SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-12-21, 07:04 AM   #1
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 0
Default installing gwx gold without disk

just starting SH3 again after many years.
on a lap top with Windows 11.
trying to install GWX Gold and im told i need disk7.

i have no disk insert on this new laptop

any ideas most welcome
cheers flag4.
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 08:28 AM   #2
lees72
Watch

Downloads: 137

You’d be better off buying a digital version of sh3 from gta for £3.45
lees72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 08:30 AM   #3
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Are you using the 7 bin files install?
If so you may need to download them again.
I'd just get the single file complete installer.
Old 12-12-21, 09:02 AM   #4
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Sounds like you either grabbed a pirated incompete copy of SH3... or... the download you grabbed, was either incomplete or somehow, managed to end up corrupted.

You'd be better off... grabbing a paid for download, from Ubishaf... erhm, Ubisoft.

Can grab it there for less than a cup of Starbuck's overpriced coffee... it's that cheap.

M. M.
Old 12-12-21, 09:08 AM   #5
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

He states he's trying to install GWX.

"trying to install GWX Gold and im told i need disk7."

So I'd assume SH3 is already installed!

Asking for disk 7 usually means GWX_7.bin is corrupt.

Single FULL GWX installer.
https://www.mediafire.com/file/a0w34..._Full.exe/file
Old 12-12-21, 10:17 AM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post

Ahhhh...

I stand corrected...

I blame it on... a lack of, navy mud... aka coffee.

M. M.
Old 12-12-21, 10:24 AM   #7
blackswan40
LSH-2022 Liaison Officer

Downloads: 589
Uploads: 30

Hi Flag4 ive sent you a PM with my Mediafire downloadlink of SH3 (already patched to 1.4)zipped up using 7zip from this revival install from my PC just in case your using the Original SH3 with that nasty starforce protection
also ensure you install it outside program files x86 just on drive C:/ or a second drive

Greywolfs Onkel Jeff's download site https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=102096

regards blackswan40

Last edited by blackswan40; 12-12-21 at 10:32 AM.
blackswan40 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-21, 12:20 PM   #8
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Greywolfs Onkel Jeff

My nieces and nephews, plus many of my friends children, call me Uncle Bucky.
Some of my Sub-Contractors call me abuelo. (Spanish for grandpa).
Wife just calls me when she wants money!
Old 12-12-21, 04:58 PM   #9
flag4
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackswan40 View Post
Hi Flag4 ive sent you a PM with my Mediafire downloadlink of SH3 (already patched to 1.4)zipped up using 7zip from this revival install from my PC just in case your using the Original SH3 with that nasty starforce protection
also ensure you install it outside program files x86 just on drive C:/ or a second drive

Greywolfs Onkel Jeff's download site https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=102096

regards blackswan40
thank you so much for your help. i downloaded it direct from steam. its patched to 1.4 too. unfortunately its slotted in program files x86. its running very smoothly on this new but low end laptop. at the moment all is well Herr Kaleun! thank you again.
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 12-12-21, 05:02 PM   #10
flag4
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post

thank you for this download! its all running well at present on windows11 laptop. drains the battery like hell. been a while since i last went out - maybe eight to ten years? so i'm finding my around around old familiar routines once more. thank for your help
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 12-14-21, 08:10 AM   #11
flag4
Watch Officer

Default laptop suddenly crashing at grey wolves screen before mission starts.

installed SH3 the other day onto this new laptop. plenty of power for it.
running windows11. inspiron 15 3000. downloaded from steam. patched to 1.4.
been running fine with gwx gold. then yesterday started crashing at grey wolves load screen back to desktop. cant figure it out?

steam puts it in program files x86. is it alright there. and if not how can i move to prog files?

had mod enabler running to. popped in a few installed mods. nothing heavy.

enabled SHCommander and that seemed to make it worse.

i am now all uninstalled and cleaned out. any help would be a great help!

thanks flag4
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 12-14-21, 11:41 AM   #12
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag4 View Post
installed SH3 the other day onto this new laptop. plenty of power for it.
running windows11. inspiron 15 3000. downloaded from steam. patched to 1.4.
been running fine with gwx gold. then yesterday started crashing at grey wolves load screen back to desktop. cant figure it out?

steam puts it in program files x86. is it alright there. and if not how can i move to prog files?

had mod enabler running to. popped in a few installed mods. nothing heavy.

enabled SHCommander and that seemed to make it worse.

i am now all uninstalled and cleaned out. any help would be a great help!

thanks flag4
You will want to consult Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Knowledgebase site. SH3 and JSGME both are "old" Windows XP programs. With the introduction of Vista, Windows introduced User Access Control (UAC) and other 'technologies', which restricts edits in the Program Files folders, and all "system" folders. Ostensibly, this is to protect the user and MS's OS from unauthorized intruders, such as worms and viruses, etc. However, JSGME is not "authorized" by Windows (being an "old" program) to make the cfg file and other changes, and therefore what Windows deems to be "system" files are rolled back, resulting in a mish-mash of Stock and GWX.

