SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-21-22, 05:51 AM   #1
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Downloads: 743
Uploads: 0
Default After what time were the commanders awarded the next military rank?

Silent Service

RankDaysUS=365,720,1085,1200
RankPatrolsUS=4,6
RankPatrolsRatingsUS=0,1
RankCampaignRatingsUS=0,1

FOTRSU_v1.7

RankDaysUS=150,180
RankPatrolsUS=4,5
RankPatrolsRatingsUS=0,1

TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5_UpdateBH Revised Final

RankDaysUS=150,180
RankPatrolsUS=6,20
RankPatrolsRatingsUS=0,1

Lieutenant Commander Commander Captain
start 150 180

I understand correctly that you have the next rank of commander in 150 days, and in another 30 days already the captain? As far as I understand, the game considers from the first title and does not zero the score after assignment.

Я правильно понимаю что у вас очередное звание командер через 150 дней, а еще через 30 дней уже капитан? Насколько я понимаю игра считает от первого звания и не обнуляет счет после присвоения.
LUKNER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-22, 11:57 AM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by LUKNER View Post
Silent Service

RankDaysUS=365,720,1085,1200
RankPatrolsUS=4,6
RankPatrolsRatingsUS=0,1

FOTRSU_v1.7

RankDaysUS=150,180
RankPatrolsUS=4,5
RankPatrolsRatingsUS=0,1

TriggerMaru_Overhaul_2-5_UpdateBH Revised Final

RankDaysUS=150,180
RankPatrolsUS=6,20
RankPatrolsRatingsUS=0,1

Lieutenant Commander Commander Captain
start 150 180

I understand correctly that you have the next rank of commander in 150 days, and in another 30 days already the captain? As far as I understand, the game considers from the first title and does not zero the score after assignment.

Я правильно понимаю что у вас очередное звание командер через 150 дней, а еще через 30 дней уже капитан? Насколько я понимаю игра считает от первого звания и не обнуляет счет после присвоения.
In real life, it depended on seniority plus performance. R.H. O Kane (Tang) made Cdr rather quickly after making LCDR after serving as XO of Wahoo. Talking just over a year, due in large part to his stellar war time performance.

In my TMO Update, player will make Cdr after six patrols rated as "good" or better by the sim.I believe the 150 is the number of days required before eligible for promotion, along with the six required patrols. I upped it from five patrol because it seemed a bit too easy to make the rank. I raised requirement for Captain to 20 patrols to make it very difficult to reach that rank, since someone promoted to Captain would be on a desk, not commanding a submarine, except in rare cases or maybe as a temp CO one one patrol (happened a few times, to give senior officers wartime command experience, or if had it earlier in war, gave them a chance to get back out there, temporarily, while a permanent CO was in transit or completing his PCO run (Prospective Commanding Officer) tour on another sub.)
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-22, 09:37 AM   #3
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
In real life, it depended on seniority plus performance. R.H. O Kane (Tang) made Cdr rather quickly after making LCDR after serving as XO of Wahoo. Talking just over a year, due in large part to his stellar war time performance.

In my TMO Update, player will make Cdr after six patrols rated as "good" or better by the sim.I believe the 150 is the number of days required before eligible for promotion, along with the six required patrols. I upped it from five patrol because it seemed a bit too easy to make the rank. I raised requirement for Captain to 20 patrols to make it very difficult to reach that rank, since someone promoted to Captain would be on a desk, not commanding a submarine, except in rare cases or maybe as a temp CO one one patrol (happened a few times, to give senior officers wartime command experience, or if had it earlier in war, gave them a chance to get back out there, temporarily, while a permanent CO was in transit or completing his PCO run (Prospective Commanding Officer) tour on another sub.)
And how many, on average, did captains go out on combat patrols during the war?
Were there commanders who started and ended the war as a submarine commander?
In the German submarine fleet, I know there was Wolfgang Luth who from 1939 to 1943 commanded various submarines that participated in the hostilities. And who also lasted in the American submarine fleet in his position and for how long?
Old 01-22-22, 11:25 AM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
And how many, on average, did captains go out on combat patrols during the war?
Were there commanders who started and ended the war as a submarine commander?
In the German submarine fleet, I know there was Wolfgang Luth who from 1939 to 1943 commanded various submarines that participated in the hostilities. And who also lasted in the American submarine fleet in his position and for how long?
Rare that Captain's went out in command of a sub. I know that Captain Richard Voge, who at start of war was the first CO of Sealion, which was sunk at Cavite in Harbor in Dec 1941 (damaged by air raid on 10 Dec) , after a stint in command of Sailfish (5 patrols) , Voge was promoted to Captain and went to Admiral Lockwood's staff in a key position. I forget which boat he took out for one patrol in lFall 1944, but recall reading he did so, sort of a keep in touch with the troops sort of thing, get him out of the office, and report back to Admiral Lockwood. Captain Charles "Weary" Wilkins took submarine USS Seahorse out in Fall 1944 for one patrol, which was deemed successful. There were a couple other instances in 1944/45, some of which were by skippers who commanded subs in 1941/1942/ 1943 and had been sent back to short duty. However, this was still rare and never for more than one patrol, to my knowledge.

When the US started sending Coordinated Attack Groups (CAG) aka Wolfpacks to sea in Fall 1943, a Captain, designated as Commander of the CAG, would go out aboard one of the subs (typically 3 subs to a pack) and have tactical command of the pack, but each sub had their own CO, usually a Lieutenant Commander, occasionally a Commander. Having a pack commander on scene avoided having HQ micromanaging (as U Boats were by Doenitz) and excess radio traffic. First wolfpack (Shad, Cero, Grayback)was in Fall 1943 under Captain "Swede" Momsen, who rode aboard the submarine Cero.

Captain John Cromwell, riding Sculpin as part of pack in Nov 1943 earned the Medal of Honor when he sacrificed himself to avoid capture and possibly revealing sensitive information to the Japanese under torture.

After several packs deployed in Fall 1943- Spring 1944, a evaluation of the patrols found pack concept would work better by just placing the senior CO present in tactical command, so most packs began deploying without a Captain aboard. One exception comes to mind is August-September 1944 when Captain Ed Swinburne went out on Barb. Of course LCDR Eugene Fluckey was in command of Barb.

US sub commanders typically were permitted five patrols before being rotated to short duty(with few exceptions), new construction stateside, training roles, etc as psychologists recommended, so no skippers commanded subs the entire war and a limited number made more than five or six patrols in command. Many were junior officers at start of the war and worked their way up as it was found younger skippers were more aggressive and adapted better to the new war time operations, as most older skippers were too cautious.
Old 01-22-22, 11:35 AM   #5
LUKNER
Torpedoman

The construction of the game tells you not to deviate from the real story and the player must build his career in these 5-6 patrols. And try to be better than real commanders in terms of tonnage. At least it makes more sense than playing the whole war.
Old 01-22-22, 12:19 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
The construction of the game tells you not to deviate from the real story and the player must build his career in these 5-6 patrols. And try to be better than real commanders in terms of tonnage. At least it makes more sense than playing the whole war.
Well one of many issues with design of SH 4 is they made the career more about individual commanders than the boats themselves. The nature of US sub operations was more about the boats than individual skippers for most part. Some of the successful skippers and their boats were of course known, but the skipper would be relieved after his five patrols or so, and then many times, the next skipper proved to be as successful or even more so in some cases.

I rarely keep the same Commander a entire career. I simply edit the career file, renamed the skipper, clear out tonnage and medals, keep on with same boat and crew (of course crew changes over time).
Old 01-22-22, 07:18 PM   #7
LUKNER
Torpedoman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Well one of many issues with design of SH 4 is they made the career more about individual commanders than the boats themselves. The nature of US sub operations was more about the boats than individual skippers for most part. Some of the successful skippers and their boats were of course known, but the skipper would be relieved after his five patrols or so, and then many times, the next skipper proved to be as successful or even more so in some cases.

I rarely keep the same Commander a entire career. I simply edit the career file, renamed the skipper, clear out tonnage and medals, keep on with same boat and crew (of course crew changes over time).
I like to play by choosing a historical period in a military campaign. The most interesting from the autumn of 1944 until the end of the war. There are already few goals, but they are there and they must be actively sought. From the autumn of 1943 to the autumn of 1944 this is the convoy hunting season. From the beginning of the war or the autumn of 1942, only because of the interest to go through the whole war and survive.