SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-16-23, 05:08 PM   #1
Jules Verne
Nub

Downloads: 18
Uploads: 0
Default How do I use Switch Side ?

Hello , first of all then please forgive me for asking a stupid question.
I have spent a number of hours downloading and installing the "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" MOD on own PC and reading about it in order to be able to help another older person to get to play the game with MOD.
Generally the MOD is documented extremely well and apart from a quirk that made me have to make two fresh game installs in a row then installation went very well and as a breeze (thank you to everyone contributing to all the work making that possible) !

But despite all the documentation then I have not been able to spot the place in the documentation or find the right place/post in this forum that tells me how to use the "Switch Side" feature in the SH4 "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" MOD game.

So question :
In menus Submarine School , War Patrol and Single Mission there is an option to "Switch Side", but clicking it just shows no entries to choose from. So , could someone please tell me how to use it ?
Jules Verne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-23, 05:27 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Verne View Post
Hello , first of all then please forgive me for asking a stupid question.
I have spent a number of hours downloading and installing the "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" MOD on own PC and reading about it in order to be able to help another older person to get to play the game with MOD.
Generally the MOD is documented extremely well and apart from a quirk that made me have to make two fresh game installs in a row then installation went very well and as a breeze (thank you to everyone contributing to all the work making that possible) !

But despite all the documentation then I have not been able to spot the place in the documentation or find the right place/post in this forum that tells me how to use the "Switch Side" feature in the SH4 "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" MOD game.

So question :
In menus Submarine School , War Patrol and Single Mission there is an option to "Switch Side", but clicking it just shows no entries to choose from. So , could someone please tell me how to use it ?
Ahoy Jules,
FOTRSU is written for the Pacific. There is no Atlantic theatre.

If you want to play the German side in the pacific, I suggest you play Stock.

If you want to play the German side in the Atlantic then download and play Dark Waters.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-23, 06:36 PM   #3
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

There's also a seperate Japanese mod IJN but damned if I can find it with the search features. IJN Jyunsen B mod v 3.9.9.9.9.3 found it using an outside search https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/dow...o=file&id=4936
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-23, 09:41 PM   #4
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Wellcome aboard!

Jules Verne!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-23, 03:33 AM   #5
Jules Verne
Nub

@ All , thank you very much guys
(Just to clarify , I have installed the FOTRSU MOD collection on own PC so/and I am aware of the 64 Bit OS need , the 4GB requirement and the LAA modding need of the SH4.exe as well as I know of the use of the JSGME for MOD activation)(all that time spent trying to extract information from documentation and installing the FOTRSU MOD collection were not a total waste of time )

@ KaleunMarco , thank you , I am trying to help/assist someone elderly here whom wants to re-kindle/play sub-sims game tried years back but who also have had limited resources and limited PC insight. So person is on an old laptop (also even with a limited mobile internet connection) and can not be expected to be able to traverse through all the documentation to be able to even have a chance modding SH4 - it's enough of a work for me being a total noob/newbie at it and doing it all only to assist someone else.

So , since I gather that the "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" MOD collection is the overall best MOD (collection) for SH4 and since this other person can not be expected to manage MOD'ing by itself (and are not keen on having to make alterations all the time) then whatever I add will have to be compatible with the FOTRSU MOD collection..
Using Google I managed to find the Dark Waters MOD and downloaded it however it do not say anything about FOTRSU compatibility , but it does on the other hand say in the read me that it should be the only MOD...

Anyway , I wouldn't know even where to begin with respect to understanding MOD compatibility when Multi-MODing SH4 and especially not when it all have to be relatively simple to use for other the person (I am modding a game on my own PC only to learn enough to be able to assist the other person in the most painless way by remote management of computer) Also , since I am not that great a fan of sub-sims myself (sacrilege I know and a sin that can most certainly only be atoned for by installing a lot more subsim MODs)() then I will not be able to understand in-game problems due to incompatibility since I wouldn't know how any of it should look in the first place..

Thank you very much anyway !

@1Patriotofmany , thank you , I downloaded the IJN Jyunsen B mod v 3.9.9.9.9.3 , do we/you know if it can co-exist with the FOTRSU MOD collection ? (will be already installed)

@ Aktungbby
Old 05-17-23, 10:56 AM   #6
1Patriotofmany
XO

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules Verne View Post
@ All , thank you very much guys
(Just to clarify , I have installed the FOTRSU MOD collection on own PC so/and I am aware of the 64 Bit OS need , the 4GB requirement and the LAA modding need of the SH4.exe as well as I know of the use of the JSGME for MOD activation)(all that time spent trying to extract information from documentation and installing the FOTRSU MOD collection were not a total waste of time )

@ KaleunMarco , thank you , I am trying to help/assist someone elderly here whom wants to re-kindle/play sub-sims game tried years back but who also have had limited resources and limited PC insight. So person is on an old laptop (also even with a limited mobile internet connection) and can not be expected to be able to traverse through all the documentation to be able to even have a chance modding SH4 - it's enough of a work for me being a total noob/newbie at it and doing it all only to assist someone else.

So , since I gather that the "Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate" MOD collection is the overall best MOD (collection) for SH4 and since this other person can not be expected to manage MOD'ing by itself (and are not keen on having to make alterations all the time) then whatever I add will have to be compatible with the FOTRSU MOD collection..
Using Google I managed to find the Dark Waters MOD and downloaded it however it do not say anything about FOTRSU compatibility , but it does on the other hand say in the read me that it should be the only MOD...

Anyway , I wouldn't know even where to begin with respect to understanding MOD compatibility when Multi-MODing SH4 and especially not when it all have to be relatively simple to use for other the person (I am modding a game on my own PC only to learn enough to be able to assist the other person in the most painless way by remote management of computer) Also , since I am not that great a fan of sub-sims myself (sacrilege I know and a sin that can most certainly only be atoned for by installing a lot more subsim MODs)() then I will not be able to understand in-game problems due to incompatibility since I wouldn't know how any of it should look in the first place..

Thank you very much anyway !

@1Patriotofmany , thank you , I downloaded the IJN Jyunsen B mod v 3.9.9.9.9.3 , do we/you know if it can co-exist with the FOTRSU MOD collection ? (will be already installed)

@ Aktungbby
I kind of doubt it. It's just a little vanilla change standalone. Us it in a fresh folder along with multish4, and LAA I wouldn't try it mixed with FOTRSU or any other mods. YMMV Personally I keep an untouched folder of Vanilla SH4, and use that as a template for all the mega mods. I will make separate folders for each mod and use multish4, LAA, and JSGME in each folder.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-23, 02:42 PM   #7
Jules Verne
Nub

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I kind of doubt it. It's just a little vanilla change standalone. Us it in a fresh folder along with multish4, and LAA I wouldn't try it mixed with FOTRSU or any other mods. YMMV Personally I keep an untouched folder of Vanilla SH4, and use that as a template for all the mega mods. I will make separate folders for each mod and use multish4, LAA, and JSGME in each folder.
Thank you , but the person that will be playing the game will not be switching between MODs and will only be running FotRSU and whatever is fully compatible and I am of course already aware of the list on the Version 1.8 of Fall of the Rising Sun Ultimate page : https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho....php?p=2635992

I initially just thought that the MOD would also allow for switching sides which I have been informed in the above that it does not !
Thank you !
Old 05-18-23, 06:44 AM   #8
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

FotRSU does allow the player to play the German U-Boat side, as a Monsun Gruppe boat out of Penange and a few other ports. However, it is the SH4 U-Boat Missions version, with the extra vessels and planes of FotRSU seen, but the same Stock game career, which is lame, especially compared to the OM, Dark Waters or KSD campaigns. FotRSU is not compatible with most other mods, due to some major differences in Ship Class and Type calls in the various modes of the game.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote