SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-14-21, 06:59 PM   #1
Jackie_Chan1102
Swabbie

Downloads: 3
Uploads: 0
Icon9 Help, Silent Hunter 3 career not working

Hi all, this is my first post here. I bought SH3 on steam about a month back, and was thoroughly enjoying it. I played about 3-5 or so hours of it, and I'd heard a fair bit about the GWX mod for it, so I installed it, and it didn't work with career mode, so I decided to just go with base game. I uninstalled the mod and everything, opened up the game, and I saw the GWX stuff you get with the mod on startup, career mode worked I believe, but it really bugged me that I'd deleted all the GWX stuff and I was still getting it. So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game, only to find that career mode still doesn't load, it gets to about 90% and crashed. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Jackie_Chan1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-21, 07:30 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie_Chan1102 View Post
Hi all, this is my first post here. I bought SH3 on steam about a month back, and was thoroughly enjoying it. I played about 3-5 or so hours of it, and I'd heard a fair bit about the GWX mod for it, so I installed it, and it didn't work with career mode, so I decided to just go with base game. I uninstalled the mod and everything, opened up the game, and I saw the GWX stuff you get with the mod on startup, career mode worked I believe, but it really bugged me that I'd deleted all the GWX stuff and I was still getting it. So I completely uninstalled and reinstalled the game, only to find that career mode still doesn't load, it gets to about 90% and crashed. Any help would be greatly appreciated
1st, on deleting & reinstalling... did you also, include the game saves folder along with deleting SH3.?

2ndly.... just "where" exactly.... did you install A: Steam launcher (itself) & B: if that launcher, was default installed into either of Window's C:\program files locations (the normal "Program files" or "Program files (x86)... ) well... therein lies, in all likelihood... the reason that GWX, did NOT properly install when you did it...

Perchance, I might kindly recommend, considering of looking up on subsim here... for info on OneAlex's GWX3 mod set up... or barring that one... per chance... Anvart1061's GWX rework, aptly named GWR. Both of which are excellent reimagining's of GWX.

1Alex's info on His work, can be found here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=248010

Anvart1061's, here:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=246954

Anvart1061's does call for having a clean, un-modded copy of SH3, jsgme & may I strongly recommend... also grabbing "MultiSH3"... this tool, makes it where one, can set up a complete separate game save folder... outside of the original SH3 save folder, that is created... when you 1st run SH3, for it to finalize all it needs to, on running it that very... 1st... time.

1Alex's work, includes everything, but just needs unzipping & putting it anywhere, but NOT in either of Window's "Program files, locations...

Hope this info helps...

M. M.
Old 12-14-21, 07:42 PM   #3
Jackie_Chan1102
Swabbie

Thanks for your reply, steam launcher is installed in program files x86 I believe, and on the point of the save files, I feel I looked for them before when I was uninstalling, but couldn't find them, and didn't regard it as important at the time. Where would the save files be...?

Thanks again
Old 12-14-21, 08:00 PM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Thanks for your reply, steam launcher is installed in program files x86 I believe, and on the point of the save files, I feel I looked for them before when I was uninstalling, but couldn't find them, and didn't regard it as important at the time. Where would the save files be...?

Thanks again
Save folder, would be in "Documents"... if you did NOT use "MultiSH3, when you made your... attempt, to activate GWX3... figure it'll be listed there, as "SH3".
Old 12-15-21, 01:27 AM   #5
Jackie_Chan1102
Swabbie

I followed all the steps you said to get SH3 career working again, but it didn't work and career still crashes. Any other ways to fix?

thanks
Old 12-15-21, 01:40 AM   #6
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

Jackie_Chan1102!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 02:28 AM   #7
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
I followed all the steps you said to get SH3 career working again, but it didn't work and career still crashes. Any other ways to fix?

thanks
Ok, given that info... would then... recommend... a complete slash & burn uninstall... (including, deleting the save game folder) use ccleaner (if you have that, to ensure complete wipe of the install... uninstalling, can leave residual files behind. You'd think that uninstalling, would remove everything... but, it doesn't.) After Uninstalling, use the ccleaner custom clean portion 1st, then follow that up with... the registry cleaner portion, after that, then a fresh install of SH3.

