SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 03-19-22, 05:59 AM   #1
pumais
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 16
Uploads: 0
Default Game crash with unknown error and Volumetric fog error.

I'm using only one mod FotRSU 1.7 and playing via steam, I am aware that it shouldn't be via steam but I cant get it any other way but steam as I only have a steam account. Is there any way to make it work via steam and if there's not should i try redeeming the key via a ubisoft store?
pumais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-22, 08:50 AM   #2
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

FotRSU works just fine in a Steam install. You did not supply any details of your situation, so we'll guess here. However, have you read the installation and activation instructions with FotRSU? The first post in the FotRSU thread and the download page both have abbreviated instructions. The Support folder of the mod has a plethora of redundant data for said purpose.

The first step with the Steam game is to not install your "target" SH4 game in the Program Files folder. If you have multiple drives, you can add a Library folder to the Steam menu. If not, then you will either have to re-install the game (and Steam) outside of the Program Files folder, or move your games "by hand". Refer to Moving a Steam Installation and Games for info.

You also have to have the proper version of the game, since for whatever reason, Steam has decided to sell SH4 in a two-part package. Surely they're not after more money?? Anyway, you need to use the version that has the U-Boat Missions Add-On, where you have a choice for a German career on the Main Menu, in addition to the US career.

Thirdly, if you have previously played the game you MUST EMPTY the Save folder after activating FotRSU (C:\Users \UserName \Documents \SH4), else you will have old, invalid data in that folder which will interfere with a proper FotRSU activation. One last important step is to activate one of the memory applets on the SH4.exe file. Either LAA (Large Address Aware) or the 4Gig Patch (from NTCore). The SH4.exe file must be write-enabled before the applet will set the bits on the file's header.

There are quite a few SubSim members here who use the Steam version without issues, so it's just a matter of getting things set-up properly. Give us more details of your install though, if you are needing more help, such as what drive you have SH4 installed on, and what is its path (C:\Program Files (x86) \Steam \SteamApps \common \Silent Hunter...)?? Also whether you emptied the Save folder, and have you activated LAA or the 4Gig Patch on the SH4.exe file? btw, it is always better to post questions about a specific mod on the last page in any thread for that mod, such as https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...92&postcount=1 in this case.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-22, 01:05 PM   #3
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

pumais!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-22, 09:42 AM   #4
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

You can download the steam game to a folder called steam library(keep this fresh copy pristine, never use it.... . Then you navigate to the steam library folder>steamapps>common> Silent hunters wolves of the deep. Copy everything in the folder. Make a new folder elsewhere and paste the whole thing in there, I name my folder for the mod I'm using. Add Multish4 1.5 to the folder, JSGME and Large ADDRESS AWARE. Activate Large address aware(always make sure it's pointing to the folder and sh4.exe in that folder you are using)

Activate Multish4 and chose a 3 letter save place for your mod. Like for fotrs, I use FOR, Install your mod in your folder, always making sure everything is going to the new folder you made and not the pristine download in steam library. You always have to be careful here. Then activate JSGME for the mod . I use completely new folders everytime for different mods So I have about 6 different mods, all in there own folders starting with copying the fresh install in my steam library folder. Make a shortcut from the SH4.exe in your new folder, then rename it and place it on your desktop. Hope this helps.
1Patriotofmany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-22, 01:44 PM   #5
propbeanie

Which version of Windows are you using with that, 1Patriotofmany? On my Win10 machines, I have to initialize the original game through the Steam app before copying the game folder over to other locations. Did you have to do that on your install? On my laptop here (Win 10), I was not able to do that at all, and had to "move" everything as above. My guess was the Steam licensing was interfering.

Old 03-22-22, 02:59 PM   #6
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
Which version of Windows are you using with that, 1Patriotofmany? On my Win10 machines, I have to initialize the original game through the Steam app before copying the game folder over to other locations. Did you have to do that on your install? On my laptop here (Win 10), I was not able to do that at all, and had to "move" everything as above. My guess was the Steam licensing was interfering.
I think 1Patriotofmany, forgot to mention that, in their post propbeanie...

As I was the one to outlay that principle of multicopying from the original, pristine install of SH4 v1.5, into the \common folder... then, after initially running it to allow for it to finalize set up of it... THEN & only THEN... leave it alone.

That copy there, then becomes your 'GOLD' standard, virgin copy, to then follow the rest of that outlined process, in making multi copies of it to mod, & leaving that copy... UNMODDED.

M. M.

Addendum :

1 other thing to bear, in mind when setting up a multi copy, do so in \common

create a new folder & name it 'SH4-megamods'

so your path looks like:

\common\SH4-megamods

It is in that new created folder, you'll want to create a new folder for your new copy of SH4 v1.5 in.. so that you can mod it to taste... on creating that folder, name it accordingly to the mod set you'll be running with.

Last edited by Mad Mardigan; 03-24-22 at 10:15 PM.
Mad Mardigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-22, 09:42 AM   #7
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
I run 7 X64 pro. I just uninstalled the steam game, then had it reinstall to the steam library folder. Don't remember having to reinitialize it before making copies elsewhere for each mod?
Old 03-23-22, 10:15 AM   #8
propbeanie

Yeah, your "license" may already have been 'authorized', or whatever Steam calls it. I do not have the issue on my Win7 boots like I do with Win10, which is rather stingie in its copy and paste of DirectX v9 Steam games, like SH3 & 4. System dependent? Original install dependent? A bit of both?? lol

Old 03-23-22, 10:17 AM   #9
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I run 7 X64 pro. I just uninstalled the steam game, then had it reinstall to the steam library folder. Don't remember having to reinitialize it before making copies elsewhere for each mod?
Running the virgin copy, is applicable, if you just got it... think the Steam set up... auto remembers it having been ran, but... that is just a WAG, at best... would recommend highly, to still run it... (*1 Time & 1 time only, Vasily... *said in Kpt. Ramius' voice*) just to be on the safe side if you move the whole shooting match (Steam & its library, or just the library alone ) or just dump it & reinstall it, either way.

M. M.
Old 03-24-22, 11:30 AM   #10
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Mardigan View Post
Running the virgin copy, is applicable, if you just got it... think the Steam set up... auto remembers it having been ran, but... that is just a WAG, at best... would recommend highly, to still run it... (*1 Time & 1 time only, Vasily... *said in Kpt. Ramius' voice*) just to be on the safe side if you move the whole shooting match (Steam & its library, or just the library alone ) or just dump it & reinstall it, either way.

M. M.
Yeah that's a possibility if it's the first time. I would run it once from the original folder, then uninstall remove the save folder and reinstall in the steam library option, and never touch it again except for copying the files. I've had not many problems with any of my clean installs from the "virgin copy". Took a long time for me to understand that. Thanks again BTW my friend, you really need to make the list of your files for We dive at Dawn public here and leave your download link. It's been working great and much nicer than plain jane mod.
Old 03-24-22, 10:22 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
Yeah that's a possibility if it's the first time. I would run it once from the original folder, then uninstall remove the save folder and reinstall in the steam library option, and never touch it again except for copying the files. I've had not many problems with any of my clean installs from the "virgin copy". Took a long time for me to understand that. Thanks again BTW my friend, you really need to make the list of your files for We dive at Dawn public here and leave your download link. It's been working great and much nicer than plain jane mod.
Yeah... thing is, those mods, were created by others... & the info on who created them & such... I don't have any more.

My HD I had all that info (& a ton of other mods, for 3, 4, 5 & a bunch of info I had... accumulated over the years... were all lost, when it took a nosedive into the depths when the HD 'died' on Me.

What I can do... is pass those mods along, as I did with you... if I am asked for them. I still have that collection of them all in a 7zip file.

Glad it's working well for you & was glad to help get you set up with it.

M. M.
Old 04-19-22, 03:14 PM   #12
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

radar Re: Welcome aboard...

strikvid.!