SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-08-22, 11:37 AM   #4216
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Great explanation. Many thanks!

Fitzcarraldo
I have been attempting to come up with work-arounds to this issue, and the only one I can "see" to do is to just allow for every crew person in the boat to be stripped of all clothing upon coming top-side, and receiving new deck watch uniforms when top-side... If I can come up with the proper sequence for one, it should work for all... maybe. lol

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 01:08 PM   #4217
Niume
Sea Lord

Downloads: 499

Is it okay, If I add FOTRSU harder AI mod to my KSD Ace Edition 1.3 release? I will credit you.

GLORY TO UKRAINE!

[ENG] SH 4 KSD II Ace Edition
Niume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-22, 02:21 PM   #4218
FotRSU Mod Team
Team Leader

Downloads: 50
Uploads: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niume View Post
Is it okay, If I add FOTRSU harder AI mod to my KSD Ace Edition 1.3 release? I will credit you.
Happy new year Niume,

Permissions granted,
Good luck and fair winds.
Old 01-09-22, 01:10 PM   #4219
propbeanie

OK folks, the cause of the issue torpedobait found has been identified. We aren't going to do a patched release just yet, because the identified issue might just involve other locations that have not been found before, so a thorough search of the files for similar configs will be done. Needless to say, we discovered that the game handles white space in the text files differently in different sections of the game... "exact" spellings do not function as expected...

However, we do want anybody with other issues to please get with us ASAP. I am not certain if we are going to attempt fixing the Porpoise boat's issue with the cabling that Kal_Maximus_U669 found or not, because that poor boat has 3 additional uv maps associated with it, which really complicates edits on it. We'll see if vichers03 might be brave enough to attempt to at least do the cabling, but we do really want to remove the flagpole from the cigarette deck railing on the 3rd conn also... two files then, each with those extra uv maps... yeesh! Anyway, let us know of any issues you may have found please.

Old 01-09-22, 03:19 PM   #4220
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I am not certain if we are going to attempt fixing the Porpoise boat's issue with the cabling that Kal_Maximus_U669 found or not, because that poor boat has 3 additional uv maps associated with it, which really complicates edits on it.
The extra UV maps can be ignored.
Just import the adjusted model with the Main object and it's UV2
You shouldn't even need to change the UV2 as long as you don't add or remove anything.
If it makes you feel all warm and cushy? Just re-import the UV 3 and UV 4.
Not that they do a damned thing except add to file size.

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 01-09-22 at 04:17 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 04:31 PM   #4221
propbeanie

Copy that Jeff, thanks. When we did the Gato 04 tower and removed the flag pole from the railing, we had to re-do the UV2, not too much of an issue with it, since it was just a delete of the same parts, so easy enough to match, after a private consult with kapuhy that cost us ~huge~ (just kidding of course. we only had to give up the next three year's worth of first- and second-round draft picks). Just the flag pole, and it glitched the conn. With the Porpoise, that flag pole is part of the rear stanchion of the railing making it much more difficult to match, since it would be either a precise cut, or precise replacement. Not matching the UVs does result in shadow glitches, especially on the Porpoise. Beyond my skills currently. However, vickers03 has volunteered his services, and given time, will get to the issues eventually - lol -

Old 01-09-22, 04:44 PM   #4222
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

There are ways to fool S3D in some cases that avoids issues like that.

The current program I'm working on, Almagest, does just that!

Written mostly for SH5, I did Ghost files for S3D by hand and the same rules kind of apply.

What happens if you 'CUT' parts?
Well now you've upset vert counts and such and file sizes in those areas don't match and usually fail on import or you get bad JUJU!
I've solved that by Fooling S3D and TDW's program for SH5!

The main IDEA is this!
IF you know a files format? You can duplicate that format.
If you KNOW how any program does the Import to said format? You can step in and adjust things to take advantage!
Now say your import goes fine but you still have shadows that shouldn't be there. How do you ADAPT!
You EDIT the AO texture! You have no idea how many times I've done that just testing things.

Never mind the Man behind the curtain!

Last edited by Jeff-Groves; 01-09-22 at 05:11 PM.
Jeff-Groves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-22, 10:52 PM   #4223
propbeanie

Yes yes... following the Almagest thread with as rapt of attention as I can muster, good sir! Others should direct their browsers to Almagest. Strict Import for SH5 - start with the first post and read your way through. Along the way, imagine the possibilities and ramifications for SH4...

Old 01-11-22, 06:48 PM   #4224
propbeanie

Default FotRSUv17_Patches

Alright - step one in releasing a Patched version of the whole mod, is to be certain the patch actually works, therefore we give you

FotRSUv17_Patches.7z

This is a combination of what torpedobait tested with a Nippon Maru modded FotRSU game, and what Woozle tested, with a Fleetboat Interiors modded FotRSU, in addition to testing from propbeanie, s7rikeback and vickers03 for the same and various other parts, also included. Thanks to those two and to Mad Mardigan and Kyle_Maximus_U669 for finding these issues. Here is the ReadMe for the patch:
v17Patch_ReadMe.txt
===================

This is a "package" with two mods inside. Use one or the other, not both. The way to use these is to

1. Leave your base FotRSU mod in. If you have Nippon Maru and / or Nihon Kaigun it, leave those and the Combined Roster mod. Remove all other add-in mods

2. Extract this package to any folder of your choice, and copy the appropriate mod to your game's MODS folder. FotRSU with add-in mods would use the FotRSU17_Base_Patch, even if using Nihon Kaigun. Installs with Nippon Maru activated would use the FotRSU17_Nippon_Patch. After activating the appropriate Patch, you cannot change the mods that are above the Patch file, unless you de-activate the patch and then Nippon Maru and / or Nihon Kaigun, then apply the other Patch.

3. It is advisable to apply the new copies of the Add-in Mods out of the Extras folder for use with FotRSU. Several of those have changed also, and are included in each patch set.

Changes found in this Patch set:
--------------------------------
Common changes to both:
======================
Campaign Folder
---------
BattleofGuadalcanal, BattleOfMidway, BattleOfPhilippine, BattleOfPhilippineSea, BattleofTruk, Bungo_Pete, CoralSeaBattle, DeepBlueWolf, GeRaider all edited for tighter configuration and GameEntry date control. This does result in higher spawn rates for some of the files.

US_NavalBases.mis file NavalBase names edited to remove leading white space in their names. This was preventing the Albany base being used as a home port.

messages.txt edited for better language of base changes, with no specific bases named, unless spoken of in general terms. It behooves the player to pay attention to the slanted, fouled anchor that designates their Home Port, especially the submarines involved with the Asiatic Fleet locations early in the war.

PatrolObjectives
-----------------
BOM_01 folder and files added (copy of BOM01) to match the "call" in PatrolObjectives.cfg for the Nautilus

Insertion Corregidor Supplies edited for linear activity for read-ability

Patrol Java Sea 01 patrol area moved west and north to cover the strait involved in the Objective

SalmonNorth02 edited to "hide" the "Hidden Primary" Objectives that the player can see at the start of the mission. They now appear at appropriate times.

Sea
----
AI_Sen_Toku_Static sil file changed

NBB_Queen_Elisabeth #3 prop flipped 180 and re-oriented to "center"

NCVE_Long_Island smoke attached to stack

NPPQ_ "dead" #2 prop properly linked with sim file

Submarine
----------
NSS_Cachalot AO Mapping fixed, including cables

NSS_S18 water streams fixed

Textures
---------
TNormal and TLowRes files changed for NSS_Cachalot

UPCCampaignData
----------------
Flotillas.upc file edited for better dating of Java Sea assignments, in addition to altering the CaviteCommand Bases and Salmon assignments that were mis-numbered.

PatrolObjectives.cfg several files with further date restrictions and / or alteration

UPCUnitsData
-------------
Typos in UnitParts1Gato corrected, missing "hat" designations edited.

Typos in UnitParts9Argonaut corrected, missing "hat" designations edited.

Still to fix: Porpoise cabling

Additional Changes In the Nippon verion:
=======================================

Campaign folder
---------
Edits exclusive to naming conventions in Nippon Maru mod for Ship calls in the "Battle" files

Extras folders:
==============
Edits made to the following for FotRSU conformity:
304_NoJapaneseAirRadar, 802_TMO_torp_tex_FotRSU, 803_NoPlayerSubFlags, 805_CWC_FIOQ, 805_CWC_FotRSU, and 806_PeriscopeSplash. Note: CWC = Cold Weather Clothing, with the "FICQ" version for Fleetboat Interiors - Officer's Quarters, and "FotRSU" for FotRSU without the Interiors, whether Nippon Maru or Nihon Kaigun are activated or not.

All edits either propbeanie, s7rikeback or vickers03 (alphabetically)

-End-
If you have any issues or questions, just kindly holler and we'll attempt to accomodate.

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-11-22 at 07:10 PM. Reason: name please
Old 01-11-22, 07:21 PM   #4225
Laffertytig
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 110

Does this mod work with the steam version of the game? I've not played in years and fancy diving back in but i've lost my physical copy.
Laffertytig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 04:07 AM   #4226
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147

Guys, just before I download, will this patch break a campaign I've already started? Don't wanna lose all my tonnage over these changes? Thanks.

Been enjoying this mod so far ever since I got the game during Steam's recent winter sale.
goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 07:26 AM   #4227
goldmastersims
Bosun

Downloads: 147

There is also a bug I have found relating to using sonar.

After sinking an Otori-class patrol boat, pointing the hydrophone at the bearing of its wreck will cause the game to crash to desktop.

Here's a screenshot that shows sunken ship in question. This was right before I reproduced the bug.

It also happened on another occasion before this. I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the previous patches. So sorry if it's been found.

goldmastersims is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 07:56 AM   #4228
fitzcarraldo
Argentinian Skipper

Downloads: 3215

Thanks for the new update. Going for it

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo

My subject is War, and the pity of War. The Poetry is in the pity - Wilfred Owen.
fitzcarraldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-22, 08:57 AM   #4229
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldmastersims View Post
There is also a bug I have found relating to using sonar.

After sinking an Otori-class patrol boat, pointing the hydrophone at the bearing of its wreck will cause the game to crash to desktop.

Here's a screenshot that shows sunken ship in question. This was right before I reproduced the bug.

It also happened on another occasion before this. I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the previous patches. So sorry if it's been found.

[pic]...
I have never had or heard of that before, but to attempt to trace it down, we need the usual information. I can see on the NavMap that this ship was just east and north of 119-10 and 023-49, so we have the location of the incident. However, we need what submarine you were in, where you sailed from, and the date, at a minimum. It appears you were involved in a surface engagement with the Otori, putting your boat and crew in unnecessary danger, which is against Departmental regulations and guidelines, so you are to report to appropriate authority upon termination of patrol. Please clarify your attack... lol - In the meantime though, using JSGME, click on the "Tasks..." link, "Export activated mods list to -->" and "Clipboard", then paste that info into your next post so we can see the mod combination you have to attempt to recreate the incident.

Now had this happened prior to your applying the patch, or had you applied the patch? The patch would possibly interfere with a Salmon boat out of Cavite in 1941, but that should be about it. Stranger things happen with this game though... Let us know! Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
Thanks for the new update. Going for it

Best regards.

Fitzcarraldo
You are welcome, and any issues, please let us know! We'll be trying to do a combined mix later today. Thanks.

Old 01-12-22, 12:08 PM   #4230
propbeanie

I have been able to get a CTD while in a SingleMission with a Tambor dated March 1st, 1942 after sinking an Otari and then spinning the Sonar head. However, I did not have to spin to the Otari, which had not fully sunk yet, but instead got the CTD when the sonar head spun to the sub's screws... We'll have to dig deeper here. Be back in a while with more, but we do still want more details on what you have goldmastersims, please. Thanks