SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-10-22, 12:28 AM   #1
l02turner
Soundman

Downloads: 167
Uploads: 0
Default New Error Message

Hello,
I recently upgraded my HDD to a larger cap going from 1TB to 2TB. I normally run SH4 from a store bought CD but this time, I got an error I have not seen before. This time I was told, "this software will not operate in this version of Win10," or something like that. They then suggested I contacted the manufacturer's service dept for assistance.
Has anyone seen a fix for that? I might be able to run a version I own from Steam, although I prefer the flexibility I get from the CD.
I tried to install a vers 1.3 of WOTP . My system is an Acer Laptop with a Toshiba 2TB, 8GB RAM. If you need other stats. let me know.

here's more info:
Windows 10 Home 64b
21H2 19044.1620
Windows Feature Experience Pack 120.2212.4170.0

Any ideas?
TIA --
Lturn
l02turner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-22, 08:47 AM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by l02turner View Post
Hello,
I recently upgraded my HDD to a larger cap going from 1TB to 2TB. I normally run SH4 from a store bought CD but this time, I got an error I have not seen before. This time I was told, "this software will not operate in this version of Win10," or something like that. They then suggested I contacted the manufacturer's service dept for assistance.
Has anyone seen a fix for that? I might be able to run a version I own from Steam, although I prefer the flexibility I get from the CD.
I tried to install a vers 1.3 of WOTP . My system is an Acer Laptop with a Toshiba 2TB, 8GB RAM. If you need other stats. let me know.

here's more info:
Windows 10 Home 64b
21H2 19044.1620

Any ideas?
TIA --
Lturn

Strange...

My rig, which... is a bit, long in the teeth... is running the following:

Windows 10 Pro x64
21H2 10.19044 build 19044

Of course, My rig... is a desktop & not a lappy. But... your set up, should run SH4... without issue... I'd think.

On Mine, am running 9-10 modded copies of SH4 v1.5, just fine... along with a couple of SH3 mod sets... & am reworking back up on a SH5 set up, as well.

Of course.. I have 2 internal HD's & 1 external one...

Internal:

HD1: .5TB

HD2: 2TB

External:

HD3: 4TB

Even so... to best of My knowledge, shouldn't be any issue with running SH4, on your end...

M. M.
Old 04-10-22, 11:14 AM   #3
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Hello,

here's more info:
Windows 10 Home 64b
21H2 19044.1620

Any ideas?
TIA --
Lturn
mr. turner,

check out the SH4-Win10 forum.
https://www.subsim.com/radioroom/sho...d.php?t=221366

good luck.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-22, 08:13 AM   #4
l02turner
Soundman

Thx for the replies. I searched the link provided but did not see anything similar to my issue. I noted all the suggestions to the settings, but I cannot even get far enough to select settings. I can gear/see the DVD drive running then, the message saying the software is not compatible does not pop up.

Is it possible to copy the files from my store bought CD to my hard drive and install from there? I don't run with lots of options, I do like the additional Single Sub Missions for variety so I don't need a lot of mods. But I'd like SH4 to run in some fashion!

Thx again -
Old 04-11-22, 12:18 PM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

If you have a v1.3 or earlier disk I02turner, it has a "protection" scheme embedded in it that requires the disk to be inserted in your DVD drive tray. One possible way to get around that, is that after inserting the disk in the tray, if you you get a "choose what to do with this media" prompt, choose to "explore" or "Open Folder", which ever prompt is appropriate on your machine. If you do not get that, open File Explorer (or whatever your version of Windows calls it), and once in the "root" of the optical drive, right-click on the "setup.exe" and, and choose "Run as administrator". You should then be allowed to run the install program. Similar might be possible if you copy the DVD-R contents to your hard drive. What you can do if you try that, is to use <Ctrl><A> to select "All" the files after copying to your hard drive, right-click any of the files, and choose the "Read-only" tick box and clear it. Choose to allow that on all files and sub-folders. Right-click on the "install.exe" file, and "Run as Administrator". Do NOT install the game in a Program Files folder, but rather create your own install path, such as "C:\Games \SilentHunter" or whatever. Don't forget to choose to install the DirectX v9.0c and codecs from the menu when you get to that section. You do NOT want to install Adobe Acrobat (that is a VERY old version), nor the GameShadow... If that fails, then you would have to get a newer copy of the game, either Steam, Ubisoft download, or a "Gold Edition" version of the disk (there are no v1.4 disks). Once you have it installed, then you try to alter the SH4.exe properties such that it runs OK on your computer.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-22, 03:04 PM   #6
l02turner
Soundman

Default New Error message

Quote:
Hello,

here's more info:
Windows 10 Home 64b
21H2 19044.1620

Any ideas?
TIA --
Lturn

It looks like our systems are very similar. I have my 2TB HDD set up as 2 - 900+ GB Partions , one having ~500 gb data on it and the 2nd with ~100GBs.
Did you install SH4 from a CD or as a download?
TIA --
Old 04-16-22, 06:50 PM   #7
l02turner
Soundman

Thanks Propbeanie - I will try your suggestion and see what happens, then report...

LarryT