SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter III
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-01-21, 06:41 PM   #46
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
ditto John Pancoast and Randomizer. For me, Up Periscope, Red Storm Rising and a few others were dipping my toes into the subs, and lead me to SSI/Aegis's Silent Hunter (the original) and AOD. I made myself boot disks to get those running on my anemic systems back then. So I was so hopeful when SH II came out, with Destroyer Command, and never so disappointed... until SH3, then SH4, then SH5... time after time... Only modders have made the "modern" games playable, especially SH5. All the SH games are over at least 10 years old, and the engine is over 15. What is really a shame is the money. No, games are not free, but they are also not inexpensive. If they worked out of the box, fine, but... From my perspective, having been a paid programmer for a short time, is that they bought too much pizza and Mountain Dew (or coke, with a small "C") with the money, and did not spend enough money to properly find out how the previous version of the game worked. Kind of slapped something together and Ubi shoved it out the door (except SHII which took forever)... Don't have time to do it right the first time, but we do have time to go back and try to fix it, and do that again, and again, and again...

- sorry... apologies to the OP and Topic... lol - but seriously, why was SH II / Destroyer Command never followed up on? The possibilities are endless.

Sometimes I think it actually take more work/time/money to do things wrong vs. right in the first place.
Old 12-01-21, 06:55 PM   #47
Randomizer
Watch Officer

Downloads: 131
Uploads: 0

+1 PB, thanks.

I still have the SH2 disk and got Destroyer Command up and running, such as it is while leaving the former in its case. I had forgotten how heartbreaking SH2 was on arrival, with so many positive expectations drowned in a slough of mouldering, stinking, ooze upon delivery.

-C
Randomizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 07:08 PM   #48
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post
+1 PB, thanks.

I still have the SH2 disk and got Destroyer Command up and running, such as it is while leaving the former in its case. I had forgotten how heartbreaking SH2 was on arrival, with so many positive expectations drowned in a slough of mouldering, stinking, ooze upon delivery.

-C
By the way, what about SH1 ?
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-21, 07:11 PM   #49
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

SH1 was much better out of the box than the following SH versions.
Old 12-01-21, 07:18 PM   #50
FUBAR295
Krusty Krab

Downloads: 429

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randomizer View Post

-C
My big disappointment with SH2 was no dynamic campaign and missions had to be written out. Col777's Kreigstanz was a big help in setting up missions.

Good hunting,
FUBAR295

FUBAR295 is online   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 09:06 AM   #51
derstosstrupp
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 489

I play AotD with several “personal rules” which I plan on drafting up and posting at some point, but one of them is I have to “earn” the ability to use the tactical chart to aid the approach. I keep it zoomed in always so I can’t practically see anything. When I sight a target, I pay attention to the “targeting cross” on the ship. When it gets bright, meaning its data has been figured out, only then may I zoom the chart out and use that as a reference.

This adds quite a challenge, is a good compromise and forces you to try to match course and speed parallel for a while as in real life to get the data prior to doing anything else.

One-Stop Targeting Shop:
https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...WwBt-1vjW28JbO
My YT Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCIJ...9FXbD3S2kgwdPQ
derstosstrupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-21, 10:28 AM   #52
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by derstosstrupp View Post
I play AotD with several “personal rules” which I plan on drafting up and posting at some point, but one of them is I have to “earn” the ability to use the tactical chart to aid the approach. I keep it zoomed in always so I can’t practically see anything. When I sight a target, I pay attention to the “targeting cross” on the ship. When it gets bright, meaning its data has been figured out, only then may I zoom the chart out and use that as a reference.

This adds quite a challenge, is a good compromise and forces you to try to match course and speed parallel for a while as in real life to get the data prior to doing anything else.

Good stuff. Personally, I consider the chart (including the one in SH3), etc. as an aid to make up for the lack of situational awareness/crew info. one would be given as commander irl vs. a computer. Even standing on the bridge in SH3, one's field of view is nothing like it would be irl, i.e.
For that matter, I also like the true bearings AOD gives you; simulates the info. a crew member would figure out/plot and give you as commander anyway.
Plus, it's something that always has to be determined even in SH3. AOD just does it for you instead, which as I prefer the role of commander vs. a handful of crew members, seems about right to me.
Old 12-07-21, 10:59 AM   #53
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Default All the missing Features of a WWII Submarine Sim should have

1. I'd like to have the ability to create realistic weather more easily.
2. I'd like the torp tracks to be more visible.
3. Are there any additional commands not shown in the Manual? If so I'd like to be able to find them more easily.
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-21, 11:36 AM   #54
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
1. I'd like to have the ability to create realistic weather more easily.
2. I'd like the torp tracks to be more visible.
3. Are there any additional commands not shown in the Manual? If so I'd like to be able to find them more easily.
1. Yes, me too.
2. Is this historically correct ?
3. I don't know, but probably not.
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote