Old 12-28-23, 05:41 PM   #1201
vienna
Navy Seal

Downloads: 85
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post

Thanks for the vid...

In case anyone is wondering, the still very attractive woman in the video is Kathy Etchingham, a writer, , who was Jimi's girlfriend for quite a while when Jimi first arrived in the UK; she is also Jimi's inspiration for some of his most famous early compositions, although Jimi changed her name in sing lyrics because Kathy was uneasy about being a song "meme", of sorts; The Wind Cried Mary, Foxy Lady, and a number of other classics were all bout Kathy; after Jimi's death, even though she and Hendrix had grown apart, Kathy fiercely defended Hendrix and his legacy from detractors and gossip mongers; a beautiful, gracious, and loyal woman...

The fellow in the video is Noel Redding, an original member of The Jimi Hendrix Experience, playing bass in the band; he had a rather ambivalent professional relationship with Jimi; Noel went to an audition when Hendrix and his management were putting together The Experience; Noel was originally a six string guitar player and thought he was auditioning to be a lead or second guitarist; however, given Jimi's overwhelming guitar abilities, the idea of a second guitarist was not in the cards; instead, Noel was offered the job of being the band's bass player; being out of work and skint, noel readily accepted the gig...

However, Noel harbored an undercurrent of resentment towards Jimi that would occasionally manifest itself by petty actions such as deliberately flubbing his bass lines on stage, playing in the wrong key, etc.; these are not just rumors: Redding wrote and published an autobiography where he openly admitted to his sabotage; he was known to have expressed some rather nasty racial views regarding Hendrix behind Jimi's back; Jimi was apparently aware of some, if not all, of Noel's actions, but he seemed unfazed and even assisted and supported Noel when he would offer songs to be recorded or when Noel formed a side project band, Fat Mattress; another funny thing about Redding's autobiography: he spends an awful lot of the book griping about how he was mistreated financially by Jimi's management and even goes to the point of giving detailed accounts repleted with financial tallies; an interesting book if you're a rock history fan...or an accountant...

The Handel/Hendrix House has been restored since the above was filmed and is now a famed spot in London for both locals and tourists alike; it also functions as a concert venue, recording facility, and an educational resource...

https://handelhendrix.org/

Trivia: Hendrix early on in London once shared a basement flat wit another guitarist, a fellow named Ronnie Wood (you might have heard have him somewhere...), but their tenancy was terminated when Jimi decided to white wash the flat's walls, upsetting their landlord, who promptly had them evicted; the landlord?... Ringo Starr...

Personal coincidence: when I first met my second ex, she was more of a classical music fan, although she did have a casual knowledge of popular music; she was often asking me about the various artists, groups, and songs that were popular at the time; we were once talking about Hendrix and I mentioned that Hendrix had lived in Handel's old home; she said "Oh, that's interesting; I'm descended from Handel." Turns out sha actually was a descendant of Handel, and her mother's maiden name was Handel; small world...

<O>
Old 12-28-23, 05:49 PM   #1202
vienna
Navy Seal

Another Jimi Hendrix cover by the Korean Blues Man; its amazing how he plays so cleanly and with such fluidity, feel, and ease...

<O>
Old 12-28-23, 07:38 PM   #1203
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 58

You're welcome vienna. I thought you'd be interested...... I'm not sure when it was filmed but given that they were talking about events maybe??? 50 years prior....she'd be about 70 !!!! and still a good sort

On another theme...I believe in reincarnation and given the ( well to my "observations" ) many music prodigies springing up ( a lot of them in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China....), it could be that a lot of famous musicians have "come back". Miu Miu Guitargirl, Nacoco, Moochan, Nini, to name a few. I'm no judge of the finer points of musicianship/craft but I can see their passion and dedication and it impresses me

Hope 2024 is better for all of us.

Eisenwurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-23, 08:08 PM   #1204
vienna
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisenwurst View Post
You're welcome vienna. I thought you'd be interested...... I'm not sure when it was filmed but given that they were talking about events maybe??? 50 years prior....she'd be about 70 !!!! and still a good sort

On another theme...I believe in reincarnation and given the ( well to my "observations" ) many music prodigies springing up ( a lot of them in Japan, Korea, Taiwan, China....), it could be that a lot of famous musicians have "come back". Miu Miu Guitargirl, Nacoco, Moochan, Nini, to name a few. I'm no judge of the finer points of musicianship/craft but I can see their passion and dedication and it impresses me

Hope 2024 is better for all of us.

Kathy Etchingham is now 77 year old and Noel Redding died in 2003, so Kathy was in around her 50s in the video you posted; the Handel/Hendrix clip is fairly recent, so was probably in her 60s in that clip...

Still a very elegant lady...

I agree there is an awful lot of really impressive talent coming out of Asia and it is more impressive when you realize a lot of the artists are dealing with styles and idioms that are not really native to their culture; there has always been a very strong technical talent in Asia, but early on the artist seemed bent on rote not-for-note duplication of western music rather than putting some of themselves into the mix; it used to the knock that Aisan bands were like musical Xerox machines: they could perform stunningly accurate versions of songs, but they lacked any feel or empathy for the songs' meaning or nuance; it would seem the newer generation of Asian musicians has gained what their predecessors lacked; now if they would only shuck that restrictive "idol"-based music business structure...

As long as disco doesn't rise from the dead, 2024 should be great...

<O>
Old 12-28-23, 10:17 PM   #1205
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Too late......Channeling now.....I have the Night Fever, get down and boogie.....

Old 12-29-23, 07:11 AM   #1206
Moonlight
Admiral

Downloads: 184

I listened to this song for the first time today and doesn't she tell a haunting story. Thank you for this song Suzanne Vega.

Old 12-29-23, 01:54 PM   #1207
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-23, 04:32 PM   #1208
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

For a friend.

Joey and Johnny are gone but their music lives on. Here today, gone tomorrow.

Last edited by Eisenwurst; 12-29-23 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-30-23, 04:02 PM   #1209
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-23, 07:55 PM   #1210
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

First Post of the year

Well....it's already lunchtime 1/1/2024 downunder.

Old 01-01-24, 02:08 AM   #1211
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

blackswan40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-24, 01:21 PM   #1212
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Icon11 /\"Vengeance is mine" sayeth the Aktung: Star Trek + ZZ Top =

...a little 'Billy' Shatner and Billy Gibbons:

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-24, 06:50 PM   #1213
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Old 01-03-24, 11:16 AM   #1214
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-24, 11:30 PM   #1215
Eisenwurst
Silent Hunter

Popular tourist destination for a lot of Aussies. Cheap and exotic. And a lot of them get into trouble.