SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-18-22, 07:58 AM   #1
Kapitän
The Old Man

Downloads: 29
Uploads: 0
Default SH4 Graphics on KSDII-Ace

Hi All,

About the Graphics: I have the graphic card in my signature. Are there any best-practice graphic card settings which could be applied, i.e. is there a setting in the game options, with which one can get rid of the jagged edges?

Thanks!
Old 05-18-22, 09:38 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Front Runner posted this a while back:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...90#post2715190

I don't know how deep you want to go into that rabbit hole... lol - but Fifi also has a Profile
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...78#post2645978

...as do others, to use with the nVidia Profile Inspector (NOT an nVidia program). As nice as SH4 graphics are compared to SH3, there is not much anti-aliasing available, and you will still have visible stair-stepping, but you can improve the display between nVidia setting, and the game settings, from the Options menu, Graphic Settings choice, of which there are several selections there. One thing about SH4 that is very irritating is that you can get a beautiful display, but then the "sun", or any other bright light will often shine through things, like the conning tower, or the ocean surface when near the horizon. Very frustrating for them to have the graphics so close, yet not quite there...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna

Last edited by propbeanie; 05-18-22 at 01:24 PM. Reason: MM found a Loonie Tunes link, instead of an intended target...
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-22, 06:28 AM   #3
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Front Runner posted this a while back:
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...90#post2715190

I don't know how deep you want to go into that rabbit hole... lol - but Fifi also has a Profile
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...78#post2645978

...as do others, to use with the nVidia Profile Inspector (NOT an nVidia program). As nice as SH4 graphics are compared to SH3, there is not much anti-aliasing available, and you will still have visible stair-stepping, but you can improve the display between nVidia setting, and the game settings, from the Options menu, Graphic Settings choice, of which there are several selections there. One thing about SH4 that is very irritating is that you can get a beautiful display, but then the "sun", or any other bright light will often shine through things, like the conning tower, or the ocean surface when near the horizon. Very frustrating for them to have the graphics so close, yet not quite there...

Okay, thanks! I will give those a try.

I was also wondering, if there are certain options in the KSDII-Ace Graphics Options, that one should or should not apply ...

FYI: My Windows/Monitor graphic settings are 1280 x 1024, 60Hz.
Old 05-19-22, 01:17 PM   #4
propbeanie

That is what my old 5:4 Viewsonic LCD displays used. That does put the gauges right in your way. Someone has a mod for smaller gauges, but I am not certain if it would function in KSDII, since you are messing with the menu_1024_768.ini file, which is a minefield of troubles awaiting anyone who dares change the file... - this might a good time to appeal to the boss and pocketbook to requisition necessary funds for a 1920x1080 ws monitor... but "money" is a definite issue here...

Old 05-19-22, 03:09 PM   #5
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
That is what my old 5:4 Viewsonic LCD displays used. That does put the gauges right in your way. Someone has a mod for smaller gauges, but I am not certain if it would function in KSDII, since you are messing with the menu_1024_768.ini file, which is a minefield of troubles awaiting anyone who dares change the file... - this might a good time to appeal to the boss and pocketbook to requisition necessary funds for a 1920x1080 ws monitor... but "money" is a definite issue here...
Okay, so KSDII was made for wide screen monitors?

That's the one thing, I always wanted to stay away from for as long as possible. So, does KSDII then actually work with wide screen monitors, or does it also require some kind of special adjustments to make it work?
Old 05-19-22, 04:45 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Okay, so KSDII was made for wide screen monitors?

That's the one thing, I always wanted to stay away from for as long as possible. So, does KSDII then actually work with wide screen monitors, or does it also require some kind of special adjustments to make it work?
Nooo... not particularly.

It helps... certainly... if you have a wide screen monitor... (or like Me, a Emerson 50" flat (wide) screen TV... with capability, to have inputs for say... it being used as a computer monitor... Got touched by having the means to grab it, when I did... on sale & had the $$$ to grab it when I did ) but...

definitely not necessary, to play KSD II: Ace, though.

Is just a matter of going into the options menu in the main menu... opening up the graphics section there... & selecting your native screen rez... click on accepting that change & done.

As propbeanie said before...

If you have a... s. o. (significant other) then conversing with them, about looking at upgrading to a better monitor, might be something good to see about doing.

Just something to consider, in the meantime...

M. M.
Old 05-20-22, 06:17 AM   #7
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Nooo... not particularly.

It helps... certainly... if you have a wide screen monitor... (or like Me, a Emerson 50" flat (wide) screen TV... with capability, to have inputs for say... it being used as a computer monitor... Got touched by having the means to grab it, when I did... on sale & had the $$$ to grab it when I did ) but...

definitely not necessary, to play KSD II: Ace, though.

Is just a matter of going into the options menu in the main menu... opening up the graphics section there... & selecting your native screen rez... click on accepting that change & done.

As propbeanie said before...

If you have a... s. o. (significant other) then conversing with them, about looking at upgrading to a better monitor, might be something good to see about doing.

Just something to consider, in the meantime...

M. M.

Thanks to you both!

Yes, I actually do have a 1920x1080 (21.5'') 16:9 (1.77) monitor.

Hooked it up and adjusted the Graphic Settings of the game, also, ticked the Vertical Sync box => works like a charm.

The screen size is a bit small for my taste and has a little pink dot right in the center of it (probably, a small glitch in the TFT) but other than that, looks fine. Also, the gauges are in the correct place now.

Still have some visible stair-stepping but will deal with that over time.

Thanks again!
Old 05-20-22, 02:46 PM   #8
propbeanie

You'll not eliminate the AA stair-stepping from the SH4 game, only minimize it. That Fifi link in the graphics thread is about the best anti-aliazing solution, but it is only a 4x platform, so it is still rather pronounced, no matter what you do. Some fellows use auxilary graphics apps that ride between the game and the display, and they can help even more, but most of those just bump-up the color depth, like an old movie film. I have a 27" 1920x1080 display, and for my eyes, is a really nice happy medium for these older eyes...

Old 05-20-22, 03:12 PM   #9
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
You'll not eliminate the AA stair-stepping from the SH4 game, only minimize it. That Fifi link in the graphics thread is about the best anti-aliazing solution, but it is only a 4x platform, so it is still rather pronounced, no matter what you do. Some fellows use auxilary graphics apps that ride between the game and the display, and they can help even more, but most of those just bump-up the color depth, like an old movie film. I have a 27" 1920x1080 display, and for my eyes, is a really nice happy medium for these older eyes...

Thanks! Yes, it seems fine to me for now ... will leave it alone most likely.
Old 06-20-22, 10:08 AM   #10
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kapitän View Post
Thanks! Yes, it seems fine to me for now ... will leave it alone most likely.

Okay, I applied the same graphic card settings that I use for Sh3 ... looks much better, also, almost no more AA-stair-stepping ... let's see how it will work from here on out ...
Old 07-06-22, 08:07 AM   #11
Kapitän
The Old Man

Default Bridge Crew

Hi All,

Found another couple of interesting points:

I seem to notice that with increasing wind speed as of 5 or 6 m/s, the bridge crew become somewhat transparent, i.e., one can see the horizon line going right through them.

Is that "normal" Sh4/KSDII graphic behaivour?

Also, just a question: Does the bridge crew "put on the rain coat" as of a certain wind speed/rain/cold weather?

Many thanks!
Old 07-06-22, 08:35 AM   #12
propbeanie

If you have the Environmental box ticked in the Options, Graphic Settings, your crew will become ghost figures in SH4, and the worse the weather gets, the worse it looks. I do not know the mod well enough to comment on it specifically, but that is a "feature" of SH4... The deck crew will not put on their slickers until they are about to be carried away by the seas, which is also another "feature" of the game... If it is just a "normal" rain or medium winds and rain, they usually do not don proper gear. Only in gale force winds and heavy rain do they seem to worry about staying dry... They will never don cold weather clothing, even inside the Arctic circle when chasing a Russia-bound convoy on the surface... in fact, you might see "Mr Muscles" topside with no shirt at all, or maybe his athletic shirt. At least he put britches and shoes on...

Old 07-13-22, 07:06 AM   #13
Kapitän
The Old Man

Quote:
If you have the Environmental box ticked in the Options, Graphic Settings, your crew will become ghost figures in SH4, and the worse the weather gets, the worse it looks. I do not know the mod well enough to comment on it specifically, but that is a "feature" of SH4... The deck crew will not put on their slickers until they are about to be carried away by the seas, which is also another "feature" of the game... If it is just a "normal" rain or medium winds and rain, they usually do not don proper gear. Only in gale force winds and heavy rain do they seem to worry about staying dry... They will never don cold weather clothing, even inside the Arctic circle when chasing a Russia-bound convoy on the surface... in fact, you might see "Mr Muscles" topside with no shirt at all, or maybe his athletic shirt. At least he put britches and shoes on...

Yes, unticked the box and it's fine now. Thanks!