SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > Sub & Naval Discussions: World Naval News, Books, & Films
Forget password? Reset here

Old 09-25-08, 01:09 PM   #1
COWBOY10
Gunner

Downloads: 17
Uploads: 0
Default Baltimore maritime sub

Hi guys, I'm visiting Baltimore from the uk for the 1st time from the 5th oct. I've heard there's a sub you can visit in Baltimore. Has anyone got any ideas how much it is to visit, and the best day to go to avoid the crowds. While I'm here, a y other ideas what else I should visit while there.

Cheers

Cowboy10uk
COWBOY10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 02:17 PM   #2
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Check this site out:
http://www.submarinemuseums.org/

It will give information as well as a link to the subs web site with probably all the info you need.

The sub in Baltimore is the USS Torsk.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 02:18 PM   #3
sharkbit
The Old Man

Downloads: 334

Oh yeah...
While in Baltimore, make sure you try the crab cakes...the best in the world.
“Prejudice is blind. There will always be someone who says you aren’t welcome at the table. Stop apologizing for who you are and using all your energy trying to change their minds. Yes, you will lose friends, maybe even family. But you will gain your self-respect. You will know your worth. Once you have that, nothing can stop you.”
sharkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-08, 04:41 PM   #4
Bill Nichols
Master of Defense

Downloads: 125

USS Torsk is one of the exhibits of the Baltimore Maritime Museum, in the Inner Harbor:

http://www.baltomaritimemuseum.org/museums_usstorsk.php

Be sure to visit USS Constellation as well. It's also located in the Inner Harbor, just a stone's throw away from Torsk.

http://www.constellation.org/

Finally, may I recommend you see Fort McHenry. ( http://www.nps.gov/fomc and http://www.nps.gov/archive/fomc/home.htm ) It's famous here for inspiring the U.S. national anthem, during the 1812 war against England.

Old 09-26-08, 06:04 AM   #5
wireman
Sparky

Downloads: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkbit
Oh yeah...
While in Baltimore, make sure you try the crab cakes...the best in the world.
And a softshell crab sandwich- nothing like eatin something that's staring back at ya.
wireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 08:16 AM   #6
snakeyez
Last Man Down

Downloads: 6

A link to all the visitor information you need

The USS Torsk is a true gem. The Torsk Volunteer Association, Inc. takes good care of her. She is one of only two Tench class subs on display as a museum.

Read more about her via her HNSA webpage and her website.

I might caution you that the Torsk Volunteer Association, Inc. is planning their Fall Work Weekend for October 3 through October 5. I'm not sure if this will be a bad thing for you (some parts of the sub might be closed off for work) or a good thing for you (lots and lots of knowledgeable volunteers all over the place to give you a great tour).

I'm sure that if you contact any of these fine people with the TVA they'd be more than happy to make your day at the Torsk a great one!

SUBMARINEMUSEUMS.ORG - These are the submarines in your neighborhood! Get involved, they need you.
Doyle Blalock - the life of my WWII submarine veteran grandfather.
Drum228.org - devoted to the Gato-class museum sub USS Drum (SS-228) complete with war patrol reports, historical info, and restoration progress.
snakeyez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-08, 09:23 AM   #7
AVGWarhawk
Lucky Jack

Downloads: 90

The weekend of Oct 3-5 the Torsk is having the work weekend. The Torsk will be closed. However, you are in luck. I will be there all three days. Ask for Chris Gossweiler when you arrive. That is me and you can come aboard for the tour if you can make it on the 5th when you arrive. The boat opens at 1000 and is not busy at that time. You can buy a ticket to see all of the ships under the Baltimore Marine Museums. USS Taney, USS Constellation, Lighthouse Chesapeake and the USS Torsk. I believe it is $13.00 to see them all. Do not quote me on that as I have had to purchase tickets. Also, see the aquarium that sits right next to the Torsk. There are plenty of restaurants to eat. Go over to Fort McHenry. B&O train museum is nice as well.

PM me if you will be around on the weekends you are in Baltimore. I will see if we can meet and you can have the grand tour of the Torsk.

BTW, if someone is coming from the UK, far be it from me or anyone on the Torsk to bar entry because of a work weekend. However, we might hand you a rag and some polish.