SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-05-21, 05:12 PM   #16
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Mister_M should be culling down some files with some suggestions I gave him.
Old 12-05-21, 06:04 PM   #17
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Right.
So if you cut the English speech files and only use the German files?
You save space on your hard drive but it really shouldn't even be reading those files. "The fastest way to have the Game load is with an SSD drive." < - THIS

Old 12-05-21, 06:08 PM   #18
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

One way to help, depending on if your install has them in the first place is to replace any 3d units you want, with their 2d versions from the stock version.
I.e., I could care less about 3d aircraft. Crash dive time, not gawking time.

So I just use the NYGM versions and the only reason I use those is for the better "Battle of the Atlantic" skins vs. stock.
Old 12-05-21, 07:06 PM   #19
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff-Groves View Post
Right.
So if you cut the English speech files and only use the German files?
You save space on your hard drive but it really shouldn't even be reading those files. "The fastest way to have the Game load is with an SSD drive."< - THIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Pancoast View Post

Nice, if you're blessed with deep enough pockets, to afford all of them... there nice shiny extras, bells & whistles...

Unfortunately... some of us, ain't blessed with them there, nice deep pockets & have to do the best with what they can or have... *sighs* just know, that this isn't Me, judging or anything of that... it's just... Me, venting frustration... but... not at y'all...

M. M.
Old 12-05-21, 07:25 PM   #20
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post

Nice, if you're blessed with deep enough pockets, to afford all of them... there nice shiny extras, bells & whistles...

Unfortunately... some of us, ain't blessed with them there, nice deep pockets & have to do the best with what they can or have... *sighs* just know, that this isn't Me, judging or anything of that... it's just... Me, venting frustration... but... not at y'all...

M. M.

Understood. Heck, I play it on a 2009 windows 8.1 laptop.
Old 12-06-21, 10:30 AM   #21
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Our last i3 Win81 lappy died a few weeks ago. Onboard Intel graphics, and it did fine with SH3, and could do most SH4 mods. The mid-grade i5 machine with onboard Intel HD graphics does fine also, and can even run SH4 with FotRSU on Win10. It is "tight" though. Two desktops, one with Win10, the other a triple-boot XP / Win7 / Win10 machine (XP is still needed for a couple of audio apps) does fine with all of the SH series games, and is able to run SH4 FotRSU in Windows XP also, using the 3Gig switch in the boot.ini - In other words, all versions of Windows, from XP through Win11 will run SH3 no problem. You are better off with a 64-bit machine though, to be able to set the SH3.exe file to be LAA. It is just a matter of setting the SH3.exe Properties pages, especially the Compatibility tab, to suit your video system.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-21, 05:50 PM   #22
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar

Ok....

enough with all the sappy, touchy feely... 💩

What say, we get back to the meat of the subject... how to best get SH3 in trim fighting shape... & not have it flat line...

M. M.
Old 12-06-21, 05:57 PM   #23
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I was gonna mention I just gave away a notebook with Windows 7 and a 500 Gig SSD.
Now. Based on your system? IF it can handle an SSD drive? 125 Gig SSd's are around $30 or so.
Hell! I'll send you one if you give me your system specs!
An external SSD using USB 3.0? 1 TB's for like $50!

Now. Maybe that is a lot of money to you. But not to me. So if I'm willing to gift you an SSD?
Only Pride can get in the way.
Old 12-07-21, 08:24 AM   #24
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Quote:
how to best get SH3 in trim fighting shape... & not have it flat line...
With very simple 3D models and textures. I'm currently testing this idea with a more realistic Buckley DE built on the model of WoWS released by Alex.B, but with the same or maybe less triangles than SH3 vanilla model. And I intend to re-use the vanilla and GWX textures for compatibility.

We could give the name "minimalist" to this mod.

Last edited by Mister_M; 12-07-21 at 08:41 AM.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 12:32 PM   #25
kyle9154
Commander

Downloads: 368

I wish you guys the best of luck in this endeavour, keep at it guys as this could be the base for all super/megamods out there.

Admin for the Onealex Mod Discord - https://discord.gg/bKCdQekE4W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSpRvfqFYp0&t
kyle9154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 03:58 PM   #26
Doolar
Expert Shipsinker

Downloads: 360
Default Re

First of all, I know absolutely 0 on these things, but I'm interested in learning and in this thread. In the image in post 24, would the "new low poly" models, be less detailed (viewing wise) or would they be just as beautiful and as visual as they are now? Would the ships behave differently? Sorry for the dumb question. thanx.
Old 12-07-21, 04:37 PM   #27
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
First of all, I know absolutely 0 on these things, but I'm interested in learning and in this thread. In the image in post 24, would the "new low poly" models, be less detailed (viewing wise) or would they be just as beautiful and as visual as they are now? Would the ships behave differently? Sorry for the dumb question. thanx.

They may look different, (not to my old eyes, but maybe younger ones ) they would not behave different.
Old 12-08-21, 08:18 AM   #28
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doolar View Post
Yes, low poly and I will remove all useless small details (which can't be seen from a periscope point of view anyway, nor from old eyes ). But they will look a lot more like the real ships (shape, proportions, measures, disposition of the armament...).

This is a lot of work and I will probably do this only for the most representative units.

This approach could be ideally used to have a lot of different types of merchant ships at low coast for the RAM.

By the way, I don't have GWX installed anymore. Could someone send me the GWX files for the Buckley DE (.dat, .sim, ... and textures) ? And also the textures which come with the additional mod which adds a lot of textures and skins to GWX depending on the year (I don't remember the name of this mod, but it must be used with SH3 Commander IIRC).
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-21, 02:37 PM   #29
Anvar1061
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 843

GWX_Combined_Skin_Pack
Old 12-09-21, 06:29 AM   #30
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:

M. M.
Your time has a value attached to it. Minimal hourly wage in your area is like 10$, SSD is 30$. If trimming SH to get similar loading time on HDD to what you'll get on SSD takes less than 3 hours, it's worth your time, if not - it isn't unless you are just having fun while doing it in which case it is totally good idea to spend as much time as you like on this task
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote