SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-15-22, 11:48 AM   #1
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Default Mysterious Damage and Replay

ok, two questions regarding Mysterious Damage and Replay.

if i save during a career mission and then reload the replay, how do i rewind vs starting the replay from the start? i can fast forward either by clicking on the time bar at the bottom of the display or use TC, but it does not seem to want to let me rewind in the same manner.

secondly, having watched the replay, i cannot see where my boat took sudden, severe, and mysterious damage. the only user functions that seem to work during the replay are time compression and external camera (F12).

there is no evidence of attack from surface forces (battery or ship or aircraft) because i would have seen that in the replay.

we were sailing in the open ocean where there are no subnets or mines.

how can i manipulate the replay function in order to determine what hit us?

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 01:09 PM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

The Replay function does NOT rewind. Very bad oversight, or completely ignoring the function... Also, if you look at that video I just did in FotRSU, I have a spot where while playing the scenario, I had gone underwater and looked at the damages inflicted on the Long Island and also on the Clemson. The Clemson especially had a huge, catastrophic, gaping hole in the hull that took out a portion of the deck below the bridge from an Air "Type 93" torpedo hit. The boat was hit just forward of where the "break in two" would have been inflicted. It sank inside of a minute after the detonation. When I went back and used the "Replay", since I hadn't recorded the thing initially, those gaping holes in the hulls of both ships were not there. In fact, the explosions and smoke (especially) were starkly different. Part of that is the "stage" that the game sets. If your sub is close enough, that is the POV used for all of the special effects. If you go to the other side of an explosion from where your sub is, while using the external camera, the explosion will be different. If you play the "Replay" back, it will also be different, but more so. My guess is that they were saving "bytes" with the way they did the Replay function, since after all, it is a WinXP game from basically a 2005 game engine design...

As for finding how the damage was inflicted, there is supposedly a way to jump back into the game while doing the Replay, though I cannot remember how. The last time I did that was probably before the v1.4 release, and might not be in there anymore for all I know. Another thing I remember about doing that, is it does destroy you Replay save... I'm starting a testing round right now, and I'll try to remember to do another Save Replay, and give it a whirl. They might speak to that in the game's manual, though I doubt it... lol - The one thing I do remember about doing that though, is that it does NOT play the same way again...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-22, 09:45 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
ok, two questions regarding Mysterious Damage and Replay.

if i save during a career mission and then reload the replay, how do i rewind vs starting the replay from the start? i can fast forward either by clicking on the time bar at the bottom of the display or use TC, but it does not seem to want to let me rewind in the same manner.

secondly, having watched the replay, i cannot see where my boat took sudden, severe, and mysterious damage. the only user functions that seem to work during the replay are time compression and external camera (F12).

there is no evidence of attack from surface forces (battery or ship or aircraft) because i would have seen that in the replay.

we were sailing in the open ocean where there are no subnets or mines.

how can i manipulate the replay function in order to determine what hit us?

In TMO Update ? Remember, there are submerged AI submarines which can fire torpedoes lurking about the ocean and can be difficult to detect.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 01:57 PM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
In TMO Update ? Remember, there are submerged AI submarines which can fire torpedoes lurking about the ocean and can be difficult to detect.
yes, this did happen playing TMO_BH.

and yes, there are IJN subs which can fire torpedoes (i've detected them in the past as were cruising to/from our patrol zone), and i gave that aspect serious thought, and that is why i saved with a replay. thank you for reinforcing my decision track.

we were cruising on the surface with limited visibility. the enemy sub would have had to have been incredibly close aboard. if we were attacked by an IJN torpedo, the torpedo would have sunk us. there would have been widespread equipment and personnel damage.

however, there was not widespread damage: 97% hull damage, some battery damage, and some topside equipment damage but not one crewman was wounded. this is a strange mixture of damage and not-damage. and that is why i saved with a replay so i could go back and discover what caused this odd set of results.

unfortunately, upon replaying, SH4 did not show the actual event so there is no post-mission analysis.

i restarted that mission from port and followed, as best i could, the same path as the one in which we had the aforementioned experience. sadly, the experience was not repeated.

oh well. best not to wallow in our misery. let's just press on.

BH, PLEASE keep in mind that this has nothing to do with your excellent adaptation of TMO 2.5. it relates to SH4 and the Replay Function. we've seen specious and unexpected damage in the past so it is not your mod-set in question.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-22, 03:23 PM   #5
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
yes, this did happen playing TMO_BH.

and yes, there are IJN subs which can fire torpedoes (i've detected them in the past as were cruising to/from our patrol zone), and i gave that aspect serious thought, and that is why i saved with a replay. thank you for reinforcing my decision track.

we were cruising on the surface with limited visibility. the enemy sub would have had to have been incredibly close aboard. if we were attacked by an IJN torpedo, the torpedo would have sunk us. there would have been widespread equipment and personnel damage.

however, there was not widespread damage: 97% hull damage, some battery damage, and some topside equipment damage but not one crewman was wounded. this is a strange mixture of damage and not-damage. and that is why i saved with a replay so i could go back and discover what caused this odd set of results.

unfortunately, upon replaying, SH4 did not show the actual event so there is no post-mission analysis.

i restarted that mission from port and followed, as best i could, the same path as the one in which we had the aforementioned experience. sadly, the experience was not repeated.

oh well. best not to wallow in our misery. let's just press on.

BH, PLEASE keep in mind that this has nothing to do with your excellent adaptation of TMO 2.5. it relates to SH4 and the Replay Function. we've seen specious and unexpected damage in the past so it is not your mod-set in question.

On that note... as Bubblehead1980, pointed out... it could have well been a lucky (for the a.i. IJN sub, that launched a sneak torp attack) to have gotten the strike... just dumb bad luck, in that the torp... in essence it sounds like... dudded. is always that chance of that occurring... even for the IJN.

Not... entirely informed, on their torp history, but... would think, if they had anywhere near issues face by the Kreigsmarine & the U. S. fleet boat arms did, in sub torp issues... that would have been glaringly documented by now... to the extent that info is available that the sub fleets aforementioned did.

Given, of your... attempt to retrace the route & speed an all... as before & coming up dry... while a pain, is understandable... sometimes you get lucky, in being able to recreate the events... but more oft, than not... of not having any luck in doing so.

This is just My own... armchair QB'ing from what's been noted... & it's 50/50 on either being right... with an even chance of being wrong.

So, boiling it all down... probable a.i. IJN sub, lobbed off a torp (or torps? unknown, but possible of at least 2... maybe... 1 missed, 1 hit but from the damages reported, likely dudded out to a good extent ) & wasn't able to be recreated to know for 100% certainty...

Sounds about, what is a likely scenario, here.

M. M.