Old 03-27-10, 11:25 PM   #661
Captain von Keldunk
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 187
Uploads: 21
color blindness

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
As one who has only ever played submarine games but has two friends that have served on submarines I can say that dark red text on light gray background is impossible to read.
HeHe Thist explains why you have not served on subs, color blindness
There are many types of color blindness. The most common are red-green.
Old 03-28-10, 01:45 AM   #662
McHub532
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 104
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain von Keldunk View Post
HeHe Thist explains why you have not served on subs, color blindness
There are many types of color blindness. The most common are red-green.
I have a particular type of blindness. I have a hard time reading black letters on a black background. It all just looks black and I can't see the letters.

McHub532 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 05:39 AM   #663
Herr Commandant
Swabbie

Downloads: 542

Jeez, just think, you could sink both ships with just one well placed torpy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antar View Post
Collision detection mechanism was already bugged in SH4.
In this version of Silent Hunter nothing has changed, this same bug lives!

Herr Commandant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 05:31 PM   #664
rugby6
Watch

Downloads: 248
Default Game Crash to Desktop

I bought SH5 when it first came out and like everybody else was having problems loading the game from the server. I have another issue and I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing it and I hope someone can help me with it. This problem just started a couple of days ago with regularity. When I try to enter a keyboard command, specifically, periscope depth or surface, the game immediately closes and goes to the desktop. There are no error messages associated with the crash. It is happening every time that I play now. I am running the game at low settings. I have numerous mods running and I have been running them and experienced no major problems until now. The one that I think might be causing the problem is the Church's SHV keyboard commands Ver 1.1. The reason I'm saying this is when the mod is disabled the keyboard commands remain from the disabled mod and when I try to use them, crash to desktop. I've completely deleted SH5 and reinstalled it to include all Mods and I'm still having the problem. Did I miss something on the uninstall and reinstall or what could be the problem? Here are my system specs:

Dell Inspiron 530
Intel(R) Core(TM) 2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.4GHz
GE Force 9600 w/512MB of video memory
3.25 GB of RAM

I'm hoping someone can give me a hand with this. Let me know if you need any more information. Thanks.
3.2 Gig RAM
Galaxy GE Force 9600 w/512MB Video RAM
Windows XP, SP 3
rugby6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 06:22 PM   #665
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17

Since it's a keyboard mod, perhaps you have a version of commands.cfg file your "My Documents\SH5" directory, as well as the one in the game directory?

At least for ddrgn's keyboard mod, he advises the following:

Quote:
This mod will not work being applied during a campaign unless the commands.cfg file from this mod is copied to the SH5 folder in My Documents:

Add it here and you don't need to restart your campaign.

C:\Users\YOURPCNAME\Documents\SH5\data\cfg\command s.cfg
Might also explain why it persists after reinstalling the game, as the files in your "My Documents" directory probably weren't removed. (If it's not related to the commands.cfg file, it could easily be some other config file in there).

I don't actually have a commands.cfg file in that location, so you could just try deleting it if you have one.

If it doesn't work, how about if you go back to your last "in base" save game and start out on a fresh patrol?

Worth a try. Good luck
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-10, 08:31 PM   #666
rugby6
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turm View Post
Since it's a keyboard mod, perhaps you have a version of commands.cfg file your "My Documents\SH5" directory, as well as the one in the game directory?

At least for ddrgn's keyboard mod, he advises the following:

Might also explain why it persists after reinstalling the game, as the files in your "My Documents" directory probably weren't removed. (If it's not related to the commands.cfg file, it could easily be some other config file in there).

I don't actually have a commands.cfg file in that location, so you could just try deleting it if you have one.

If it doesn't work, how about if you go back to your last "in base" save game and start out on a fresh patrol?

Worth a try. Good luck
Thanks for the response. Let me get in there and check it out.........appreciate the help. I'll be back in here if it don't work.
3.2 Gig RAM
Windows XP, SP 3
Old 03-28-10, 10:13 PM   #667
rugby6
Watch

Default Crash to Desktop

I have tried everything. The game is still crashing to desktop with no error message on the periscope depth and surface commands. This happens with every keyboard mod that I have tried and the vanilla keyboard configuration. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game with the same results. I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be. I've ensured that the commands.cfg are in both the directories, i.e., the main directory and the my documents directory. I don't know what else to do........anybody have any ideas? I'd sure love to hear them. Thanks.
3.2 Gig RAM
Windows XP, SP 3
Old 03-29-10, 12:44 AM   #668
kylania
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugby6 View Post
I have tried everything. The game is still crashing to desktop with no error message on the periscope depth and surface commands. This happens with every keyboard mod that I have tried and the vanilla keyboard configuration. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game with the same results. I can't for the life of me figure out what it could be. I've ensured that the commands.cfg are in both the directories, i.e., the main directory and the my documents directory. I don't know what else to do........anybody have any ideas? I'd sure love to hear them. Thanks.
Is this with any save you load or always the same one? if you start a new career or mission does it do the same? I had one save where I kept tracking coming out of the attack scope. Scraped it and haven't crashed since.

kylania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 01:12 AM   #669
rugby6
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by kylania View Post
Is this with any save you load or always the same one? if you start a new career or mission does it do the same? I had one save where I kept tracking coming out of the attack scope. Scraped it and haven't crashed since.
I thought it was with one save........its not. It happens every time I try to use those two commands specifically. I've uninstalled and I will try another reinstall tomorrow. We'll see what happens.
3.2 Gig RAM
Windows XP, SP 3
Old 03-29-10, 02:05 AM   #670
Zedi
Sea Lord

Downloads: 184
Uploads: 2

I still can't believe I spent money on this so called game. Here is a german ship leaving Lorient and taking a shortcut through the city. Burning, crashing buildings, but keep going. Disturbing.
Zedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 09:45 AM   #671
Captain Wolfe
Watch

Downloads: 17

Greetings,

So I get my first mission in the Total Germany career.

Attack shipping in Eastern Coastal Waters.

Thats all fine and dandy, I get there. See a contact. Go through the manual TDC stuff...and sink my first ship – and the crowd goes wild.

I see on my map that I have a blue hydrophone line in the vicinity of the ship I just sunk. Wondering what a German surface ship is doing here when the Flotilla commander just said that they wanted to avoid contact with surface ships.

So I surface and return to plotted course to find another target. I walk around the ship, talking to the crew. And I get into the crew management page...decided to check it out. Then all of a sudden I start hearing ping pew pew ping clang, and get the message WERE UNDER ATTACK! I call for visual contact

Nothing, no planes, no ships nothing

I head to the bridge and have a look around outside...what do I see not more than 500m away off my port beam. A god damn Brit DD shooting me with its AAA guns....not the 5inchers but the tiny AAA guns. That hydrophone contact that was and still is (as I crash dove and am slinking away as we speak) is blue.......BLUE....WTF is going on.

The mods I have active don't effect anything related to why the Brits would blue and still shooting at me – here's a list:

Accurate German Flags
AilClouds 3.0
AilDeckwave 1.0
RealSizeMoon
AilSmoke 1.7
Church's SHV 1.01 Keyboard Commands v1.1
Detailed Caustics 1.0
No Damn Bubbles, No Damn Halo Mod
Radio Paris French Music Full Version 1.2
RemoveLogoIntroTheDarkWraith
Stormys DBSM SH5 v1.1

If anyone knows what is going on and how I can fix it (cause I refuse to play the game where none of the enemy ships show up as anything but blue – which means I get no warnings until I'm getting pounded).

Desperate need of non Blue on Blue hydrophone crap
Captain Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 10:26 AM   #672
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8

The blue sound contact you speak of was not a friendly, it was an enemy warship which subsequently attacked you after you surfaced.

Unlike in previous SH versions, enemy warships show as blue sound contacts, not red.
Nothing wrong there, you just made an assumption that it was friendly.
Old 03-29-10, 10:34 AM   #673
SabreHawk
Captain

Downloads: 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum View Post
I still can't believe I spent money on this so called game. Here is a german ship leaving Lorient and taking a shortcut through the city. Burning, crashing buildings, but keep going. Disturbing.
You were TC'ing in the harbor eh? What I have found is that TC'ing in the harbor can mess up the friendly AI's course keeping, and they can and will run into things including you.
Best to naviagte into and out of harbors in real time, which IMO is as it should be.
TC is designed for open water.
Old 03-29-10, 10:37 AM   #674
Ragtag
Seasoned Skipper

Downloads: 163

I had a similar experience outside Narvik in the narrow fjord. Large convoi and half the ships where on land or under land.
Palit RTX 2080Ti.
Fortron 1000W PSU.
BenQ XR3501R LCD.
Ragtag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-10, 10:37 AM   #675
robbo180265
Admiral

Downloads: 122

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreHawk View Post
You were TC'ing in the harbor eh? What I have found is that TC'ing in the harbor can mess up the friendly AI's course keeping, and they can and will run into things including you.
Best to naviagte into and out of harbors in real time, which IMO is as it should be.
TC is designed for open water.
Thats an interesting theory, gonna test that out next time I'm in port. I do get a lot of fun from "Benny Hill" bouncing off merchants and destroyers whilst on my way to/from port
robbo180265 is offline   Reply With Quote