SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific > SH4 ATO Mods
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-07-22, 09:57 AM   #181
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by pauluss67 View Post
I have a question ... what are the 2 icons at the top center of the attack periscope just above the degree compass? ... how do they activate?
These do buttons only work when you have automated torpedo targeting turned OFF. The button on the left is used for opening the AOBF ring, the right button turns on night time filter for the scope which makes seeing targets a bit easier

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 12:07 PM   #182
AMZ
Watch

Downloads: 58
Uploads: 0
Default fix Scapa Flow ???

Hello Niume,

Lets introduce myself, I am a "Noob" who discovers this Mod KSD.
And I apologize for my poor English language.

First,
Congratulations for this remarkable work! I know how to recognize personal investment. You deserve all our thanks and encouragement.

Secondly,
I understand, that you have collected several parts of existing Mods,
- you have modified them to make a coherent whole,
- you rewrote and act according to your perception of things,
and that and more or less criticized.
But one thing is for sure: it's a good job.

Naturally, there will always be someone who finds it too blue, too dark, too difficult... not realistic enough... Too... not enough...
Personally, I like to see what is happening underwater, in order to detect what is happening... but it is for a technical reason.

Thirdly,
This is the reason for my message: KSD II ACE Edition 1.4 (or 1.4.1)
- To discover your Mod, I do what is most basic, like a pianist does it's scale
- I embark on a SingleMission: SP 24 Scapa flow
- I enter the bay, I explore up and down … Nothing; Rien; Nichts; nada; Walou; Niente; нічого ... Nieko?
Except land elements on the coast and a merchant arriving at the port
But not units that made G. Prien famous.

- So I am investigating the folder:
\Data\Campaigns\CampaignGE\CampaignData File: UK_HarborTraffic.mis – date 06 11 2016 – size: 663 KB As is the file causes a C.T.D. when it opens in the mission editor.

Remark : With or without the Partch which only corrects CL Abdiel
- The part at the beginning does not correspond to this section: Group (for ground units)
- From unit 1 - By deleting everything and trying one by one I found that the PL Conte_Verde is problematic

[Unit 46]
Name=UK Harbor Traffic Liner #1
Class=PLConteVerde
Type=103
Origin=British
Side=0
... Etc ...

I think the problem comes from a bad export of the Euro-Liner from a Mod SH III
because the files: Data / Sea /NPL_Conte_Verde shows confusion with Euroliner and Conte_Verde from SH4.
By analyzing the Euroliner.dat file (S3ditor) the SH III standard does not take into account the textures following SH4
(Euroliner_T01.dds; Euroliner_N01.dds; Euroliner_O01.dds or Texture T02; N02; O02).

Currently I have not finished this investigation, but a similar problem is also found in:
Africa_HarborTraffic.mis dated 13 04 2015 15:26 size: 183 KB

Good luck Niunme

Last edited by AMZ; 06-12-22 at 11:42 AM.
AMZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-22, 06:43 PM   #183
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439

The stock SH4 game is like that from day one:

Of more importance to that ship is the UnitType=109 lines in the Roster cfg file (left) and the Sea folder (right), as compared to what the Type= lines are in the mis files for it:

Again, that is the stock game with the UnitType=109, whereas it looks like KSDII has it set at UnitType=103.

There are several other ships in the Stock game like that, including the player submarine Porpoise. Not confusing at all to see all of the different file names in a folder, now is it?... lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-22, 04:11 AM   #184
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
1. This is left over feature from the stock. In the stock game you could call in Japanese warship.
2.This is not normal behavior. It works fine for me.
3. The battery charging is set to historical values. How long does it take for you to charge the battery from 50% to 100%?
4. At least for me I do not encounter this problem. What version of the modpack are you using?
5. Sadly, no SH4 does not have option for Weapons officer to calculate the torpedo solution like in Sh3. Either you choose manual torpedo targeting or automatic.

It seems that your install is corrupted. When installing modpack did you selected a fresh new folder? Remember this installer has everything included even the "base game". You just need to select where you want it to be installed on your computer

Hi Niume,

Thanks for your response! Yes, I did a fresh/first install of KSDII, downloaded the zip-folder from a download link provided here, unpacked and installed the game in a brand new folder. I suppose, something still could have gone wrong ...

About the points:
I'm now in Campaign mode with a IXD2 boat in 10.42, leaving Bordeaux and headed toward Brazil.

1. Okay, so calling on combat support units doesn't work in KSDII, correct?

2. Torpedo reloading: Seems to work now ... I guess, I just hadn't figured out how to do it yet.

3. Battery reacharging: Didn't have to recharge from 50% yet, only from about 95% and that went pretty quickly. Only thing is, I'm not sure how to read the gauges correctly: The pull out gauge shows max 350, while the one in the C/R shows 450. How do you do the battery capacitiy reading?

4. So, also here, I just experienced that ASW vessels that were already searching for me and I was tracking them from periscope depth, started firing at my position from about 1500m out, the periscope was just about at sea level, waves washing over it, clear sunny day, wind 5sm. Modpack version is 1.4.1.

5. Okay, clear, thanks!

I have a couple new observations:

6. I noticed something else, if I may: In the map view (F5) one can see the sensor fields of the ships. What I noticed is, that these seem to be much less than let's say in Sh3. For example, just now, the ASWs were showing a field of view of about 6000m, which seems very short. As one would expect, they spotted me at about 8000m, which led to the situation described in point 5. above. Can you confirm this as well?

7. When setting depth 20m from let's see 100m, the boat doesn't level out at 20m but continues to rise to periscope depth or more, even breaching the surface at times and I have to set for 20m at least twice to make the boat respond. Also, diving from being surfaced is super slow when diving normally (i.e., not crash diving). Is this behaviour perhaps, due to the fact that it is a big IXD2 boat?

8. Fuel gauge: Fuel consumption seems to be very low. Right now, I'm at about 10cbm in 24h, even at Half Ahead or Full Ahead. Doesn't seem very realistic ...

Just a general note: I'm in campaign mode now and making frequent game saves (about every 12 hours), which I then overwrite. Always worked fine with Sh3. Could this be a potential source of any adverse effects?

Thanks again for your help!

Last edited by Kapitän; 06-11-22 at 04:58 AM.
Kapitän is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-22, 08:02 AM   #185
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Hi Niume,

Thanks for your response! Yes, I did a fresh/first install of KSDII, downloaded the zip-folder from a download link provided here, unpacked and installed the game in a brand new folder. I suppose, something still could have gone wrong ...

About the points:
I'm now in Campaign mode with a IXD2 boat in 10.42, leaving Bordeaux and headed toward Brazil.

2. Torpedo reloading: Seems to work now ... I guess, I just hadn't figured out how to do it yet.

3. Battery reacharging: Didn't have to recharge from 50% yet, only from about 95% and that went pretty quickly. Only thing is, I'm not sure how to read the gauges correctly: The pull out gauge shows max 350, while the one in the C/R shows 450. How do you do the battery capacitiy reading?

4. So, also here, I just experienced that ASW vessels that were already searching for me and I was tracking them from periscope depth, started firing at my position from about 1500m out, the periscope was just about at sea level, waves washing over it, clear sunny day, wind 5sm. Modpack version is 1.4.1.

5. Okay, clear, thanks!

6. I noticed something else, if I may: In the map view (F5) one can see the sensor fields of the ships. What I noticed is, that these seem to be much less than let's say in Sh3. For example, just now, the ASWs were showing a field of view of about 6000m, which seems very short. As one would expect, they spotted me at about 8000m, which led to the situation described in point 5. above. Can you confirm this as well?

7. When setting depth 20m from let's see 100m, the boat doesn't level out at 20m but continues to rise to periscope depth or more, even breaching the surface at times and I have to set for 20m at least twice to make the boat respond. Also, diving from being surfaced is super slow when diving normally (i.e., not crash diving). Is this behaviour perhaps, due to the fact that it is a big IXD2 boat?