If you used JSGME take the MODS folder & save it elsewhere... just be sure to do that, if you added in, any other mods for GWX...where you'll know where they are when you need them. Do, however, delete the following from in the MODS folder, however of:

!BACKUP

!INSTLOGS

JSGME (this will be the last item, on the list in the MODS folder... the "configuration settings" file, located in there) otherwise, if you did NOT add into the MODS folder any addition mods for GWX... disregard & delete it, along with the rest of SH3.

Now... with "Steam launcher", I strongly recommend... uninstalling it, as well... BEFORE running ccleaner & doing the steps I outlined for it.

The GWX3 installer, as far as I know of, does NOT need to be in the SH3 folder.. at all, can have it elsewhere & still run it from wherever it is... to let it do its thing to install GWX3 to SH3.

1 thing to make sure of, before running the GWX3 installer.

After reinstalling "Steam" NOT in either of the default localities, of "C:\Program files" or... "C:\Program files (x86)"... rather instead, into your "own" created folder on the C: drive... name it... \Games then after installing the launcher... then open "Steam" & set the launcher to set up your downloads library for any & all games from them, t send them to C:\Games folder you created.

(ex. "C:\Games\Steam" (for the launcher) "C:\Games\Games" (for the subsequent games repository, for Steam as well as any other game launchers... such as "Arc", "Origin"... etc, etc...) This is if you have just a single HD on your computer... if you have 2 HD's on it... then put the launcher installs in a folder on C:\ named... "\Launchers" (again, well outside of either of Windows "Program file locations... & note all personally created "folders I've suggested... do the creating of them, WITHOUT the " " marks... ) & then the games Library, for all games from the launchers on that 2nd drive (or external drive.)

After getting that done... redownload SH3, open the install folder for SH3, click on the SH3.exe then look at the top of folder. Make sure that the "Home" tab is selected. In the menu for Home tab, should see an option called "properties" (1/3 roughly, from the right side of the folder) Clicking on that will open up SH3.exe's properties sub menu.

Once in that, check in the section, marked "attributes" & ensure that the "Read-only" box, is NOT checked" then hit "apply". What this does is sets the .exe to be written over, by the mods.

After that, click on the "compatibility" tab, in that sub menu... in the "compatibility mode section, check the box, titled "Run this program in compatibility mod for: then in the menu box just below that, open & look for "Windows 7" & select that. Next, in the Settings section, just below the compatibility mode section, look for & check the box titled, "Run this program as an admin", then click "accept" & then, click "Ok"

Then run SH3, to allow it to finalize set up... including the standard SH3 game save folder.

One thing.. if you intend, to run more than just GWX3... I'd strongly suggest you leave that copy... un-modded... as your "go to GOLD Standard" virgin copy, to use to copy the guts of the game from...

Create in the \Common folder another folder named "SH3-mega mods" (minus the " " marks.... in "SH3-mega mods" create & name a folder, titled... "GWX3-SH3"

Once that is done, then go into your virgin copy of SH3, use select all or hit Cntrl+A then paste the files in there, to the newly created "GWX3-SH3" folder.

After that, you're free & clear, to mod that copy of SH3...

With running any other mod sets, beyond GWX3... I'd also suggest getting hold of "MultiSH3", as well. That app will make it so you can set up a separate game save folder, well away from the SH3 initial run set up game saves folder... thereby avoiding any chance of game save files... getting corrupted... which can occur.

If you're going to use SH3Commander... note that there is an additional set of files that will be needed to download & install, into Commander... to have that work right, as intended for its use. I'd recommend, grabbing v3.2 of SH3Commander.

Now, if you're dead set on GWX3, being the only copy you're going to tun with... then disregard the steps to make the initial "SH3" a to go to GOLD standard" virgin...

Your choice... Me, I'd strongly suggest doing that step, as a just in case, should GWX3 run into any issues... just a suggestion.

Hope this info helps...

