SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-06-22, 08:40 PM   #1
Boarspear2061
Swabbie

Downloads: 13
Uploads: 0
Default Crashes when starting a new patrol in GWX OneAlex after completing several patrols.

Hello everyone, I'm afraid I am having what seems to be yet another flavor of crashing issue.

The setup: Silent Hunter 3 Steam, installed in "C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3," GWX with OneAlex, administrator permissions and Win 7 compatibility mode on SH3.exe, JGSME, SH3Cmdr.exe. "Rollback automatically after exiting SH3" active in SH3Cmdr. 4GB patch applied to the SH3.exe just in case (after the problem started) even though I am fairly sure OneAlex's is patched by default.

Enabled mods in JGSME:
Das Boot Music
Frozen-Harbors by OneAlex
Higher Air Strike Probability
Negative buoyancy
New Water (Atlantic)
No UMark
Units without Ponytails

The situation:
I can complete Patrol 3, finishing in December of 39. Patrol 4, starting in Feb. of 40 due to damage, is queued up. I can manage torps etc in the pre-mission screen, then select realism and start. Loading screen... and when the bar fills, immediate CTD. The reason I mention the date and patrol number is the curiosity: this is the second campaign this happened with. The first was an identical mod setup, except for I think a Type VII skin in JGSME, and that installation was in the default Steam folder. This one was in, as mentioned, a root C:// drive Steam folder, yet- the same issue.

I do not understand. I figure it must be something to do with the dates or with my SH3Commander stuff not lining up with what's in the game? But no luck. Tried loading in without various JGSME mods, tried getting back to port at the end of patrol 3 in various ways (e.g. Return to Base vs Dock at Wilhelmshaven for me), tried not promoting crew or promoting everyone I could. I just can't make sense of it. This is a fully clean install of the game, but for some reason I keep having the problem. I also kept my saves on the last patrol down in number, but surely total number of saves in the game wouldn't cause a crash?

I'm stumped. I've tried every fix I can think of and checked all the prerequisites that should be right; and again, I can play the game fine, just not past that point.

Anyone else had something similar? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.
Boarspear2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-22, 08:51 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarspear2061 View Post
Hello everyone, I'm afraid I am having what seems to be yet another flavor of crashing issue.

The setup: Silent Hunter 3 Steam, installed in "C:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Silent Hunter 3," GWX with OneAlex, administrator permissions and Win 7 compatibility mode on SH3.exe, JGSME, SH3Cmdr.exe. "Rollback automatically after exiting SH3" active in SH3Cmdr. 4GB patch applied to the SH3.exe just in case (after the problem started) even though I am fairly sure OneAlex's is patched by default.

Enabled mods in JGSME:
Das Boot Music
Frozen-Harbors by OneAlex
Higher Air Strike Probability
Negative buoyancy
New Water (Atlantic)
No UMark
Units without Ponytails

The situation:
I can complete Patrol 3, finishing in December of 39. Patrol 4, starting in Feb. of 40 due to damage, is queued up. I can manage torps etc in the pre-mission screen, then select realism and start. Loading screen... and when the bar fills, immediate CTD. The reason I mention the date and patrol number is the curiosity: this is the second campaign this happened with. The first was an identical mod setup, except for I think a Type VII skin in JGSME, and that installation was in the default Steam folder. This one was in, as mentioned, a root C:// drive Steam folder, yet- the same issue.

I do not understand. I figure it must be something to do with the dates or with my SH3Commander stuff not lining up with what's in the game? But no luck. Tried loading in without various JGSME mods, tried getting back to port at the end of patrol 3 in various ways (e.g. Return to Base vs Dock at Wilhelmshaven for me), tried not promoting crew or promoting everyone I could. I just can't make sense of it. This is a fully clean install of the game, but for some reason I keep having the problem. I also kept my saves on the last patrol down in number, but surely total number of saves in the game wouldn't cause a crash?

I'm stumped. I've tried every fix I can think of and checked all the prerequisites that should be right; and again, I can play the game fine, just not past that point.

Anyone else had something similar? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Check your dm... in the immortal words of AOL...

"You've got mail.!"

M. M.
Old 10-06-22, 09:07 PM   #3
Boarspear2061
Swabbie

Downloads: 13

I may have a solution - will report back with an update when I can. I may need to play through another 3 patrols before I know for sure.

Boarspear2061 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-22, 01:05 AM   #4
tarkalak
Swabbie

Downloads: 15

Try loading the last "in base after patrol" save.

In my case the game seems to break save while on patrol. My guess is this happens when I freeze and restart the computer while loading. The in patrol saves become corrupted. The last in base save still works, though. It is really annoying when it is late in the patrol.
tarkalak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-22, 12:04 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boarspear2061 View Post
I may have a solution - will report back with an update when I can. I may need to play through another 3 patrols before I know for sure.

Any word on how things went, there.... Boarspear2061...

M. M.
Old 08-08-23, 11:46 AM   #6
HHoppus88
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 19

Oddly enough, I'm receiving the same issues. Is my save corrupted now?
HHoppus88 is offline   Reply With Quote