8. Fuel gauge: Fuel consumption seems to be very low. Right now, I'm at about 10cbm in 24h, even at Half Ahead or Full Ahead. Doesn't seem very realistic ...

Just a general note: I'm in campaign mode now and making frequent game saves (about every 12 hours), which I then overwrite. Always worked fine with Sh3. Could this be a potential source of any adverse effects?

With regards to #7...

Type II, is the fastest diving uboat.... the Type VII, is just behind that by a couple of seconds. After that, is the tail wagging the dog, per se... the Type IX... think it is like 5 or so seconds longer to dive, than the Type VII.

On saves.... NEVER... EVER... overwrite any saves... always do fresh ones... & that should NEVER be done in SH3, either.

Overwriting, has the potential to cause save corruption...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 06-11-22 at 03:53 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-22, 02:17 PM   #186
Niume
Sea Lord

Quote:
Hi Niume,

About the points:

5. Okay, clear, thanks!

1. Yes because U-boat captains practically never called in Cruisers or any other combat vessels.
3. I would advise looking at the gauges for battery levels
4. I will take a look into the periscope detection values.
6. I don't know how to change them. Don't rely on them
7. This is a modpack's feature not implemented by me. It tries to simulate inercia. Raising from the depths firstly you should order a depth of 25m. After you reach the depth and the boat stabilizes order periscope depth
8. Look at these gauges.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

Old 06-12-22, 10:35 AM   #187
Kapitän
The Old Man

@Mad Mardigan and @Niume:Thanks to you both!

Okay, I summarize:

Points 3. and 8. Use the pull-out gauges for Fuel, Battery and CO2 levels. Just wondering about the fuel consumption being relativly low ... Also, does this mod simulate the diesels taking damage when operated at A.K. for too long?

Point 4: Thanks for checking on that ...

Point 7: Okay, so it's because of the buoyancy and diving behaviour of the big IXD2 boat. Thanks!

Also, "NEVER, EVER, overwrite any saves ... always do fresh ones!" Got it!
Old 06-12-22, 12:17 PM   #188
AMZ
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
The stock SH4 game is like that from day one:

... / ...

Of more importance to that ship is the UnitType=109 lines in the Roster cfg file (left) and the Sea folder (right), as compared to what the Type= lines are in the mis files for it:

Again, that is the stock game with the UnitType=109, whereas it looks like KSDII has it set at UnitType=103.

There are several other ships in the Stock game like that, including the player submarine Porpoise. Not confusing at all to see all of the different file names in a folder, now is it?... lol

Thanks Propbeanie for your response.

Yes, you are right about the mismatch of the Roster's _.cfg File Types and NPL_Conte_Verde.cfg.

About the different names of the ship EuroLiner – Conte Verde I already knew about it from the beginning.
But I apologize for expressing myself badly about the textures.
Admit that looking for the disruptive element(s) in the UK_HarborTrafic.mis file is very tiring to the point of not noticing the most frequent errors...
Ok I'm old!

And there Propbeanie, I am also addressing Niume.

I think that these errors which cancel the UK_HarborTrafic.mis file, then lose the reason for the Scapa Flow mission in particular and part of the elements in the career mode campaign !!!
I am aware of this KSD II ACE Edition Mod only now at version 1.4, so I do not have its history.
I'm surprised that so far no one has noticed this issue.

Well, I'm not just a critic, I bring my little contribution if it interests you.

So I said that the textures could not be taken into account from the orders of the _.cfg of the Roster, Because in the file /Sea/NPL_Conte_Verde/EuroLiner.dat the textures were ordered according to the SH III format

Clic below Thumbnail N°1

I was really tired, because really these are only for the Platform added to the front. But why have the EuroLiner.dat file been weighed down by a series of SH III format textures, when textures already exist. Just assign the Platform the texture T01 to Platform.obj and O01 to Platform-uv2.obj like below...

