SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-22-22, 09:55 PM   #241
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491
Uploads: 0

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
After doing some research and looking at the dates I see that the last computer I had this on was on Windows 7.
Bought the game in March of 2019 but didn't get this computer with Window 10 until later and never loaded it up on the new computer because I went out of town for 18 months.
Should I do a test it's asking by selecting Windows 7 as the last system it was run on?
Can't hurt...

Test it & see if it'll allow the game to run, if nothing else... can scratch it off the list as... tried.

M. M.
Old 05-22-22, 10:19 PM   #242
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Can't hurt...

Test it & see if it'll allow the game to run, if nothing else... can scratch it off the list as... tried.

M. M.
Well I can take compatibility mode off the list.
Went thru every possible scenario and kept getting the black screen and had to reboot every time.

Just can't help but feel I'm having an issue with the install process, otherwise I would have the game listed with shortcuts on the menu bar.
It's not even asking for an activation code when installing.

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME

Last edited by hunter301; 05-22-22 at 10:28 PM.
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-22, 12:01 AM   #243
hunter301
Sonar Guy

FINALLY GOT IT WORKING....PARTIALLY!
Found this Youtube link for modifing .cfg files to all No in video settings so I did this for both .cfg files.
Now the game starts and I everything works fine the only problem is it's in a small windows screen that doesn't fill the monitor.

-ME
Old 05-23-22, 12:47 AM   #244
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Weird.
No matter what I do I can get it out of the smaller 1024x768 windows mode.
Even says it in a white bar at the top of the screen but screen doesn't fit the rest of the monitor that is running at 1900x600:60

-ME
Old 05-29-22, 04:21 PM   #245
hunter301
Sonar Guy

YES!!!
One more step closer to home.
Found out what the resolution issue was, for me at least. I finally am able to play the game without a window in window mode.
Seems I was having Direct X conflicts between files and newer systems not loading up the correct .dll files it needed. Just copied (2) .dll files from one SH4 folder with the SystemWOW64 file and dropped them in the main SH4 file and I'm good.
See attached attached article link for instructions.

https://steamcommunity.com/app/15200...2929522056541/

-ME
Old 05-31-22, 03:18 PM   #246
Brightstar6
Watch

Downloads: 29
Default JSGME

I FINALLY have the sim working again, but in premod mode only seems i am having problems with the JSGME.. I install get the mod folder in silent hunter and when i send a mod to the folder it does not show in the mod folder..
Update!! I have figured it out!! Put SH4 in a file not run by c:program.. I put mine in the g: drive, now run jsgme and put it in G/sh4, next move your mods to G/silent hunter4/mods..Your jsgme should work now and using the desktop jsgme short cut enable your mods.. It took m about 4 months to figure this out..I am now hunting Japanese!!!

Last edited by Brightstar6; 05-31-22 at 11:39 PM.
Brightstar6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 07:13 AM   #247
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258
Default win 11

now on win 11 and everything seemed good until yesterday. The graphic content is not quite right. Not sure how to describe it. the edges of the items seems blotchy, broken. I may uninstall it and try again. Also, still, problems with JSGME - I cant load mods
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 03:34 PM   #248
Fuerte14
Nub

Downloads: 28

Has any of you had the issue that I have? Just installed SH4 1.05, trying to change settings in game or begin a career/mission/whatever - game freezes with the mouse cursor on button. And only can be recovered via Task Manager.

Copying dlls from SysWOW64 folder doesnt help, as well as changing settings in Main.cfg. Need help
Fuerte14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 03:49 PM   #249
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If that is a bare-bones stock game doing that, it sounds like you have a disk version, and neglected to install the DirectX v9.0c and Codecs -OR- you need to change the SH4.exe "Properties" settings (maybe both DirectX and Properties??) by navigating into the game folder, find the SH4.exe file, right-click on it, and then left-click on the "Properties" entry at the bottom of the context menu. That will open the "Properties" settings window, of course, and you will have to experiment with the settings there, as found in this Win10 screen grab:

from a couple of pages before this.

A couple of notes: First, if you plan on modding the game, do not install it in the default location, which would be a "Program Files" folder. You want to make your own install folder, and put it in there instead. That way, Windows (usually) will not interfere with any mods that you add to the game. Secondly, anytime you make changes to the mod configuration, you usually will have to empty the Save folder, which under normal circumstances is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", unless you have used MultiSH4 and changed it. As for the DirectX files, you do need to install DirectX v9 files, since those files are missing in all the versions since. Nothing is overwritten by them, they just add to the dll collection. If you use a Steam or Ubisoft download, those usually automatically install those files. Once in the game, you want to match the Graphic Settings to what the "(recommended)" setting in Windows is, since that is your display's "Native" resolution...

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-22, 03:59 PM   #250
Red Devil
The Old Man

Downloads: 258

well in Prop - dont know how many times I've been in those folders - AGH!!!
>
Darkness is only the absence of Light; Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge ©

www.worldwartwo.uk
www.captainwalker.uk
Red Devil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-22, 11:39 AM   #251
Fuerte14
Nub

Downloads: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
A couple of notes: First, if you plan on modding the game, do not install it in the default location, which would be a "Program Files" folder. You want to make your own install folder, and put it in there instead. That way, Windows (usually) will not interfere with any mods that you add to the game. Secondly, anytime you make changes to the mod configuration, you usually will have to empty the Save folder, which under normal circumstances is "C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4", unless you have used MultiSH4 and changed it. As for the DirectX files, you do need to install DirectX v9 files, since those files are missing in all the versions since. Nothing is overwritten by them, they just add to the dll collection. If you use a Steam or Ubisoft download, those usually automatically install those files. Once in the game, you want to match the Graphic Settings to what the "(recommended)" setting in Windows is, since that is your display's "Native" resolution...
I have both Steam and disc version to install from. I also have read through some FAQs after the first fault so what I've tried already are:

1) Install folder is apart from default suggestion, even named with no spaces, like Drive:/SilentHunter4
2) High DPI Override engaged
3) No additional items were skipped during the install (though only disc version offers them, Steam doesnt)
4) Installed DX9 from a separate offline installer after the game is installed
5) Copy/paste dx9 dlls from the SysWOW64 folder as mentioned above
6) Run .exe in Vista SP2 or Win7 compatibility mode
7) Even tried to LAA patch executable, though I have 32Gb RAM onboard under the Win10 x64

both versions - same result. Game freezes when I try to start campaign or go to the any settings
Fuerte14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 02:11 PM   #252
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Did you tick the "Disable fullscreen optimizations" or "Run this program as an administrator"? Is the DPI settings set to "Application"?

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-22, 03:28 PM   #253
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuerte14 View Post
I have both Steam and disc version to install from. I also have read through some FAQs after the first fault so what I've tried already are:

1) Install folder is apart from default suggestion, even named with no spaces, like Drive:/SilentHunter4
2) High DPI Override engaged
3) No additional items were skipped during the install (though only disc version offers them, Steam doesnt)
4) Installed DX9 from a separate offline installer after the game is installed
5) Copy/paste dx9 dlls from the SysWOW64 folder as mentioned above
6) Run .exe in Vista SP2 or Win7 compatibility mode
7) Even tried to LAA patch executable, though I have 32Gb RAM onboard under the Win10 x64

both versions - same result. Game freezes when I try to start campaign or go to the any settings
What kind of problem are you having?
Did you purchase both versions of SH4 on Steam? You'll need the U-boat missions for FORTSU to work.
With me the problem was I couldn't get the game to play on full screen no matter what I did. Kept going back and forth with both program and game file config.sys files for the full screen application but nothing ever happened.
As soon as I checked the full screen option in the games game options file it would show my both preview screens and go to a black screen and lock up.
Had to CTL-ALT-DELETE so many times and reboot the system

Every step your talking about I had to do as well.
I have the older disc original version and an Amazon download I purchased back in 2014. Couldn't get either version to work.
That same weekend Steam was running a special. I was able to buy both the original and the U-boat add on for $10.00 so I bought it and downloaded it thru steam.
I did all of the steps you did above. What ended up clearing up all my problems for the original Steam game was when I found the article about copying the directX .dll files from one folder to the other so they synced. This is needed for running the game on Win10.
After that the original game ran fine. Was almost afraid to pull the trigger and install the FOTRS mod but really, really wanted so I set myself to getting it done. Everybody has all these complicated instructions and says you have to move the game folder out of the Steam folder on your computer but I left it there just to see. And everything worked fine. The only thing I had to do was install the LAA patch for running the larger files that FOTRS deals with.
Since then I haven't had a problem.
Remember to download a clean version of both games from Steam. The original and U-boat add on.
Then depending on what problems you're having do the .dll file copy so the same files appear on both folders.
Once I did that the original game ran fine.
Now... "DO NOT PLAY THE ORIGINAL GAME AND SAVE ANYTHING!" If you play it, play it but down save the games or missions.
Download and install the JSGME mod app so it creates your MOD folder. After that download the FOTRSU mod into the MOD folder and the LAA app and once you activate LAA you should be good. At least it was for me.
Everybody seems to have the same problems only just slightly different.
Good Luck.

-ME

Last edited by hunter301; 08-03-22 at 03:43 PM.
Old 10-09-22, 04:23 PM   #254
TopcatWA
Navy Dude

Downloads: 36

I have been running SH4 on WinXP,Win7,Win8.1 & Win10 64Bit without any problems.
It used to run in a "Window Screen' & for those who want to run on the 'Full Screen' all you need to do is change some of the game ConFig (Cfg) files.
In the SH4 program files go to:
'Data/Cfg/Main & open it using notepad.
Scroll down to 'Video' & change the following settings to:
Resolution=1920,1080,60,22
DynamicShadows=No
FullScreen=Yes
Synchronized=No
TextureResolutionHigh=No
Now save the file.
Depending what video card you have I have set mine the max allowed which is 1920x1080.
Now go to the 'Documents' folder in 'File Explorer' select SH4/data/cfg/main
& change the video settings to those you have in the game program & save.
You now should be able to run the game in full screen mode.
Don't forget to change the video DPI settings to the max while in the game "Options'

Cheers
Topcatwa.
03.Sobers_Better_Rocks & Sand
04.Small_Nav_Tools_w_Chrono
05.Brit_MkVIII_US_Mk28_Torps
06.ROW Sound effects.v.9/Enviromental 5.0
O/S Win10 Pro 64-Bit/Intel 64xQuad Core
CPU i7-4790+3.60 Ghz 32gig RAM
nVidia GeForce GTX-1650 Ti
TopcatWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-22, 02:18 PM   #255
gandyrail
Watch

Downloads: 117
Default Blocked from Opening APP

I'm getting a RED BLOCK message from:
User Account Control:
This App has been blocked for your protection.
For more information contact the administrator.

I am the administrator
I run SH4 as the administrator
I run the special permissions for dpi settinigs

I went to the User Account Control Settings and turned them as low as possible.

I am running Win 10 ... I have been playing FOtRS for several months ... noticed I had not seen a ship to sink in like a week... looked in the file folder and most files were gone but program ran ... apparently windows decided they were not needed by me and deleted them. also deleted files in my TMO folder. I repurchased this game a few months ago on line but still have the original disk with paper map I used to run on a gateway vista.

after thinking about this overnight, I trashed both folders and went to my stock SH4 folder which looks unbelmished. I will remod both these games; I like TMO better, just my opinion. However I can not get the stock game to run. I had this issue once before but can not remember how I resolved it. Can anyone help. I have played with the permissions tab not sure what to do next.

Ok I see to try and run LAA first before running the program. I will run LAA got the program from Amazon so might have to get a new download code if all else fails. but tis folder is where every this was downloaded to.

Last edited by gandyrail; 11-02-22 at 03:06 PM.
gandyrail is offline   Reply With Quote