SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 01-04-22, 01:03 AM   #4186
Woozle
Swabbie

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0

I am unfortunately back here with another bug report. So with the help of propbeanie we've gotten the midway mission for Nautilus working, but another issue has cropped up. I've wound my way into the middle of the Japanese fleet, sighting in on Akagi and fired four torpedos set to go off just under her draft. As soon as one torpedo is about to impact and the little event camera for that appears, the game hard crashes to desktop. It seems the Mark 14 has developed yet another flaw.

At first I thought it was Vickers03s "Sea life" causing the issue as it was warned to cause CTDs but I cleaned out the save game folder and ran the whole campaign again to get into the same situation without that mod installed and still got a crash on torpedo impact. Heres the current mod list for your perusal.

Generic Mod Enabler - v2.6.0.157
[Z:\Games\Silent Hunter 4 Gold Edition\MODS]

100_FalloftheRisingSun_Ultimate_v1.7
FotRSUv17m_Patch
Fleetboat_Interior-Officers_Quarters_FOTRSU_v1.7_EN
CPT_ROOM_CUSTOM_NAME_PLATE
FOTRSU_1.7_SUB_SKINS_IN_4k
BOMmisPatch

I've tried various troubleshooting measures like loading into a campaign and firing at ships in port to see if that detonation causes a crash but it does not! I'm totally at a loss as to what's going on here.
Old 01-04-22, 07:53 AM   #4187
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Have you shot at the Akagi both times?

Edit: Here are a couple of pix from a test mission I just did:

so the torpedoes do blow up just fine, and no crash

and:

so the ship takes damage and sinks. So the boat, the torpedoes and the target are all fine. I'll dig through a few more things, and then try to match your mod load and try the run again in the Campaign. I also have to check the Sargo out of Cavite just yet...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 01-04-22 at 08:53 AM. Reason: color photography...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 12:06 PM   #4188
Kal_Maximus_U669
Sea Lord

Downloads: 816

Default enquet

Mr. Beanie hi
I just watched these famous antenna wire connection problems ...
I played the game without mod Sh4 gold 1.5 original
these problems are already existing from the beginning I find it surprising that no one has corrected after all this time ..
starting with 'Porpoise' this one has the same error that I quoted you
I had never tried this game without mod and I must say that some thing at the base was better graphically starting with certain model of ship ..
I'm going to install Peter's compilation which seems very sober to me
but this and another story ... i will look at the others and tell you ... see soon

Last edited by Kal_Maximus_U669; 01-04-22 at 12:44 PM.
Kal_Maximus_U669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 12:57 PM   #4189
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woozle View Post
I am unfortunately back here with another bug report. So with the help of propbeanie we've gotten the midway mission for Nautilus working, but another issue has cropped up. I've wound my way into the middle of the Japanese fleet, sighting in on Akagi and fired four torpedos set to go off just under her draft. As soon as one torpedo is about to impact and the little event camera for that appears, the game hard crashes to desktop. It seems the Mark 14 has developed yet another flaw.

At first I thought it was Vickers03s "Sea life" causing the issue as it was warned to cause CTDs but I cleaned out the save game folder and ran the whole campaign again to get into the same situation without that mod installed and still got a crash on torpedo impact. Heres the current mod list for your perusal.

FotRSUv17m_Patch
BOMmisPatch

I've tried various troubleshooting measures like loading into a campaign and firing at ships in port to see if that detonation causes a crash but it does not! I'm totally at a loss as to what's going on here.
jumping in here...

it has been my experience that when this phenomenon occurs, it is an SH4 memory usage issue.
reboot your PC and reload your game and it should be ok.

this type of CTD will also occur if you are watching the torpedo hit through one of your periscopes.
it just happened me while i was playing TMO_Bubblehead1980 and i fired Mark 18's at a merchie. i did almost exactly what you did except when the event camera popped, i went to the scope to watch and blam .... then CTD (another blam).
i rebooted and everything was copacetic.

based on general system design experience, i believe that SH4 runs out of memory from time-to-time and CTD's are the result. in these examples we've discussed, a torpedo hit generates a lot of graphical activity which requires memory and when SH4 attempts to display the explosion and its results/aftermath, it tries to allocate additional memory and if there is not enough, then CTD-land.

it has been said before by others and bears repeating: SH4 was designed with a 4 meg usable memory limit for a Windows operating system back in 2006-2007. through modding the conditions of the game (graphics, additional RGG's, equipment enhancements, etc), we have placed additional burdens on SH4 and, of course, its memory handling. occasionally, we reach a point where SH4 cannot execute something that we think is perfectly normal.

try rebooting. hopefully, you have a savepoint such that you do not have to repeat the entire mission.
good luck, Herr Kaleun!

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 04:12 PM   #4190
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kal_Maximus_U669 View Post
Mr. Beanie hi
I just watched these famous antenna wire connection problems ...
I played the game without mod Sh4 gold 1.5 original
these problems are already existing from the beginning I find it surprising that no one has corrected after all this time ..
starting with 'Porpoise' this one has the same error that I quoted you
I had never tried this game without mod and I must say that some thing at the base was better graphically starting with certain model of ship ..
I'm going to install Peter's compilation which seems very sober to me
but this and another story ... i will look at the others and tell you ... see soon
Amazing, isn't it? The game has been out since 2007, and you found the issue... lol - I still cannot decide, if just one cable is missing, or if they put the cable in an incorrect position... As an aside, you will most likely enjoy Peter's mix of Webster's mod. Easy to set-up and easy to use. Just don't use the "improved" torpedoes if you go to drive an S-Boat. It will crash the game when a Mark 10 goes to detonate. Other than that, good stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Quote:

FotRSUv17m_Patch
BOMmisPatch

jumping in here...

it has been my experience that when this phenomenon occurs, it is an SH4 memory usage issue.
reboot your PC and reload your game and it should be ok.

this type of CTD will also occur if you are watching the torpedo hit through one of your periscopes.
it just happened me while i was playing TMO_Bubblehead1980 and i fired Mark 18's at a merchie. i did almost exactly what you did except when the event camera popped, i went to the scope to watch and blam .... then CTD (another blam).
i rebooted and everything was copacetic.

based on general system design experience, i believe that SH4 runs out of memory from time-to-time and CTD's are the result. in these examples we've discussed, a torpedo hit generates a lot of graphical activity which requires memory and when SH4 attempts to display the explosion and its results/aftermath, it tries to allocate additional memory and if there is not enough, then CTD-land.

it has been said before by others and bears repeating: SH4 was designed with a 4 meg usable memory limit for a Windows operating system back in 2006-2007. through modding the conditions of the game (graphics, additional RGG's, equipment enhancements, etc), we have placed additional burdens on SH4 and, of course, its memory handling. occasionally, we reach a point where SH4 cannot execute something that we think is perfectly normal.

try rebooting. hopefully, you have a savepoint such that you do not have to repeat the entire mission.
good luck, Herr Kaleun!

Interesting... I had not considered a few aspects of the game. I have had that happen, but only when I try to do something else in the game first, such as when testing, trying to do too many career starts from one game start, or forgetting what I was doing in one "mode" of the game, and opening another without re-starting. You definitely cannot go from the Museum to a career, or a career to a Single Mission, etc., as well as I mentioned, doing too many of any of the above on one SH4.exe run... Woozle, can you comment please?

Can you also let us know your computer specs please (cpu, RAM, Hard Drives & remaining capacity and vid card), in addition, please double-check the SH4.exe Attributes, and make certain it is write-enabled and either LAA or the 4Gig Patch are definitely activated. I'm coming back in to Darwin doing a test for torpedobaits set-up, and should know in a few hours the status of what he encountered. Then we'll be taking a Pacific tour via Treasure Island and Midway!

Old 01-04-22, 04:29 PM   #4191
Woozle
Swabbie

I went to bed right after writing out that bug report, I'm afraid I'm not as experienced at writing bug reports as I am at generating bugs!
I have a save right before I fire torpedoes at the Akagi and ran through it atleast ten times each resulting in a crash last night. I also had this issue also firing one torpedo at a Yuugumo class destroyer, but it seems like this bug only shows up in the general area around Midway June 4th because I've run various test missions and haven't been able to reproduce it except while attacking Nagumo's fleet in the vicinity of Midway.

I can't believe the Museum is at fault here because I only ran that several days ago to eyeball the new Narwhal model. I have sixteen GB of ram, a Nvidia 1060 4gb, and I'm running the game out of my second hard drive which is a Samsung "hybrid" SSD, I have around 67 gigabytes left on it out of a 1 TB capacity. As far as I can tell SH4.exe is NOT in read only and has the large address aware flag on it. I think my install might just be cursed, going to try a reinstall and only use the bare minimum of mods. c

Last edited by Woozle; 01-04-22 at 04:46 PM. Reason: clarification
Woozle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-22, 04:52 PM   #4192
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

A thought that occurred to Me, that there is a very... very slim to none chance.. that LAA, if that is being used by woozle... of it losing its laser guided focus of where the .exe is located & thusly... of its guiding principle of clarity to Window's, of the fact that it is to be assigned the necessary, 4GB access pass.

Rare, but... it can & does occur.

Not sure if with the use of the 4GB patch, if that occurs... never having used said patch.

There is, in LAA, the ability to lock step the .exe into "brute force", using the lock in to, that SH4.exe's (or any other, for that matter, .exe of any other game.) being, for all intents & purposes of assignment of 4GB access. Not that means it will use all 4, just that it has the admin privilege to it. As is My understanding of that.

Is but a simple matter, to rerun LAA, & after pointing it or making sure that LAA is laser pointed at the .exe in question... to edit the link up to change the whole thing to a "forced" state.

Hope (as always) that this info is helpful.

M. M.
Old 01-04-22, 06:25 PM   #4193
propbeanie

Quote:
I went to bed right after writing out that bug report, I'm afraid I'm not as experienced at writing bug reports as I am at generating bugs!
I have a save right before I fire torpedoes at the Akagi and ran through it atleast ten times each resulting in a crash last night. I also had this issue also firing one torpedo at a Yuugumo class destroyer, but it seems like this bug only shows up in the general area around Midway June 4th because I've run various test missions and haven't been able to reproduce it except while attacking Nagumo's fleet in the vicinity of Midway.

I can't believe the Museum is at fault here because I only ran that several days ago to eyeball the new Narwhal model. I have sixteen GB of ram, a Nvidia 1060 4gb, and I'm running the game out of my second hard drive which is a Samsung "hybrid" SSD, I have around 67 gigabytes left on it out of a 1 TB capacity. As far as I can tell SH4.exe is NOT in read only and has the large address aware flag on it. I think my install might just be cursed, going to try a reinstall and only use the bare minimum of mods. c
Def check the LAA versus SH4.exe, as MM points out. I have found an issue at Darwin for the early boats, with transposed numbers, of which torpedobait apparently hit one of those. I am almost finished checking his trouble, and will look into the actual make-up of the Strike Force off Midway. One ship, not directly related to the ship that seeminly CTDs the game, can indeed, cause that. But were both the CV Akagi and the DD Yugumo in the same task force? Thanks.

Old 01-04-22, 06:50 PM   #4194
Woozle
Swabbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Def check the LAA versus SH4.exe, as MM points out. I have found an issue at Darwin for the early boats, with transposed numbers, of which torpedobait apparently hit one of those. I am almost finished checking his trouble, and will look into the actual make-up of the Strike Force off Midway. One ship, not directly related to the ship that seeminly CTDs the game, can indeed, cause that. But were both the CV Akagi and the DD Yugumo in the same task force? Thanks.
The "task force" icon wasn't popping up on my map, probably because I hadn't spotted all the ships so there really isn't any way to tell. The Yuugumo showed up shortly before the rest of the task force so I'd assume it was the outer picket of the task force.
Old 01-04-22, 10:24 PM   #4195
propbeanie

OK, thanks. I am going to dig into the files further before starting a test career in your footsteps, but I do hope to get back to you before midnight...

Old 01-05-22, 01:38 PM   #4196
propbeanie

@ torpedobait, I am still working on it for yours. I have found some typos that ~might~ be contributing, but I do not know. I still have to test some edits and see if we can get you going from where you are.

@ Woozle, I struck out last night, missing the Strike Force three out of three tries. Today, I have found them 2 out of 2 times. The first try, I got to the Kongo, and shot at it, but apparently missed... So I turned off the duds - sigh. Do all that work to get into there and forgot that... Second time, I got my boat between the columns, shot at the Kongo from the 2 rear tubes first, on slow speed, then waited until they were a minute away, then shot at the Akagi now passing in front of my bow and 1250 yards, 25 foot depth, magnetic pistol, all four bow tubes, all torps away, down scope, Ahead Flank, head for 300 foot (thermal at 240), and the sound went away, the screen froze, then the spinning ball thing from Windows, and then the desktop... I do not see why... I might try a different boat and go get them, because I do not see anything in the BOM mis file, nor the assignment file... I thought maybe a duplicate or something, but no... more digging is required, and I'll try to get back to this in a few hours.

Old 01-06-22, 04:10 PM   #4197
propbeanie

@ Woozle - I have it apparently down to the mission, but I am not understanding the "why" of it. I will send you a mis file for you to add to your game, then re-start the patrol from Midway and see what it does. I just took my "fix" out, and it crashed again, so now another test to prove it is "fixed", and we'll PM you again.

@ torpedobait - I have to test a fix for yours yet, and I am not certain if it will work from the middle of a career yet or not...

Old 01-06-22, 07:52 PM   #4198
Zero Niner
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 69

Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but why are hospital ships classed as warships in 1.7? I didn't encounter any in 1.46, but in my first patrol in 1.7 I've encountered 2 small convoys with a hospital ship each. These were in the waters off Kyushu, Feb 1943.
Zero Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 08:23 PM   #4199
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 436
Uploads: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
Not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but why are hospital ships classed as warships in 1.7? I didn't encounter any in 1.46, but in my first patrol in 1.7 I've encountered 2 small convoys with a hospital ship each. These were in the waters off Kyushu, Feb 1943.
are you sure about the warships' classification? FOTRSU used to have those classed as neutrals.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-22, 08:29 PM   #4200
propbeanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero Niner View Post
are you sure about the warships' classification? FOTRSU used to have those classed as neutrals.
Well, they have been "Type13=Auxiliary Ship" for as long as I can remember, and that shows as a warship. Note however, they are listed as a "Neutral" usually, even if they are operated by a belligerent. Other Auxiliary vessels are far from Neutral.