Clic below Thumbnail Capture T01 ... O01 ... 01bis

P.S. :I am not responsible for the choice of artillery
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Capture aa.jpg (90.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg Capture T01.jpg (65.8 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Capture O01.jpg (86.8 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Capture O01 bis.jpg (74.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 06-12-22, 12:49 PM   #189
Niume
Sea Lord

Quote:
@Mad Mardigan and @Niume:Thanks to you both!

Okay, I summarize:

Points 3. and 8. Use the pull-out gauges for Fuel, Battery and CO2 levels. Just wondering about the fuel consumption being relativly low ... Also, does this mod simulate the diesels taking damage when operated at A.K. for too long?

Point 4: Thanks for checking on that ...

Point 7: Okay, so it's because of the buoyancy and diving behaviour of the big IXD2 boat. Thanks!

Also, "NEVER, EVER, overwrite any saves ... always do fresh ones!" Got it!
3. The fuel consumption is more or less realistic. For example, Type VIIC in real life the range at 10 knots would be 13700km. In the game it is 18 000 km. The range is bigger because in Silent Hunter the world is not round but flat. For example from Brest port (France) to Canada shores in our planet is around 3500 km while in the game it is 5700 km. You probably experience very low fuel consumption because you command Type IXD2 which had very big range. Which has 38141 km of range at 12 knots. If you want more information about uboat types please visit this website it has great information. https://uboat.net/types/. The feature of diesels taking damage is sadly not possible because there are no hsie patch like for Sh3.
7. It's relevant for all of the boats.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

Old 06-12-22, 04:02 PM   #190
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
3. The fuel consumption is more or less realistic. For example, Type VIIC in real life the range at 10 knots would be 13700km. In the game it is 18 000 km. The range is bigger because in Silent Hunter the world is not round but flat. For example from Brest port (France) to Canada shores in our planet is around 3500 km while in the game it is 5700 km. You probably experience very low fuel consumption because you command Type IXD2 which had very big range. Which has 38141 km of range at 12 knots. If you want more information about uboat types please visit this website it has great information. https://uboat.net/types/. The feature of diesels taking damage is sadly not possible because there are no hsie patch like for Sh3.
7. It's relevant for all of the boats.
Okay, noted. Thanks!

About the ASW sensor fields: I think, I figured out how that works:
While in the Nav map view (F5) the sensor fields for ASDIC, Listening and Radar ranges are shown, it is not shown for the field of view. Probably, because it changes depending on weather and sea state. So, makes it more interesting ...

Tool Helper: I figured that one out as well. Only thing is, that the items it provides, compass etc., are all upside down, i.e., South/180° is on top ...

Radio News: I found the radio but it doesn't seem to work, i.e., pushing the ON button doesn't make any news to come on; the grammophon works just fine ...
Old 06-12-22, 04:15 PM   #191
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Okay, noted. Thanks!

About the ASW sensor fields: I think, I figured out how that works:
While in the Nav map view (F5) the sensor fields for ASDIC, Listening and Radar ranges are shown, it is not shown for the field of view. Probably, because it changes depending on weather and sea state. So, makes it more interesting ...

Tool Helper: I figured that one out as well. Only thing is, that the items it provides, compass etc., are all upside down, i.e., South/180° is on top ...

Radio News: I found the radio but it doesn't seem to work, i.e., pushing the ON button doesn't make any news to come on; the grammophon works just fine ...
Tool Helper: I figured that one out as well. Only thing is, that the items it provides, compass etc., are all upside down, i.e., South/180° is on top ... This is, so that when you go to plot out a targets course... it matches with it's figured out or known heading...

Say target's course is ohh.... heading of 020...

click on the spot of the marker for that target ship & move the compass out ahead... then look at the lower 1/2 of the readout on it, until you see the 20 degree bearing mark... line that up & move it out as far as you need to... for the length of travel it would go in say... 8 hours... which would translate to around... 64 nm if the target's known speed is say... 8 kts. These figures here, used as a basic set of figures for explanatory purposes...

Hope this brief explanation... helps understand not only the compass bearing marks, but how to use it to plat out distance a target travels x target's known speed computational figures for distance it'll travel, too.

That same info about the upside down bearing marks on not only the compass, but other tools, applies as well... by the way.

M. M.
Old 06-13-22, 04:57 AM   #192
Kapitän
The Old Man

Icon14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Tool Helper: I figured that one out as well. Only thing is, that the items it provides, compass etc., are all upside down, i.e., South/180° is on top ... This is, so that when you go to plot out a targets course... it matches with it's figured out or known heading...

Say target's course is ohh.... heading of 020...

click on the spot of the marker for that target ship & move the compass out ahead... then look at the lower 1/2 of the readout on it, until you see the 20 degree bearing mark... line that up & move it out as far as you need to... for the length of travel it would go in say... 8 hours... which would translate to around... 64 nm if the target's known speed is say... 8 kts. These figures here, used as a basic set of figures for explanatory purposes...

Hope this brief explanation... helps understand not only the compass bearing marks, but how to use it to plat out distance a target travels x target's known speed computational figures for distance it'll travel, too.

That same info about the upside down bearing marks on not only the compass, but other tools, applies as well... by the way.

M. M.
Okay, thanks ... I'll give that a try ...
Old 06-13-22, 11:34 AM   #193
zeus
Lieutenant

Downloads: 953

hola
no encuentro el estadimetro en este megamod.
¿Alguien sabe dónde está y cómo usarlo?
zeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-22, 01:02 PM   #194
Niume
Sea Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeus View Post
hola
no encuentro el estadimetro en este megamod.
¿Alguien sabe dónde está y cómo usarlo?
Historically u-boats in WW2 didn't had stadimeters. Use RAOBF

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

Old 06-13-22, 01:10 PM   #195
AMZ
Watch

Hi Niume,

1 - I draw your attention to the fact that the SingleMission Scapa Flow does not allow you to find the units to sink such as the BB_RoyalOak, in order to relive the mission of G Prien.

This reveals that the mission UK_HarborTraffic.mis (CampaingnData) is not declared on CampaignGE.cfg .
Thus we have the disappearance of the elements which characterize certain historical pages.
It is the same with the following missions, from the CampaingnData folder:

Africa_HarborTraffic.mis
Allies_CoastalBattery.mis
Allies_NavalBases.mis
ALL-TaskForce.mis
Arctic_42.mis … et Arctic_44.mis
Axis_AirBases.mis
Axis_CoastalTraffic.mis
Axis_Minefields.mis
Lant_Convoys_41.mis
Lant_Convoys_42.mis
Lant_Convoys_43.mis
Med_HarborTraffic.mis
MedCoastalTraffic.mis
MedNaval.mis
Etc.

Is this a will on your part?
There is no need to load the donkey if it is removed later.
You still have to do it wisely.

2 –
Quote:
... / ... 7.
This is a modpack feature that I did not implement. It tries to simulate inertia. Starting from the depths, you must first order a depth of 25 m. Once you have reached depth and the boat has stabilized, command the depth from the periscope .
.. / ...
The SH4 has its limits, it is not a submarine simulator. That's not his goal.
It trains us on the strategy of a commander of submersible in combat. That's all.

To my knowledge, Wolfpack is the only simulator (game) that comes close to the maneuvers of a submarine, with a few flaws...
So do not try to distort the behavior of the submersible, this does not represent reality.
- The commander orders an immersion
- CenterControl master adjusted buoyancy and stability
- The dive crews with the planes anticipate inertia and ensure immersion.
If the crew is unable to do so, then he is disembarked.

I Keep the hope of a consideration

Last edited by AMZ; 06-15-22 at 12:10 AM. Reason: spelling mistake, sorry
AMZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ksd ii, u-boat