SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-22, 04:16 PM   #16
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26
Uploads: 0

I always thought that a bold was a device making noise to attract the destroyers... And indeed, it seems to work like that in SH3. I never thought that it was creating a "cloud" of bubbles to stop/divert ASDIC sound...

In the film "The enemy below", the U-Boat releases a black "smoke" underwater which makes her (the u-boat) invisible to ASDIC. I don't know if it's historical.

Sometimes also in SH3, I encountered a "bug" : if a destroyer (or maybe it was a corvette) is on the point to run above you (to throw DC over your head), once you launch the bold, this destroyer (or corvette) stops immediatly and goes reverse (exactly the same way as if she wanted to avoid a collision)....
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 04:42 PM   #17
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post
I always thought that a bold was a device making noise to attract the destroyers... And indeed, it seems to work like that in SH3. I never thought that it was creating a "cloud" of bubbles to stop/divert ASDIC sound...

In the film "The enemy below", the U-Boat releases a black "smoke" underwater which makes her (the u-boat) invisible to ASDIC. I don't know if it's historical.

Sometimes also in SH3, I encountered a "bug" : if a destroyer (or maybe it was a corvette) is on the point to run above you (to throw DC over your head), once you launch the bold, this destroyer (or corvette) stops immediatly and goes reverse (exactly the same way as if she wanted to avoid a collision)....
With the openings for the bubbles that are created... are done in such a way, as to allow for the decoy to spin & because of the reaction, they blast out from those openings... thereby... creating a spinning action... it gets fast enough, as it is supposed to... (no idea but would assume it worked at any rate...) to sound like a sub speeding up... I assume.

The whole idea was not to stop asdic, or sonar, but to make the enemy search for a U-boat... not where it was, but... where the subs skipper would want the enemy to think they were.

Think of like that weird lizard that can have its tail break off & continue to twitch around as it's there where the lizard left it... the enemy or in this case, the lizards hunter... gets focused on that twitching tail... while it gets away.

Same general principle.

M. M.
Old 01-08-22, 05:51 PM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister_M View Post

Exactly what I use it for; try to get the destroyers attention.
Old 01-09-22, 04:50 AM   #19
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post
Yes.
Okay, Do you release the Bold's at any depth?
Old 01-09-22, 04:56 AM   #20
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29

Thank you all for your comments!

Seems like that the Game-Bold's work somewhat different than the actual/historic ones.

To me, best approach remains to stay away from late war ASW vessels, as much as possible.
Old 01-09-22, 08:20 AM   #21
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Okay, Do you release the Bold's at any depth?

Yes.
Old 01-09-22, 08:22 AM   #22
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Thank you all for your comments!

Seems like that the Game-Bold's work somewhat different than the actual/historic ones.

To me, best approach remains to stay away from late war ASW vessels, as much as possible.

Correct. Like a lot of things in the game.