Make yourself a "Games" folder, or similar, and put your Steam games in there, or if you have a viable second hard drive, make a new Steam Library folder there, and install SH3 in there.

Even the disk version of the game does the same "default" install location of Program Files (x86), resulting in the same mess. Change the install path to a folder you make yourself, and put the game there. Another aspect to be aware of is the "help" that the 'modern' Windows gives the user with their video stream. Newer programs communicate with Windows, whereas SH3 doesn't have a clue what is going on in the background, and doesn't "understand" some of the techniques used by Windows to make things "pretty". You probably also have to use the SH3.exe "Properties" settings to make things "compatible" with Windows. This is a Windows 10 example of an SH4.exe screen on one of my computers:

The little "window" on top is from pressing the "Change high DPI settings" button. On one of our laptops, I have to use all the settings there. On most, just that "High DPI scaling override" section. With SH3, you do have to use the "Compatibility Mode" box, and on my machines, I set SH3 to "Windows XP", other folks use different settings. Experimentation is the name of the game. You have to get stock (the Steam version is v1.4b already) running correctly first, then do the mods and try more experiments, if necessary.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-21, 11:00 AM   #13
flag4
Watch Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
You will want to consult Moving a Steam Installation and Games on the Steam Knowledgebase site. SH3 and JSGME both are "old" Windows XP programs. With the introduction of Vista, Windows introduced User Access Control (UAC) and other 'technologies', which restricts edits in the Program Files folders, and all "system" folders. Ostensibly, this is to protect the user and MS's OS from unauthorized intruders, such as worms and viruses, etc. However, JSGME is not "authorized" by Windows (being an "old" program) to make the cfg file and other changes, and therefore what Windows deems to be "system" files are rolled back, resulting in a mish-mash of Stock and GWX.

Make yourself a "Games" folder, or similar, and put your Steam games in there, or if you have a viable second hard drive, make a new Steam Library folder there, and install SH3 in there.

Even the disk version of the game does the same "default" install location of Program Files (x86), resulting in the same mess. Change the install path to a folder you make yourself, and put the game there. Another aspect to be aware of is the "help" that the 'modern' Windows gives the user with their video stream. Newer programs communicate with Windows, whereas SH3 doesn't have a clue what is going on in the background, and doesn't "understand" some of the techniques used by Windows to make things "pretty". You probably also have to use the SH3.exe "Properties" settings to make things "compatible" with Windows. This is a Windows 10 example of an SH4.exe screen on one of my computers:

The little "window" on top is from pressing the "Change high DPI settings" button. On one of our laptops, I have to use all the settings there. On most, just that "High DPI scaling override" section. With SH3, you do have to use the "Compatibility Mode" box, and on my machines, I set SH3 to "Windows XP", other folks use different settings. Experimentation is the name of the game. You have to get stock (the Steam version is v1.4b already) running correctly first, then do the mods and try more experiments, if necessary.
hi propbeanie

thanks for taking the time to get back to me. but all the above is way over my knowledge base. i just wish to install SH3 on my laptop and get it running smoothly. i'm now left with nothing installed and a copy of SH3 in a zip file i cant install - don't know why? if i create a folder for it it says error or i don't have the right permissions? so i'm stumped. if you have any knowledge on how to install it correctly id be very grateful. cheers flag4
Kurt Vonnegut
Old 12-15-21, 11:15 AM   #14
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

You in the USA?
Old 12-15-21, 01:44 PM   #15
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by flag4 View Post
hi propbeanie

thanks for taking the time to get back to me. but all the above is way over my knowledge base. i just wish to install SH3 on my laptop and get it running smoothly. i'm now left with nothing installed and a copy of SH3 in a zip file i cant install - don't know why? if i create a folder for it it says error or i don't have the right permissions? so i'm stumped. if you have any knowledge on how to install it correctly id be very grateful. cheers flag4
Let Jeff know where you are located of course, but where are you attempting to create the folder? Open Windows Explorer / File Explorer, whatever you find on your computer to "see" the folders. Double-click on your C: drive icon to open it, and right-click in the right-hand pane and see if you don't have a "New..." option, with "Folder" after you left-click on "New". You should then see a "highlighted" dark blue "New folder" waiting for you to re-name it to whatever you'd like, such as "flag4zGames" or whatever. You then install SH3 in that folder, and GWX inside that particular SH3 game folder. If you cannot create a folder in the C: root, then you are logged-in on a restricted User account, and would probably find it easiest to log-in on an Administrator enabled account to do all of the set-up work, then go back and use your User account. As has been mentioned in other threads by several people now, using anything "protected" by Windows will defeat your efforts, whether the Documents folder, Program Files folders, etc. It doesn't matter if you have an original disk, new disk, Steam, Ubisoft or other download or whatever.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote