SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 5
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-07-10, 10:12 AM   #406
Turm
Engineer

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0

I don't know if this is a repeatable bug, or whether it only affects the training mission - is it possible to dock manually in the sub pen?

At the end of the tutorial patrol, I started gently reversing my boat into the sub pen. However, as the boat was half inside and I passed through the entrance (I was on the bridge), I was magically teleported ashore and the dialogue with the captain began. Yet, I had no subtitles so I had no idea what he was saying. He started talking to an imaginary person (I later realised the officer was meant to walk over).

During this conversation, the boat came trundling by us, still at 'back slow', and crashed into the back wall of the sub pen!

Once the dialog had finished, I was able to walk around the sub pen, but still with the full user interface. Hilariously, I was able to order 'ahead slow' and watch the boat sail out of the pen - without me!!! (But no worries, I could also order it to reverse so it came back inside ). I have video evidence so could possibly post it.

I reloaded my previous autosave and just used the "Dock at: Kiel" button instead (I feel like a dirty cheat for using that), and all was normal this time - I got subtitles, the officer walked over, and the boat was already stationary inside the pen. However, I like to dock my own boat as I could in SH3.

Additionally, as distant ship contacts fade in/out on the map (as the crew gained or lost sight of them in the darkness), I found that if you mouse over the icon, the cursor's tooltip and the info box that appears in the bottom-right corner display a whole bunch of randomly cycling characters, changing many times a second - it creates a flickering effect of random letters & symbols. Game breaking: no, but very weird: yes!

Leaving Kiel on my first proper patrol, many ships are half buried in the ground, their masts just poking up through the soil. Already spotted by other users, but quite terrible. I know SH3 had this when entering port, as the ships drifted slowly from their starting points, but at least they didn't drift through the shoreline & dock walls in the first couple of minutes - they also reverse direction and come back out into the water sometimes! It would look better if they'd just become beached on the shore, but collisions must be turned off. Made it very tricky to pass through the canal - ships can just float out of the walls like ghosts. Doubt this can be fixed easily, though.
Turm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 10:30 AM   #407
Cap'n Blake
Watch

Downloads: 4

Couple of hopefully constructive suggestions:

-It's nice to be able to walk around the sub but it's getting frustrating quite fast: Why not make F4 automatically walk you to the Attack Periscope for example? Keep the animation, ditch the manual walking if player doesn't desire so.

-The GUI should include all proper commands (like Silent Running): Why can I give steering and depth commands from the bow deck on 30m/s raging storm but when I order Silent Running etc. commands I have to grab XO by the sleeve?

- Return dials and switches to torpedo firing solution! I don't want to fill in XO's hyperlinks to make my solutions.

- I can't command sonar man to follow nearest targets etc.

Sorry if there are issues mentioned already 100 times.

Overall SH 4 GUI is the pinnacle of the series, please transfer the best elements to SH5!
Cap'n Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 11:02 AM   #408
Seeadler
Pacific Aces Dev Team

Downloads: 169

New sub type - VII/cat

I went down from the tower to the control room and go up again on the tower and then what a surprise I had my new secret weapon of the Kriegsmarine
Seeadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 11:29 AM   #409
mattgn
Nub

Downloads: 18

So I've looked to see if anyone else has had this problem, but can't find anyone mentioning it, so here's a great one for you all.
This involves training up the full line of "Engine Tuning" which, at flank *ahem, sorry, extreme*, gives you a max speed of 20 knots. Great for me, as I'm doing a real time patrol, and the extra few knots even at ahead standard will get me there a bit quicker. Now submerge, then surface. WOOT, back to 15 knots at flank speed LMAO. This bug is repeatable, as in, I started a new campaign, jumped in the boat, trained the full line of engine tuning, took off out of the pen at warp, hit 20 knots, dived, surfaced, and yep, flank is back to 15 knots. Engine tuning resets to 0, but when you look on the crew page on the Motor Man there's your full line of engine tuning all filled in.
So what have we learned so far? That's a rhetorical question btw, no need for answers, we allready know what they'll be.
I had high hopes for SH5, silly silly boy.

Regards
Matt
mattgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 01:31 PM   #410
jhelix70
Sparky

Downloads: 8
Default Another amusing bug: ship pushed through jetty

This one happened when I decided to test the damage model by ramming a docked merchant ship with my sub. This is the SH equivalent of a magician walking though a "solid" wall. Note that my sub took no major damage through this process. Enjoy!

jhelix70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 01:32 PM   #411
Onkel Neal
Born to Run Silent

Downloads: 534
Uploads: 224

Yep, I see this a lot too. I will move this to the Bugs thread, ok?
Old 03-07-10, 01:43 PM   #412
Coup de grâce
Nub

Downloads: 0
Default Map bugs

Hi, sorry for this topic.
Moderators, please delete it...
Coup de grâce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 01:55 PM   #413
U-4053
Sparky

Downloads: 62
Default SH 5 Crashes after working flawlessly on day one

Howdy

Charlie here Elko NV. I purchased the game SH 5 on March 6 th . got it home and installed it, worked flawlessly even after installing the patch. Now today March 7th the game goes through all the motions like it's going to run then crashes to the desk top. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the game 3 times now. Any ideas what could be wrong. I have a custom built PC with intel i5 processor and 4 gig of fast ram. Running XP Pro . Doesn't make sense it would work one day and then crash the next , any ideas ?

Charlie
SPD Retired
silvrbak82@frontiernet.net
U-4053 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 01:57 PM   #414
jhelix70
Sparky

Downloads: 8

sounds good.
jhelix70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 02:54 PM   #415
Kuzz
Swabbie

Downloads: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reece View Post
70C is ridiculously high, I start to worry if my ATI HD4850 goes over 55C, my Son has the same card as mine & his computer locks if his card goes over 65C, he leaves his side cover off to play till he can afford a new case with good ventilation! BTW with side cover off he has no troubles at all and GPU stays below 60C, see if you can override your GPU fan and set to max, this may help.
Hey Reece and thank you for your answer. 70C for most ATI-cards is somewhat higher than what you would expect from a new card but still acceptable. This is data straight from many techforums. The Radeon 1950X should handle up to 95C without taking damage or shutting the computer off. However, it is interesting to hear that your son is having troubles with his card at temperatures around 65. Does anyone know, just out of my curiosity, what temp their video-card is reaching when they are playing SH5? All in all, I don't think the overtemp is causing the troubles with my\our SH5, since I logged the last session and the temperature was as low as 61C last time I crashed. Also, the temperature was decreasing at that time.

The more I read about this "15-minutes of gameplay\First ship spawn in tutorial-CTD" the more I seem to understand that this must be a ATI-compatibility issue within itself. Everyone who have reported it so far had an some brand of ATI-Videocards. A couple more other than me had the Radeon 1950X. But I'm out of good ideas short of a patch to fix this, really...

Off topic, my side cover is already off, and I'm running my fan at 100% via an external application . I've even glued another 4$ fan onto the card just go get it to cool better. This is the best I can do without getting a water-cooling solution!
Old 03-07-10, 03:49 PM   #416
Decoman
Frogman

Downloads: 24

Sound: If you stand next to the diesel engines, and close the door facing towards the command room, even when still being located in the engine room, the sound coming from the engines are lowered in volume, contrary to what would be realistic. The coding for the doors with sound seem to be too simple to work properly, with the game not being aware of where in the sub you are located.

Graphics: I found a file in the folders, seems to be a set of background images coloring the sky, however they are small and I wonder if these files are the cause of the night sky having banding issues. Normally I wouldn't pick on this, but I feel the banding is just a tad too much.

I noticed that if I tweak my monitor, turning on the "movie" mode which multiplies the Hue with 150% (stronger colors), the graphics look worse presicely where the upper part of the sky gradient of the sky meet the upper blue part of the sky. I play the game in sRGB mode and the other modes doesn't seem to offer any interesting changes.

Last edited by Decoman; 03-07-10 at 05:24 PM.
Decoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 04:12 PM   #417
Elder-Pirate
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoomer96 View Post
Seems to me that the picture actually has a flag pole mounted on the pier. Why would you want something in front of the net cutter for? Also seems to me that the net cutter would be weakened by running a jack staff through it. Or else the picture was edited during the war or something.

Better take another good look at the picture and if that is not good enough read the text below the picture.

Here I'll refresh your mind:

"A "jack" (Goesch or Gösch in German) is a small version of the national flag that is flown from a jackstaff on the bow of a war ship to indicate its nationality, while a military or war ensign is flown on the stern. A jack is below shown flying from the jackstaff on a new submarine just launched at the Krupp Germania Wharf Kiel, in the period ad at the left.

Do you still want to call the writer a liar??
Old 03-07-10, 04:21 PM   #418
PL_Andrev
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 91

PL_Andrev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 06:45 PM   #419
dsawan
Torpedoman

Downloads: 66

I notice the mouse lags a lot or is very slow in most of the game exscept ,the main screen. is thera fix and is that related to the video card?
dsawan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-10, 07:10 PM   #420
Daisai
Swabbie

Downloads: 19

Had a bug that my deck gun kept firing while being on periscope depth.
Daisai is offline   Reply With Quote