Forget password? Reset here

Old 08-27-22, 11:09 AM   #1
BrassMonkey
Seaman

Downloads: 1129
Uploads: 0
Default Silent Hunter 5, or 4 [ Gold Edition ]

Hi,
My question is WHY doesn't the [[[mods]]] work on the Gold Edition, but work on the regular Silent Hunter 5 ALSO Silent Hunter 4, ??? anyone please?

Mods are installed with ''JSGME'''

BUT, if I wanted to, I could install them MANUAL.

is there a way around this??? anyone ?
I could be mixed up, srry

Thank

Last edited by BrassMonkey; 08-28-22 at 10:24 AM. Reason: thanks
BrassMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-22, 06:50 AM   #2
Aykay
Stowaway

Downloads:
Uploads:

The answer to all why-questions is always the same: "That's why!"

Why aren't they working on it? Did you expect that if you knew the why, mods for Gold Editions would miraculously appear? If you know the why, it will still be the same as it was before: they're not working on it. Period. Suck it up.

Any other "answer" would be guesswork and above all just as helpful. Because it doesn't change anything, not in the slightest, if you know why things are the way they are. The only question that matters is 'How do things work?', after that you can also know how things don't work. And that's it. Don't ask why. The meanings don't matter. Don't ask for reasons, ask for solutions. Philosophers search for the why (how useful are they for societies?), priests claim they had even found the whys already (how useful are they to solving problems?), and scientists search for the only thing that matters in this universe: the how. And so should you, because why things are the way they are does not help you solve your problem. The answer always remains: that's why! Humans are not able to figure out why things are the way they are. No mods for Gold Editions. I assume, you rather meant to say: "Modders, make mods for the Gold Editions, will ye!"

And I don't understand the rest. Is this a Google translation from any particularly exotic language? Which way around what exactly? That you can install mods manually? Now, can you or can't you? A way around that you could or that you would? Or that you don't have to use JSGME? I don't understand the issue.

Because any mod can not only be installed manually, unless it comes as an executable, it even has to be installed manually without any mod enabler. To install a mod with JSGME, you first had to add it to JSGME's mod folder anyway. If you didn't, you had to install the mod manually. There is no other way but using JSGME to NOT have to manually install mods (unless they are executable mods). That's the way how it works. So, if you don't want to use JSGME, don't use it. Grab the mod's files from its archive(s) and move them all manually to their respective positions in all those different game folders. Problem solved. Actually not, because that's how problems are created for and by inexperienced users. Manually.

Speaking of why-questions, here's another: why on earth would you want to install mods manually rather than using JSGME? It makes no sense (to me) at all, because you can't uninstall them since you have to overwrite original files. The only way around this cumbersome method would be to also manually make copies of all the files that need to be overwritten, and then write them all back in case you wanted to "uninstall" a mod (and that's exactly what JSGME does for ye already).

But it was of course just a rhetorical question, don't bother to answer it, the why-answer made no difference, neither to me, nor to the created problem. Read above. I don't care why one would not want to use JSGME, it was just my way of saying: "Do yourself a favour and use JSGME, that's manually enough, don't try it without!" (since you already don't know how to install mods manually). Phew. But to each their own, right?
Old 08-31-22, 01:19 PM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassMonkey View Post
Hi,
My question is WHY doesn't the [[[mods]]] work on the Gold Edition, but work on the regular Silent Hunter 5 ALSO Silent Hunter 4, ??? anyone please?

Mods are installed with ''JSGME'''

BUT, if I wanted to, I could install them MANUAL.

is there a way around this??? anyone ?
I could be mixed up, srry

Thank
It almost sounds like you are wondering why a mod is not activating properly on your games?... If such is the case, the question then is "What folder do you have your Silent Hunter games installed in?"

By default, all Silent Hunter games (3, 4 & 5) all go for a C:\Program Files (x86) install path, including Steam. This is NOT a good location if you intend to mod the game. If you have Steam, things can get complicated rather quickly if you have other Steam games besides the Silent Hunter games. If you have Steam, refer to Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Knowledge Base section on their site. It can get rather complicated, and no matter if you go for the "manual" move, or the "automatic" Steam move, it will take a while to accomplish. I don't know if there is an installer that is any slower than Steam's?... Anyway, Steam itself can be in Program Files, but the old DirectX v9 games cannot, due to Windows "protection" restrictions on that folder, which does NOT allow you to alter said folder with JSGME... even yourself for certain edits. If you have a 2nd viable hard drive, you can put a 2nd Steam Library folder on that drive, and install the game via Steam there. More "detail" in that post via the previous link...

If you have a different version of the game, you can sometimes copy and paste the game to a different folder outside of Program Files, such as make your own "C:\Games" folder, and then putting the game below that structure. That way, Windows leaves you alone to your own devices. You would have to make your own short-cuts, but that's easy...

Even this is not what you meant, please clarify...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote