1905 and the First World War was also fairly honorable and professional.

It was not until after the First World War that the Japanese Army started to twist Bushido into a more brutal code. Apparently, seeing itself as disrespected by the Allied Powers in terms of territory awarded, and in the post-war naval disarmament treaties it was thought that more martial spiritual values would be needed to make up for material deficiencies. However, it was the often guerilla like nature of the endless war in China that really starting warping Japanese sensibilities. Often heavily outnumbered, the Japanese turned to ever higher levels of brutality to win territory and keep it won.
Absolutely right. The irony is that traditional bushido placed great importance on the arts, literature and general learning, as well as codified rules of conduct and martial action. The goal was to gentrify the warrior class. The reality of politics in feudal Japan necessitated keeping relatively large numbers of armed men around. However, there would be major problems in having a bunch of swordsmen running around your city drinking and getting into all sorts of trouble. Bushido was used to turn their 'off-time' efforts to painting, music, reading and writing, as well as give them codified rules for martial practice and resolving of disputes.

The 'neo-bushido' of the Japanese militarists in the 1880's was about the opposite. The concept of death for the emperor, never surrendering and whatnot were designed to increase ferocity in battle. It was a decidedly Shinto approach, opposed to the Confucian and Buddhist overtones of traditional bushido.

EDIT: And, as Oberon noted, this was precisely the same problem that feudal European rulers faced. This lead to the occasionally-followed codes of chivalry in their effort to stem the problems of armed men with too much time on their hands.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 02:53 PM   #993
soopaman2
Der Alte

Couldn't a samurai behead a commoner for not bowing to them under Bushido code? Or even on a whim?

I do not think the brutality was new.

(defeated enemies also killed themselves if left to live, in shame, in that culture.)

Enemies were commoners to them, to step on as they please.

Kinda makes a case for the nuke, no matter how much they try to guilt trip us today.

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 03:04 PM   #994
Stealhead
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
Couldn't a samurai behead a commoner for not bowing to them under Bushido code? Or even on a whim?
Negative ghost rider.If you kill the guy that grows your rice then you have no rice and with no rice you have nothing.Farmers where the highest of the peasant class but they would not have gone around cutting of any peasant noggins.
Stealhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 03:04 PM   #995
Takeda Shingen
Navy Seal

Downloads: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by soopaman2 View Post
No. Samurai were not permitted to murder people for disrespect or no reason at all. Kind of bad for a lord trying to keep order. You may have seen too many movies.
Takeda Shingen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-13, 03:24 PM   #996
soopaman2
Der Alte

Thanks guys, I stand corrected.

*bows*

-Winston Churchill-

The most fascinating man in the world.
soopaman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-13, 09:24 PM   #997
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Contemporary, pre-emptive bump.
Old 09-16-13, 11:20 PM   #998
eddie
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
Contemporary, pre-emptive bump.
Trying to prepare us for the onslaught Oberon? (look at that, I spelled your name right this time,lol)

Al Capone
eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-13, 11:59 PM   #999
Oberon
Lucky Jack

Think of me as the man who puts up the railings for the queues at large events. Not that I personally imagine this particular incident will cause much in the way of backlash, dead adults are harder to sell than children, although the repetition about a woman being 'shot in the face' was a good attempt. Also, like Hood, it's a military facility, guns are to be expected, even if legislation was brought in, so outside of Jones and company, I can't see this one gaining any traction. But, that's not going to stop the usual suspects from the usual back and forth, so I figured I'd might as well sweep the floor and tidy up the cushions a bit in case we need to use this thread in the coming days.
Old 09-18-13, 08:25 AM   #1000
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Ok Oberon, here ya go:

(CNN) Opinion: Gun control is not the answer

I am surprised to see a thoughtful article out of that particular news source on this particular subject. Usually it's just more rehetoric. Some people over there might actually be starting to wise up.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 08:33 AM   #1001
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Ok Oberon, here ya go:

(CNN) Opinion: Gun control is not the answer

I am surprised to see a thoughtful article out of that particular news source on this particular subject. Usually it's just more rehetoric. Some people over there might actually be starting to wise up.
Especially when it's a left wing Obama lover like the author.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 08:34 AM   #1002
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

3 parts. Funny and also not.
TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 08:42 AM   #1003
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Sorry Tarjak, I couldn't get past the first 3 minutes of it. They grab some assinine clown, and then make a mockery of everything to further what appears to be an anti agenda. I'm assuming the rest of those videos is more of the same. I've heard so much rhetoric from that side of the issue, that i simply cannot stomach it anymore.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 08:49 AM   #1004
August
Wayfaring Stranger

Downloads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducimus View Post
Sorry Tarjak, I couldn't get past the first 3 minutes of it. They grab some assinine clown, and then make a mockery of everything to further what appears to be an anti agenda. I'm assuming the rest of those videos is more of the same. I've heard so much rhetoric from that side of the issue, that i simply cannot stomach it anymore.
Got the same impression.

Flanked by life and the funeral pyre. Putting on a show for you to see.
August is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-13, 08:49 AM   #1005
TarJak
Fleet Admiral

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 8

TarJak is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gun control, guns, radio wave madness