Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Classic Subsims
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-27-07, 10:17 PM   #1
ArmchairAdmiral
Nub

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0
Silent Hunter 2 - need major help

I've been trying for the past couple of days to figure this game out. I know how to plot courses but I just can't seem to hit the enemy with my damn torpedoes; I keep missing no matter what I try. I even tried approaching my target(s) for the side. Plus I'm having problems figuring out how to plot an intercept course (I can't figure out where he plans on going); I can't even get past the first mission in the campaign mode. My first target manages to reach his base before I even get CLOSE to him (thus I fail my mission). Can someone give me a little help? Thanks.
ArmchairAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 02:34 AM   #2
1mPHUNit0
Chief

Downloads: 60

Heheheheheehehe
Ahahahahahha.
Go slow and use sonar underwater.
The game it's still a great game and there is a loot of mood
and missions
Italian Alfa Tau one of them.
Vanilla its playabile and enjoyable
But modded it's best
Old 03-28-07, 09:33 AM   #3
ArmchairAdmiral
Nub

Downloads: 0

Yeah, I tried that. I keep my sonar on all the time. If I go slow my target gets past me because I'm going slow and he's going fast (dee dee dee). Also, even if I get right up to my target (like 300 meters away), point the periscope right at him, lock on (with "L") and fire I still miss. I'm I doing something wrong or do I just suck at this game? This and the newer games look really cool and fun to play but how can I enjoy it if I don't know how to play?
ArmchairAdmiral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-07, 04:37 PM   #4
Wim Libaers
Samurai Navy

Downloads: 4

If your target is fast, and you're not far ahead of him, you need speed to intercept. This means full/flank on the surface. This is obviously dangerous, so try to get ahead of him at long distance to avoid detection, then submerge and move towards his future path. A very fast ship may be impossible to intercept if you get behind it, which means you only get one chance to kill him, unless the game has him running in circles (which happens in some missions).

Also, when plotting on the map, SH2 and DC have a very annoying feature, with a map where horizontal and vertical distances are very different unless you are near the equator. That's a normal feature for some map projections, but hard to use for intercept plotting as the angles you see on the map are not real. You need to use the ruler tool on the map to get the real angles.

For torpedo shooting, you need to give the TDC a few seconds to create a good solution before shooting (near 100% on the readout for the solution). Make sure the offset angle is not far from 0. And turn the boat so the gyro angle is low (which means, turn the boat in the direction the torpedo will have to travel, slightly ahead of the target). If the boat orientation is not good, then the torpedo will have to make a big turn to get on the right course, which makes it less accurate. Also, always try to shoot into the side (big target), and from close range. If you use manual torpedo depth settings, check if they are not too deep, or the torpedo will go below the target and miss.
Wim Libaers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-07, 06:26 AM   #5
Heer Kapitain
Sailor man

Downloads: 1

Quote:
Go slow and use sonar underwater
don't you mean hydrophone, 1mPHUNit0

Quote:
Also, when plotting on the map, SH2 and DC have a very annoying feature, with a map where horizontal and vertical distances are very different unless you are near the equator. That's a normal feature for some map projections, but hard to use for intercept plotting as the angles you see on the map are not real. You need to use the ruler tool on the map to get the real angles.
I just point and click, it does the job

Quote:
For torpedo shooting, you need to give the TDC a few seconds to create a good solution before shooting (near 100% on the readout for the solution). Make sure the offset angle is not far from 0. And turn the boat so the gyro angle is low (which means, turn the boat in the direction the torpedo will have to travel, slightly ahead of the target). If the boat orientation is not good, then the torpedo will have to make a big turn to get on the right course, which makes it less accurate. Also, always try to shoot into the side (big target), and from close range. If you use manual torpedo depth settings, check if they are not too deep, or the torpedo will go below the target and miss
Thats why I leave mine on auto.
Old 04-06-07, 01:22 PM   #6
Packerton
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 6

Dont even play the Vanilla Campaign included with the game...its far too linier and has no room for mistakes at all.

I suggest downloading The Second Campaign or Pacific Aces
Packerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 03:46 PM   #7
1mPHUNit0
Chief

Downloads: 60

Ops heheehehh
Quote:
hydrophone, 1mPHUNit0
Yes, sure, excuse me
Old 04-06-07, 04:39 PM   #8
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packerton
Dont even play the Vanilla Campaign included with the game...its far too linier and has no room for mistakes at all.

I suggest downloading The Second Campaign or Pacific Aces
Also Hitman's 'Aces' campaign. It .

If you're going to use Pacific Aces be sure to set up a second install; it completely overwrites SH2.

But it 's worth it. Their Pacific campaign is cool.
Old 04-06-07, 06:06 PM   #9
Packerton
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 6

Too bad ya gotta donate to get Pacific Aces...Im probly gonna donate anyway even though I dont play SH 2 anymore (3 and 4 now) because this site is awesome.
Packerton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-07, 07:17 PM   #10
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmchairAdmiral
I'm I doing something wrong or do I just suck at this game? This and the newer games look really cool and fun to play but how can I enjoy it if I don't know how to play?
Give it some time, some trial and error, you'll sink your share

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote