SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 10-15-10, 09:25 AM   #1
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147
Uploads: 0
Default Das Boot film variations question.

..i was looking at the dvds on amazon and saw that there are 3 different editions of Das Boot. i have read/heard somewhere in a review there is a 6 hour version from the original TV version then there is the one i have:

Das Boot - The Mini Series (2 Disc Uncut Version) which comes in at 4hours 42mins approx. it also has the special feature interview. ( which is not that special coz it does not go on very long )

then this one;

Das Boot (Directors Cut) which comes in at 200minutes.

then this one:

Das Boot (Mini-Series) ( The Boat ) which comes in at 282 minutes - which is the same length as mine.

whats the difference between the two longer versions - is it just the packaging?

and...*hands together in praying style*...is there a 6 hour version - or am i just dreaming/praying
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 10:10 AM   #2
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Downloads: 745
Uploads: 249

Almost certainly the only difference is the packaging. Here in the States it is known as the 'Original Uncut Version',

and is also 292 minutes, which of course is 4 hours 52 minutes. It is the longest - there is no "6-hour" version. I assume this mistake came about because the miniseries as six episodes, each about 48 minutes (probably 55 minutes with opening and closing credits for each episode).
Old 10-15-10, 10:16 AM   #3
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Location: Skyri--oh who are we kidding, I'm probably at Lowe's. Again.
Downloads: 168

Quote:
whats the difference between the two longer versions - is it just the packaging?
This, I'm pretty sure.

The "6 hours" you often see in reference to the mini-series version was the actual running time on European television.

As Steve notes, some of that time was for opening/closing credits... and when it ran on TV each episode also began with a short "previously on" segment that summarized the story up to that point. None of that stuff from individual episodes is included in the DVD presentation of the miniseries, since it's unnecessary (and would be obtrusive) in that format.
frau kaleun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 10:20 AM   #4
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

On the other hand these days I usually watch the movie an hour or so at a time, and if they were to release a real 'Miniseries' version, with the episode as originally aired, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I keep wondering exactly where the breaks are.
Old 10-15-10, 10:24 AM   #5
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor Steve View Post
On the other hand these days I usually watch the movie an hour or so at a time, and if they were to release a real 'Miniseries' version, with the episode as originally aired, I would buy it in a heartbeat. I keep wondering exactly where the breaks are.
I'd buy it as well. I'd prolly buy a BluRay release, even though I wouldn't have anything to play it on. Yet.

What I would really love is some kind of collector's edition with lots of extras. Preferably some kind of "making of" feature on the original production, I'm almost positive there is a making-of documentary that was done but never released over here. I think I've seen bits of it on youtube, all it would need is subtitles.
Old 10-15-10, 01:32 PM   #6
flag4
Watch Officer

Downloads: 147

...thanks for the clarification!

i watched the 2nd disc - 2nd half yesterday, thats what got me thinking, i had read this thing about 6 hours and thought what else am i missing, obviously nothing - only the dream...and the book - nothing happens most of the time - is always worth a re-read...

...though i could watch it all and then - without pause - go straight in to U571...

cheers.

ps have you noticed that it does not seem like 4.5 hours if you watch it all in one go. oh yeah, before i go, any one got 'Stalingrad' without the english dubbing - i'll pay the post, if not too much
Kurt Vonnegut
flag4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 01:47 PM   #7
JokerOfFate
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 7

Wait there's an Engish verison of Stalingrad... I watch the Russian verison
JokerOfFate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 02:08 PM   #8
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Probably the most popular UK version (also the one I have):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Das-Boot-Min...7169431&sr=1-2

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 02:09 PM   #9
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JokerOfFate View Post
Wait there's an Engish verison of Stalingrad... I watch the Russian verison
Could this be what your looking for?:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Stalingrad-D...7169620&sr=1-1

Format: Dubbed, PAL
Language English, German
Subtitles: German

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-10, 02:25 PM   #10
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39

I have the Director's Cut of Das Boot, which also includes a "Making of" documentary. I also own the original DVD of the theatrical release, but I prefer the Director's Cut both for its enhanced content and also for its remastered sound. Play the two discs on a decent system and you will definitely notice the difference in sound.

