SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SHIII Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 11-17-21, 08:31 AM   #1
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

radar Re: Putting SH3, on a diet...

Been thinking on this subject... & am really... interested, in knowing...

Is it possible to put SH3 (stock, to begin with...) on a diet, of non needed files & folders... to facilitate the feasibility of being able to use say... mods that improve the interiors better, additional ships, (better designed with better damage models, different skins... NOT to fail to mention, ensuring that the ships in it, as well as add on ships mods, have factual, actual used ships included in the rosters & convoy's) & the improvement of Wilhelmshaven, Lorient (namely, proper base locations) & other bases used by the Uboats during the war, that had dock locks such as Wilhelmshaven did.

Am thinking, that 1 area to start would be with the single missions section... & the museum (2ndly).. to begin with... & any other stuff NOT deemed needed for SH3 to run.

Thoughts... idea's... suggestions...

M. M.
Old 11-17-21, 08:39 AM   #2
kyle9154
Commander

Downloads: 368

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Been thinking on this subject... & am really... interested, in knowing...

Is it possible to put SH3 (stock, to begin with...) on a diet, of non needed files & folders... to facilitate the feasibility of being able to use say... mods that improve the interiors better, additional ships, (better designed with better damage models, different skins... NOT to fail to mention, ensuring that the ships in it, as well as add on ships mods, have factual, actual used ships included in the rosters & convoy's) & the improvement of Wilhelmshaven, Lorient (namely, proper base locations) & other bases used by the Uboats during the war, that had dock locks such as Wilhelmshaven did.

Am thinking, that 1 area to start would be with the single missions section... & the museum (2ndly).. to begin with... & any other stuff NOT deemed needed for SH3 to run.

Thoughts... idea's... suggestions...

M. M.
I'm interested on the subject as well, it would be worth doing as a whole new project to have a sort of SH3 GWX Lite compilation mod where all the unnecessary files and non pertinent files are removed as long as it doesn't affect the operation of the game to load up. Everyone wants to add an entire Italian fleet...why? all that memory for ships just to look at and never fire at, things like that which are not needed in the game, or giving every ship model to all nations rosters when some nations are never at war or you'll never encounter. Just to free up memory for better ideal stuff to be added, also english voice language files when all we use is the german voice files, unnecessary flags and .tga files etc. etc. etc.

Admin for the Onealex Mod Discord - https://discord.gg/bKCdQekE4W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSpRvfqFYp0&t
kyle9154 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 09:26 AM   #3
Mister_M
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 26

Icon14

That's my wish too. I've already changed the roster and the DefSide.cfg, only keeping nations actively involved in the war. This requires to check the campaign files to remove all units from undesired nations.... The size of the campaign files are directly linked to the time of a patrol/mission loading.

It would be also a good idea to assign specific files to specific war theatres. For example, if you're playing patrols in the Atlantic, it's useless to have ships scripted in the Mediterranean, and vice-versa. There are perl scripts to adjust campaign files (made by LGN1 IIRC).

Also, the files in the Library and Textures folders should be kept at minimum size as possible.

For more memory space, it's also possible to totally disable the interior view (side effect : no more orders are heard).

In the end, the idea is to only keep the best for a stable and well made game, a kind of improved vanilla. Then, why not add mods to it, depending on your tastes and where you are playing (Mid-Atlantic, Arctic, Med) and when (Happy time, Drumbeat, 1943 new campaign... like the SH5 system), thanks to a modular mods system...
Mister_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 10:07 AM   #4
John Pancoast
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 488
Uploads: 4

More or less how my installs already are vs. solely one megamod or another, though I use parts of them.

Start from stock, and add what one desires. Some of my favorite campaigns are 8k, i.e. But full interiors, ships, subs, etc. are going to eat up memory.
I.e., I could care less how a sub looks from the outside view. I use DD's old interior mod mainly because it handles the helmsmen better. I could care less about walking the entire sub length. I don't care about harbors. Other similar choices.

In other words, one has to decide what is more important; stability, faster loading times, reliable saves, etc. or something else, whether that's graphics or whatever.

It can be very difficult to have both in the game.
Regarding the damage model, I'd be happy if someone could change it to get rid of that silly ability to know your flak gun, etc. is damaged when you're submerged. Chlorine gas when the batteries are damaged would be good too.

Last edited by John Pancoast; 11-17-21 at 10:33 AM.
John Pancoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 10:47 AM   #5
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

Write a program to scan all files and remove SHD_ stuff and DynamicShadows controllers and your a long way to slimming down the Game as far as total size.

That would also free up ID's which are a constant threat to Game stability.
One duplicate ID in the wrong place and POOF! CTD!

In a pretty much basic GWX 3 install you have 122,881 ID's.
GWR, not sure which version, has 168,561.
Onealex has 165,635.
Stock SH3 has 82,261.

You have a potential 2,147,483,647 ID's available based on a 32 bit ID.
The odds are slim you'd hit a used ID but it can and has happened MANY times!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 11-17-21 at 11:30 AM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 12:11 PM   #6
VonDos
Admiral

Downloads: 75
Uploads: 48

Hi!

As Jeff-Groves stated, ID are the large part of problem, if you want to optimize an SH3 installation. SHD parts are useless also, if you aren't interested in shadows.

Also, there are a lot of 3d parts who are repeated: sometimes, for example, you can have an ocean liner with 10+ identical lifeboats, and every lifeboats has an identical 3d model. 10 models and 10 id, who can be reduced to one.

Good luck for your mod (or mod idea).
Optimize, go radical, skin the beast.
I'll download and test your final version.

If she'll be ok, i'll install the italian entire fleet on top of it

(seriously, my favourite campaign is the mediterranean one, and the med camp without italian units it's so... meh...)

Best regards,
Vd

PS: "Everyone wants to add an entire Italian fleet [...] giving every ship model to all nations rosters when some nations are never at war or you'll never encounter." Well, maybe not everyone, but i'm glad someone like the italian units. Btw, i guess should be easier to meet a random ww2 italian torpedo boat \ corvette \ destroyer in the Med than an Iowa into the Atlantic Ocean..

Those, others and WIP ships are avaiable in my SHIPYARD here:
http://www.subsim.com/radioroom/showthread.php?t=136508
VonDos is online   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-21, 09:55 AM   #7
kapuhy
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 72
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle9154 View Post
Everyone wants to add an entire Italian fleet...why?
I guess the plan is more or less:

1) Add entire Italian fleet
2) Add playable British sub based in Malta
3) Profit!
kapuhy is offline   Reply With Quote