SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-21-21, 02:11 PM   #16
PETC
Sailor man

Downloads: 31
Uploads: 0

Game is installed:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/silent hunter 3

My understanding is that wiping out the folder located at My Documents/SH3 will remove my ongoing career save files, so no, I didn't touch anything in the My Documents/SH3 folder.

That being said I also deactivated all of my other mods currently active via JSGME and all of those being deactivated DID make a difference when I loaded my career but did not fix the problem. At this point I just plan on backing up my original install and just starting from scratch to see if I can get the problem to go away.
PETC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-21, 03:12 PM   #17
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by PETC View Post
Game is installed:
C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/steamapps/common/silent hunter 3

My understanding is that wiping out the folder located at My Documents/SH3 will remove my ongoing career save files, so no, I didn't touch anything in the My Documents/SH3 folder.

That being said I also deactivated all of my other mods currently active via JSGME and all of those being deactivated DID make a difference when I loaded my career but did not fix the problem. At this point I just plan on backing up my original install and just starting from scratch to see if I can get the problem to go away.
*sighs*

Ok, to begin with... problem # 1...

Windows UAC, is an ironfisted attack/watchdog of Windows. It does NOT agree with any tampering of files under it's (UAC's) control.

Thereby, any... "tampering" & yes, adding in mods, does classify as such... as those mods, overwrite files & such to your SH3 copy. Period.

That you have Steam & everything associated with it... ala the games library & any & all games in said library location... are ipso defacto, residing in the iron curtain land of "UAC"...

That said... newer games, are custom designed nowadays, to run inside "UAC's vaunted iron grip control... & as such, are more capable of handling being "tampered with... aka modded... in said environment. However...

however, older games/sims... such as SH3, SH4... & quite possibly included in there, SH5... aren't. Or any other game/s-sims, from in that same time frame as them.

Best solution.... however, not going to lie... is going to be painful... (especially, if... IF, you have a whole lotta games/sims downloaded & installed via a 'la Steam. ) solution to that...

that solution... uninstall all those games, as well as Steam & it's library. Otherwise known of, as... scorched earth approach. Then, reinstall Steam's launcher 1st... & Then inform it of just where, to reinstall your games.

Doing that reinstall, via 1 of a couple of different ways & means, dependent on what your HD situation is.

1 HD set up:

Going into your pc folder... right click & add in a new folder, aptly named... "Games" (minus the " marks, of course...) that's step 1.

2. In that folder, set up the following named folders.

2-A. Launchers (This is where you will install any & all other launchers, besides the aforementioned "Steam" one.)

2-B. Library (this is where you tell the launchers, to NOW install games from said launchers... All other gams/sims, NOT requiring a launcher can just be installed in an aptly named folder in the main folder, named "Games".)

Then begin the process of reinstalling Steam then the games from them... pointing the way to the newly created local for them to go.

Have NOT had just 1 HD for some time... but... the method I outlined here... should work, without issues... as namely, that will put not only Steam, but it's library, as well as any & all games from them acquired... well outside of UAC's iron fisted, king kong, darth vader dictator death grip.

a 2 HD set up pc, or even a 1 HD pc.. (be it a laptop or desktop, doesn't matter here... ) that the user has any number of externals... can set up the launchers, as outlined above in the 1 HD only pc... & follow up with the libraries & games in the 2nd HD of their choice... keeping the whole shebang out of UAC's death grip.

After that, is simply setting up for modding SH3 (or any other game, for that matter...) to their hearts content. Following of course, the basic standard rules of making sure that you've grabbed the right game/sim version, mods for the version you have, as well as that said mods, work with other mods that you grabbed... & making sure to read the read me's that come with those mods (should they have one... or failing that, the install directions, listed in the mods main thread.

Strongly recommend, that with SH3... or for that matter, any other game/sim... that you leave the initial install alone, as your gold standard, go to virgin pristine copy & set up an aptly named mod named folder then paste the guts of that game into it & mod it, instead...

Before even running SH3 that very 1st time to finalize its install...

recommend, that you 1 click the .exe, go to its "properties" menu & do the following.

In the "General" tab of "Properties", ensure that write-only" is NOT check marked. If it is, uncheck & click "apply".

After that, go into the "Compatibility" tab section, & check that the following is done:

1. In the "Compatibility mode" section in "Compatibility", check run this program in: click on the selection box (which should be default listing "Windows XP"...

scroll down that list & select, instead... Windows 7.

Next, go down further on that same page & find the box tagged...

"Run this as Admin" & check mark that box.

After that, click accept, then OK. Done.

Now, you are free & clear, to run SH3 for the very 1st run...

After that,

Highly recommend, grabbing MultiSH3 thereby using that, to keep the modded SH3's game saves, separate from the initial SH3 run save folder created. No need to delete that save folder..., is best you leave it... saves having to recreate it later on down the line.

Hopefully this helps, not only you... but any other "Steam" user, as well.

M. M.