SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-07-21, 11:33 AM   #1
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default Tension When Playing SH4??

I find that when playing SH4 it becomes more than a game. I get as much tension from SH4 as I do pleasure. But I find if I save frequently, it takes some of the realism from the game. I think having limited Game Saves might be a possible game option.

I don't think our Dads or granddad's got much fun from the actual fighting in the Pacific, whether it was on the islands, in Subs or on Surface ships, but I think players of SH4 should be looking to get a little fun when playing.

Does anyone see what I'm trying to say? I'm having trouble describing the dichotomy between the pleasure and tension we get from playing SH4..... or any War game that tries to be as realistic as possible.

Ahoy Matey!
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 12:03 PM   #2
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
I find that when playing SH4 it becomes more than a game. I get as much tension from SH4 as I do pleasure. But I find if I save frequently, it takes some of the realism from the game. I think having limited Game Saves might be a possible game option.

I don't think our Dads or granddad's got much fun from the actual fighting in the Pacific, whether it was on the islands, in Subs or on Surface ships, but I think players of SH4 should be looking to get a little fun when playing.

Does anyone see what I'm trying to say? I'm having trouble describing the dichotomy between the pleasure and tension we get from playing SH4..... or any War game that tries to be as realistic as possible.

Ahoy Matey!
Yes, understand what you are saying. I have been running SH 4 since 2008 and while have taken breaks always come back, the growth of this sim thanks to the modders continues and is pretty amazing.

The tension and dynamic experience is the fun of this sim, especially when enhanced by the mods. This is not arcade game, especially at high realism it takes a investment of time if doing a career and much as in real life, a incorrect decision can lead to serious damage, loss of boat, failure to complete assignment , etc. Being depth charged for hours in real time, especially if have the external camera off, is intense. The times when your sub is damage and barely survives, is part of the tension. Tracking a convoy for days and attacking is intense. So yes, it all comes together to make a fun experience, or simulation. Thus the difference as we know between a submarine simulator and a game.

Of course player can enhance experience by not cheating, not using external camera for tactical advantage, running on full realism settings etc. No reloading saves when killed or dead to repeat and save career.

I save frequently on patrol in case of random things like a power outage, or the rare CTD. However, if my boat is sunk , then my career over and start a new one, no exceptions.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 08:12 PM   #3
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 1375

i even roll dice for breakdowns
les green01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 11:09 PM   #4
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
i even roll dice for breakdowns
Breakdowns?
Old 12-07-21, 11:51 PM   #5
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

equipment failures then roll again see how bad the failures are if i got to head back to port for repairs
Old 12-08-21, 12:17 PM   #6
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by les green01 View Post
equipment failures then roll again see how bad the failures are if i got to head back to port for repairs

Ah got it. I do wish this was actually simulated in the game, especially the early issues with the HOR engines.
Old 12-08-21, 03:49 PM   #7
Ludwig van Hursh
A-ganger

Downloads: 65

SH4 and SH3 can be very tense though I like to say when I describe it to my friends that it is several hours of boredom punctuated by five minutes of shear terror and that is what makes it a awesome game!
Old 12-09-21, 08:55 PM   #8
les green01
Seasoned Skipper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Ah got it. I do wish this was actually simulated in the game, especially the early issues with the HOR engines.
same here or getting the call from sp and hearing about the crew having fun on r&r
Old 12-10-21, 03:31 PM   #9
Threadfin
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 38

I think disabling external cameras is the key for producing the sort of experience I want out of sub sims. Few mouse clicks in all of simdom have a more transformational effect on the experience than disabling externals in sub sims. In my view.

All of the realism options have an effect, but external views is the most comprehensive.
Old 12-10-21, 05:58 PM   #10
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Threadfin View Post
I think disabling external cameras is the key for producing the sort of experience I want out of sub sims. Few mouse clicks in all of simdom have a more transformational effect on the experience than disabling externals in sub sims. In my view.

All of the realism options have an effect, but external views is the most comprehensive.
Agreed. Add in EAX sound sim mod by Vickers03 with the cam off, and if really want to push it, have map contacts updates off, so your only way to know what is happening is via sound, you get quite the immersive experience.

I am trying to work in the sound effect of unexploded depth charge bouncing off the hull, which was in the old Traveller mod. Talk about tense moments.
Old 12-20-21, 12:30 PM   #11
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default Tension When Playing SH4??

Ditto about the external camera! I often finding myself wondering what Mush or some of the other great captains of the era might do when faced with a huge japanese fleet with a 1/2 dozen enemy destroyers heading full steam toward their boat! If they had been able to open a ext camera it would have changed their tactics dramatically IMO!. And their successes would have been even greater!

Ahoy Mates
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apprehension, realism, tension