Stalingrad? There's a good film, though it does become overweening in parts. The poor Germans seem to always have to make a war film in which they rip out their guts in guilt. Just make the movie and leave the moralizing out of it, please. I watch it with German speech and occasionally English subtitles. I've picked up quite a bit of German this way, but not really enough to converse. I'd like to invest in the Rosetta Stone software, but money's tight for my household right now. I know I could download a pirated copy on Bit Torrent or get a copy from a friend, but I'm not a thief.

Cross of Iron is probably my favourite war film, with Das Boot a close second or even tied for first. Stalingrad comes next. The Band of Brothers series is also right up there. I'm looking forward to The Pacific. And Saving Private Ryan is also on the list. What I appreciate most in a war film is realism of equipment and uniforms, authentic language [i.e. real German or Japanese, not accented English] and dialogue. Soldiers swore a lot; I should know, I was one. I know once upon a time Hollywood had to have John Wayne say such things as, "Golly gee" but today film makers are no longer under such strictures. I do object to gratuitous profanity; it is no substitute for a good script, something I wish script writers would realize. You can't rescue a crappy film with swearing and nudity.
Old 10-15-10, 02:33 PM   #11
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-61 View Post
I have the Director's Cut of Das Boot, which also includes a "Making of" documentary.
Yes, there is a short (much too short, IMO) featurette, but nothing like what I've seen clips of on youtube... which appeared to have been taken from a doc made for German audiences, since it was all in German with no attempt at subtitling. Lots of behind-the-scenes stuff, with someone narrating... I remember seeing one clip that seemed to be the daily "sit-down" that everyone involved in that day's schedule would have prior to shooting any footage, where they would discuss the scenes to be shot, dialogue, character stuff... looked fascinating. I don't know if any making-of documentary was ever officially released and shown in the European market, but if so I would love to see it (with subtitles). I do know that something along those lines must've been produced or in production at some point because there is footage out there.
Old 10-15-10, 02:37 PM   #12
K-61
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 39

To quote Wayne's World, "I did not know that!" I'll keep my eyes open for those clips or any future documentary.
Old 10-15-10, 02:51 PM   #13
frau kaleun
Rear Admiral

I think I stumbled on them as related links from something else I was watching at youtube... either that or someone posted some URLs here a while back, and that's how I ended up seeing the clips. At one point I had a bunch of youtube URLs bookmarked on my computer at home, things I wanted to go back and watch when I had more time. I'll have to check and see if they're still there and if any of the clips I'm thinking of are among them.
Old 10-16-10, 12:00 AM   #14
Sailor Steve
Eternal Patrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbuna View Post
Probably the most popular UK version (also the one I have):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Das-Boot-Min...7169431&sr=1-2
From the description given in the review that is identical to our 'Original Uncut Version'. Just a different label.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-61
I also own the original DVD of the theatrical release, but I prefer the Director's Cut both for its enhanced content and also for its remastered sound.
Yes, the DC has the best sound, which does not carry over to the 'Uncut' version. But the 'Uncut' version is much longer and by far tells the best story, so it's the only one I ever watch anymore.
Old 10-16-10, 07:37 PM   #15
Tessa
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 22

Yet another version, the one I have is the Superbit made directors cut. Sadly it doesn't have any extra featuers, but for a regular dvd (not HD) the picture quality is subperb and great audio tracks. I've seen some of the new blue ray ones, and while they're picture quality is better they still manage to cut out some scenes here and there enough to detract me from wanting to buy it - one version for example when Jurgen steps onto the boat for the first time and addresses the crew he just says something to the effect of, "how are you men" and they all reply. Then it cuts to the chief telling Werner, "good speach eh".

Pretty bad that you have to use the running time as the criteria anything that's at least 200 minutes + will have pretty much the chunk of what its in the original TV series.

Though probably not popular among most fellow kaleuns, I enjoy watching the English dub - frequently have it on while I'm playing SH3. Since every cast member did their own dubbing in English I find its a real unique production as each actor didn't have to try and imagine what the original person was trying to say or how they said it since they were the ones that did so in the first place! One part in the English version that is absolutely hilarious is the Medics inspection of the crew, watching it with the German soundtrack its almost unpleasant to watch and think about. The way they joke about it in the English has had me out of breath from laughing a few times
Tessa is offline   Reply With Quote