SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-19-21, 12:35 PM   #211
lonehawknz
Mate

Downloads: 33
Uploads: 0
Default Dearly wish I could get this thing to work!!

Thanks for all the advice and prior posts above guys. Very helpful.

Unfortunately, having tried literally all of them, with a copy of Win10 and SH4 Gold, unmodded but with all of the above suggestions having been tried, I still get a crash on load OR about 20-30secs of 3D game time and then a crash. And it's not just a CTD, my entire system freezes and I have to do a hard reset. It is as though the GPU just gives up. Hopeless and annoying...
  • I've got the game stored in a non Program Files folder, on a separate partition
    I've set all files to read-write
    I've applied LAA
    I've got the game set to run as Admin
    I've applied the DPI settings
    I've got it set to Disable Full Screen Optimization
    I've got it set to Win7 Compatibility
    I've tried in both Windowed and Full Screen mode 1920x1080

Any ideas? I'm fast losing the will - which is a shame as I swear it used to run fine on Win10 only just a year ago!

TIA

Old 12-19-21, 01:12 PM   #212
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome Back!

lonehawknz I see the infamous -seven-year-itch has hit you twice! nice 14 year silent run!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-21, 04:31 AM   #213
lonehawknz
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
lonehawknz I see the infamous -seven-year-itch has hit you twice! nice 14 year silent run!

Old 12-20-21, 09:05 AM   #214
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Do you have a disk version of Gold? If you do, did you install the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs? If you have a recent download version, those usually will automatically install the dll needed by the game. You mention 1920x1080 - is that what your monitor's "native" resolution is? Windows refers to the native setting as "(recommended)" in the resolution settings dialog.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-21, 09:43 AM   #215
lonehawknz
Mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Do you have a disk version of Gold? If you do, did you install the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs? If you have a recent download version, those usually will automatically install the dll needed by the game. You mention 1920x1080 - is that what your monitor's "native" resolution is? Windows refers to the native setting as "(recommended)" in the resolution settings dialog.
It's the Ubisoft Connect (ex-uPlay) version of Gold. It did do the DirectX install post-main installation but I've re-run it manually as well. No improvement.

My monitor's native resolution is 1920x1080 and that's what I've set the game to as well.

Thanks for getting back to me propbeanie. I am a bit stumped as to what else I could try!
Old 12-20-21, 12:08 PM   #216
propbeanie

... and no mods yet... hmmm

Just double-checking, but the image on the page before:

The littler window is from clicking the "Change high DPI settings" button, of course, and I have a computer where I had to use that top section, clicking on the "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." tick box, and then on the "Use the DPI that's set for my main display:" and on the drop-down use "When I start this program". I have since been able to disable that section after a video card driver update (2x nVidia 980s).

I suppose when you open the "Properties" dialog there, you should revisit that first tab for "General", and make certain the "Attributes" section for "Read-only" is cleared fershure ferserttin...

You should not have any issues getting stock to run in WinVista through 11 with no problems. I have four computers with it on them, and one is VGA, one is DVI, one is HDMI & one is that video connect thingie... all have slightly different settings for that "Properties" "Compatibility" page.

Just happened to think - has the Ubisoft Connect updated, and "authorized" the license? That def has to be done with a UConnect version, similar to what the Steam version does.

Old 12-20-21, 01:10 PM   #217
lonehawknz
Mate

Quote:
... and no mods yet... hmmm

Just double-checking, but the image on the page before:

The littler window is from clicking the "Change high DPI settings" button, of course, and I have a computer where I had to use that top section, clicking on the "Use this setting to fix scaling problems..." tick box, and then on the "Use the DPI that's set for my main display:" and on the drop-down use "When I start this program". I have since been able to disable that section after a video card driver update (2x nVidia 980s).

I suppose when you open the "Properties" dialog there, you should revisit that first tab for "General", and make certain the "Attributes" section for "Read-only" is cleared fershure ferserttin...

You should not have any issues getting stock to run in WinVista through 11 with no problems. I have four computers with it on them, and one is VGA, one is DVI, one is HDMI & one is that video connect thingie... all have slightly different settings for that "Properties" "Compatibility" page.

Just happened to think - has the Ubisoft Connect updated, and "authorized" the license? That def has to be done with a UConnect version, similar to what the Steam version does.

All authorised and I'm able to get right the way through to the 3d gameplay setting. It then inevitably crashes after between 1 and 30secs in.

And I've set all the additional settings in your post above. I suspect it may be a graphics settings issue (as in an issue with my GFX card or the nVidia settings themselves). I use DisplayPort.

Definitely Read-Write rather than Read-Only.

Thank you for you ongoing efforts Sir! I am beginning to feel like a troublesome patient!

Old 12-21-21, 07:01 AM   #218
lonehawknz
Mate

Icon10 Success!! (at least for now!)

Found the issue. Finally managed to capture a crash with a specific event log. Whenever the whole pc crashed of course, all I would get in Event Viewer was the "PC reset unexpectedly" whereas yesterday, tinkering with unloading apps from my system tray I finally managed to get a CTD instead of a full hard reboot.

Kernel.dll was the faulting module. Instantly one thinks of ROM and RAM.

I unloaded everything from my system tray, reverted the startup application set to the bare minimum, loaded up the game and I can report all 4 training missions ran fine with no crashes.

Now to try modding up. But I think we've found the culprit, Meiner Herren!

Thanks Propbeanie, for all your help. Hopefully my solution will also help some Commanders who may have had the same issue. Can't believe it comes back to that old chestnut of memory limits.

Huzzah!

Old 12-21-21, 03:13 PM   #219
propbeanie

Hmmm... I wonder if some one of the background apps was "killing" the SH4.exe? Like something "3D" for the vid card??

Old 12-22-21, 04:13 AM   #220
lonehawknz
Mate

I'm going to say Nahimic Companion. As I've had a repeat CTD with it loaded and conversely not suffered any issues once I exited it from the system tray.

Really annoying as of course you can't remove it.

Old 12-22-21, 11:33 AM   #221
propbeanie

Most interesting... That one is a tough bugger to get rid of too, from what I have read. It is a "legit" app for the modern OS and hardware, but I can also see where it would muck-up an old game install, attempting to control all things audio, like Nahimic Companion does... I did find an MS Community posting about getting rid of it, if you want. You do have to read the whole page, including the "Replies (10)" at the bottom of the page. I wonder if that's what is causing a CMD.exe window to pop open on my one laptop now? I don't try to run SH4 on it, but I might give it a whirl there and see if it crashes...

Old 12-22-21, 01:14 PM   #222
lonehawknz
Mate

Quote:
Most interesting... That one is a tough bugger to get rid of too, from what I have read. It is a "legit" app for the modern OS and hardware, but I can also see where it would muck-up an old game install, attempting to control all things audio, like Nahimic Companion does... I did find an MS Community posting about getting rid of it, if you want. You do have to read the whole page, including the "Replies (10)" at the bottom of the page. I wonder if that's what is causing a CMD.exe window to pop open on my one laptop now? I don't try to run SH4 on it, but I might give it a whirl there and see if it crashes...
You Sir, are a true CTD bloodhound!!!

Old 12-22-21, 03:39 PM   #223
propbeanie

Well, it is part of my avatar "CTD - it's not just a job", it's an adventure... btw, CTD is "Crash To Desktop", and "Compulsive Tweaking Disorder". In this case, it applies to both...

I am currently on that laptop, and SH4 plays fine with the onboard Intel IRIS graphics, though I did encounter a "smoke" anomaly just now, so I dunno. I've never had "stuttering" smoke in SH4 before, and at that, on only one of seven ships smoking and on fire, so go figure. This computer does NOT show Nahimic Companion running, but it does have the signs of it, just nothing listed, as that user on the MS Community reported. Why are they trying to hide it? I'm sure it's for a "seamless user experience"...

Old 12-22-21, 07:08 PM   #224
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Well, it is part of my avatar "CTD - it's not just a job", it's an adventure... btw, CTD is "Crash To Desktop", and "Compulsive Tweaking Disorder". In this case, it applies to both...

I am currently on that laptop, and SH4 plays fine with the onboard Intel IRIS graphics, though I did encounter a "smoke" anomaly just now, so I dunno. I've never had "stuttering" smoke in SH4 before, and at that, on only one of seven ships smoking and on fire, so go figure. This computer does NOT show Nahimic Companion running, but it does have the signs of it, just nothing listed, as that user on the MS Community reported. Why are they trying to hide it? I'm sure it's for a "seamless user experience"...
I'd like to show Microsoft... just what I think of their... "seamless user experience"... take it, & shove it up their "aft torpedo tube"....

M. M.
Old 12-23-21, 05:49 AM   #225
lonehawknz
Mate

Quote:

Quite!

Thanks again mate!