M. M.
Old 12-15-21, 04:33 AM   #8
Jackie_Chan1102
Swabbie

Right, I'll try this. With deleting the steam launcher, will that uninstall ALL the other games that I have installed...? And when I install it again I should be able to choose installation place as a custom folder. I think after all this I'm gonna run the game vanilla, phew, don't want to risk this again, or with something else.

Thanks
Old 12-15-21, 07:20 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Right, I'll try this. With deleting the steam launcher, will that uninstall ALL the other games that I have installed...? And when I install it again I should be able to choose installation place as a custom folder. I think after all this I'm gonna run the game vanilla, phew, don't want to risk this again, or with something else.

Thanks
Yeah, but... look at it this way... if there are any that you wanna take a crack at modding... (besides SH3) will have them, out of Window's UAC's... iron fisted gestapo grip.

As is, UAC, does NOT like files & folders, in it's iron fisted grip, being tampered with.
Modding things... like for example here... SH3... is doing just that & well... UAC, will shut it down faster than you can say... "Los".

As for choosing to custom install... depends... on what your hd situation is... you running solo hd, dual installed hd... solo install & an external... dual hd & externals...????

The only 1, I am not 100% sure of, is if you have a solo hd.... all the other possibilities.... then yeah... won't be a problem...

Trust Me, I know... it seems like a pain (just had My Dell die on Me & had to swap over to a tower, that I was trying to get set up, as My primary, hard core, gaming rig... but... what's that expression... the best laid plans, of mice & Men.... Those plans went out the torp tube, faster than a greased pig at a fair. ) Needless to say, had My work cut out getting all My games & such... back up & running. Took Me all of... 4 days & some change in hours, to get all that done.

So... I feel your pain, in this...

M. M.
Old 12-15-21, 10:51 AM   #10
kyle9154
Commander

Downloads: 368

Quote:

Thanks
NO NEVER uninstall your steam launcher as that will mess up your steam program, just uninstall sh3 from your steam library and then go to your documents folder on your pc and deleting any sh3 folder thats there which saves your previous corrupted career. Once that is done just install one of these compilation mods, they both have the game built into them so you don't even need the game and install instructions are included with them.
Vanilla SH3 - awful looking and too bland/easy
Toyagt86 all in one compilation mod (GWX with all the best mods and realism patches, Difficulty - Normal) - https://www.mediafire.com/file/kegqn...sion+2.7z/file
Onealex all in one compilation mod (GWX with all the best mods and realism patches with increased AI sensors and aircraft, Difficulty - Hard) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Fi...DmQDVAE1Y/view

Admin for the Onealex Mod Discord - https://discord.gg/bKCdQekE4W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSpRvfqFYp0&t
kyle9154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 01:16 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle9154 View Post
NO NEVER uninstall your steam launcher as that will mess up your steam program, just uninstall sh3 from your steam library and then go to your documents folder on your pc and deleting any sh3 folder thats there which saves your previous corrupted career. Once that is done just install one of these compilation mods, they both have the game built into them so you don't even need the game and install instructions are included with them.
Vanilla SH3 - awful looking and too bland/easy
Toyagt86 all in one compilation mod (GWX with all the best mods and realism patches, Difficulty - Normal) - https://www.mediafire.com/file/kegqn...sion+2.7z/file
Onealex all in one compilation mod (GWX with all the best mods and realism patches with increased AI sensors and aircraft, Difficulty - Hard) - https://drive.google.com/file/d/18Fi...DmQDVAE1Y/view
Ok, where to begin here...

Ahh... yeah. Unistalling Steam, will NOT mess up the Steam program. I know this, for a fact, as I AM a steam user. Have been, for some time now. Have had to uninstall, a few times... in fact.

Steam, keeps a database of what games you have purchased, or got for free... for just such instances when an uninstall of them, IS called for. That's point 1.

Point 2... Unless you have, for lack of better judgement... short circuited it... Steam, does also... keep up with your latest game save history (well, to be more precise... certain games... as to all of them, am not sure of or clear on that point... exactly.

With SH3, there really is no need to do so, since you are better off... having that info on site, at hand, on your own computer... this, despite the fact that there are times when that save info can & does get corrupted. Which, is why I started some time back, to keep a backup copy of it... for just such happenstance.

SH3, or any game/sim... for that matter, should NOT now, or EVER be installed into either of Window's "Program files... EVER. Back in the day, Win, wasn't as much of a p.i.t.a, as it is now on that... when SH3 & older game/sims were released. That I recall of.

The steps I outlined, are successful... On My Dell, before it k lined on Me.... I had mods on the A drive & launchers, My games library's for all the launchers I had (Arc, Battlenet, wargamings Game Center, Origin, Steam & Ubi's ) were on the C drive.

Computer I'm, now using:

OldCdrive, is the 1 that was in the Dell when I 1st got it. it is now hot listed as A drive. Therein, is My mods repository... & game launchers ( **see list above pic** ) C drive, now only houses Win & any & all tools I use, nothing more... & E drive, is now the repository of the game launcher libraries.

The only time now, that C drive sees a mod for a game, is for Me to do what tweaking/editing/rework is needed on them. Once I have done what's needed... it gets drag dropped in what game/sim it is required... over into its MODS folder on C. After that, it gets a folder named for it to be dropped into, zipped & goes into the vault on A. After some time, I was able to, on this computer now... to get about all the games I have, now stored over on E, are (just about all of them there, is still some I need to work on getting back to playability. isn't easy, when you love playing & tinkering with 'em... ) back to full playability...

As of last count... I have "9", count them... 9... copies of & modded SH4 v1.5, at current, 7, of SH3... 2 of those are already set & ready to go... 2 others, am in the works of having them ready... & the other 3... are test beds for ideas I have... of which the thread "Re: putting SH3 on a diet", is 1 of those remaining 3....

Main point is, here... Yes, it can be done.. & done safely... I know.

Now, as to the other items you mentioned... I did bring up 2, 1 of which, you missed touching on... Anvart1061's GWR (GWX3, reworked/reimagined... take your pick on a descriptor there... your choice ) Had Toyo's set, slip My mind & that is My mea culpa. That 1 I can say, is a good option to consider...

Ok, gonna end here...

M. M.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 12-15-21 at 03:02 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 02:51 PM   #12
kyle9154
Commander

HOLY ****!!!!! Mardigan you have a habit of making your posts or discussions as confusing as manual targeting using attack disks lol. Most of the time I only skim through your essay long posts in subsim, try trimming the stuff down to vital info not going on and on and then off topic with your life stories lol. You'll have a better way explaining things to people then, as you know the new generation ain't going to be reading all that jibber jabber.

Last edited by kyle9154; 12-15-21 at 03:48 PM.
Old 12-15-21, 03:12 PM   #13
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle9154 View Post
HOLY ****!!!!! Mardigan you have a habit of making your posts or discussions as confusing as manual targeting using attack disks lol. Most of the time I only skim through your essay long posts in subsim, try trimming the stuff down to vital info not going on and on and then off topic with your life stories lol. You'll have a better way explaining things to people then, as you know the new generation ain't going to be reading all that jibber jabber.
Everything that was in My last post, was pertinent & germane, to what you said.

Have been around, since the dawn of computers being made available to the home user... let that salient point sink in...

With that, getting back to what I am doing with the other SH3's...

I wish you well.

M. M.
Old 12-15-21, 03:48 PM   #14
kyle9154
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Everything that was in My last post, was pertinent & germane, to what you said.

Have been around, since the dawn of computers being made available to the home user... let that salient point sink in...

With that, getting back to what I am doing with the other SH3's...

I wish you well.

M. M.
I still love ya Marty, looking forward to your SH3 on a diet project

Old 12-15-21, 06:30 PM   #15
Jackie_Chan1102
Swabbie

Icon7

Wow...Got a lot to work on here...I only have one SSD disk in my laptop. Just to clarify, when uninstalling the steam launcher, do I need to uninstall all my games? Did you answer this already, I may've missed it.

Thanks