Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Flint or Percussion?
flint
Old 10-03-22, 12:55 AM   #3752
em2nought
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 0
Uploads: 0

Seeing those videos from Canada makes me nostalgic for the Holy Loch, and a trip across the Clyde to Gourock on a bad day. Just got my electric back four days after Ian went through. Having trouble finding my copy of Key Largo.
Old 10-03-22, 04:31 AM   #3753
GrenSo
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 584
Uploads: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbuna View Post
Nice shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
What a beautiful collection of images - well done, GrenSo! Great post, buddy

Thanks. Next time, if I can persuade my wife, we will go to Kiel/Laboe for a short tipp.

“Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind.” - J.F.K.
GrenSo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 08:10 AM   #3754
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

@ GrenSo
As everyone has commented, great shots. The Submarine looks remarkably preserved as well. Not sure if you knew there was a Subsim Meet at Schleswig-Holstein, Laboe with U-995. Everyone raved about how well U-995 was preserved as well.

Thanks for posting your fantastic pictures.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 09:07 AM   #3755
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Thanks guys. No power or internet. On my phone. It’s a disaster for sure but we are all safe. My son in law got me a generator so we have the basics.

We were hammered and then some with Fiona weren't we

My brother lost about 80 trees on his property. Just got power back on a few days ago. We fared better where we were at. We had power a few days after we got hit.

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 01:57 PM   #3756
u crank
Old enough to know better

Downloads: 136

Yea it was a hell of a ride. We were four hours short of seven full days without power but did have a 5500 watt generator. Downtown Charlottetown along North River Rd. looked like a war zone earlier in the week. The clean up is gonna be a long hard go. Glad you are alright.

“Two possibilities exist: either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.”

― Arthur C. Clarke

u crank is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-22, 02:54 PM   #3757
ReallyDedPoet
Canadian Wolf

Downloads: 946
Uploads: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by u crank View Post
Yea it was a hell of a ride. We were four hours short of seven full days without power but did have a 5500 watt generator. Downtown Charlottetown along North River Rd. looked like a war zone earlier in the week. The clean up is gonna be a long hard go. Glad you are alright.

You as well .

Back in the Day

ReallyDedPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-22, 12:07 AM   #3758
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Having just watched the SF Giants lose to the San Diego Padres; I'm now engrossed in Studio 666, a 2022 horror flik starring the Foo Fighters!?? I found the title a tad intrigueing somehow....

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"

Last edited by Aktungbby; 10-04-22 at 12:21 AM.
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-22, 07:49 AM   #3759
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

I just saw some jars of Moira's attempt at fig preserve in the kitchen. She made two batches because the first lot set like bitumen in the jar - you have to gouge it out with a knife. This I see she's labelled "thick and chunky"
Old 10-12-22, 10:21 AM   #3760
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

Default Roman Arch, Lincoln

Yesterday I had to attend a hospital appointment at Lincoln General. Afterwards we had time to drive the very short distance to the cathedral quarter, where Moira photographed a Roman gate which had recently captivated one of her FB friends in the US, who'd seen it pictured online and found it incredible that we can just walk up to such a thing in our own back yard. She also took a number of pics of other ruins (including me) and the cathedral - plus this great statue of Tennyson in the grounds of same

(Looks like he just caught something that bounced off his head lol)

Last edited by Eichhörnchen; 10-12-22 at 03:50 PM.
Eichhörnchen is online   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-22, 12:58 PM   #3761
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

The wife and I both had our fourth covid jab an hour or so ago.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 04:15 PM   #3762
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

I got to fire the new Dental Office this morning.

It wasn't really going well. I showed up at first to check them out as replacement for my old, retired Dentist and get a troublesome wisdom tooth yanked that was starting to act up. The first appt. was an "eval" and the Dr. told me he'd get to the wisdom tooth eventually (I've been hearing this for almost 20 years).

"Doc, I think its infected. Can't you pull it today?"

"We'll know when its time. Not today."

The tooth really went bad that night and I showed up before the office opened the next morning for some emergency service. I told them I was in a lot of pain and it wasn't subsiding. They let me sit in the waiting room while everyone in the office went to a meeting. Two hours later the same Dr. says "Yeah, its infected all right.." and finally hits me with some Novocain. I get the tooth pulled and go home. I ask about an Rx for some kind of Penicillin and they look at me like I'm asking for Crack.

I did the follow up a couple of days ago. Two hours of X Rays and one hour for a cleaning. Bear in mind I had a tooth extracted one week earlier. No one wants to check how things are healing- until I ask.

Dr. Oz finally shows up for a quick look. He wants to pull some more teeth. I have two molars with crowns. They were done 12 years ago and about four years ago. I have no issues with them at all but they need to come out because.... reasons. He also wants to yank a cap/crown on an incisor that I paid top dollar for two years ago. Again, reasons. I tell him I have no problems with any of those teeth.

"Oh, you will.."
Right, and the Sun will turn into a Red Giant and consume the Earth. But not right now. I find out this plan will cost me somewhere between four to six thousand dollars by the end of the year.

Because...reasons.
For teeth that aren't giving me any problems.

Maybe he's peed off because he didn't find any cavities?

Keep in mind I've already paid out somewhere between 5 and 6 hundred dollars for three visits, a yanked wisdom tooth, X rays and a cleaning.

Its as if I was speaking in a foreign language the whole time, at least my bank account is good. Besides, my Momma didn't raise any fools.

But, how would I bail out of this boutique without any threats or litigation? Even though I've paid for the work they did, handsomely, I don't want to find out about any termination fees or "Because we said so!" fees.

I called this morning and explained that I wanted to cancel my up-coming appts. and have my name removed from their patient lists. Basically, they have been fired but I'm being really pleasant and courteous about it. Naturally, I get a "Why??". This is where you need to think ahead. You're telling someone why you won't be bankrolling their new Condo or Power Boat.

"Well, I worked my budget for a while last night and I won't be able to afford it". BAM! What they hear is not that I'm cheap, I'm BROKE and there's no way you make money off the poor.

They lady on the phone sets a speed record wrapping it up. "Well,-that's-sad-and-I-hope-everything-works-out-gotta-go!".

Perfect.

Have I mentioned that I loath shopping for a Dentist?
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 04:53 PM   #3763
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

I'd just tell 'em: "'I'm terminally I'll and already prepaid in full at Neptune Society; hence no further other need of their otherwise inestimable professional services!"

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 05:46 PM   #3764
ET2SN
ET2/SS

Downloads: 58

Well, you don't want to lie but does it count if you lie to a sheister?

Basically, I wanted to drop them without any drama or ill-feelings.
This was one of those offices with three dentists, two dental techs, and an army of Admins and Assistants pounding the forms and paperwork. They literally have a "bullpen" next to the waiting room. Which is fine, but they are telegraphing that they aren't interested unless their patients have a sweet dental plan at their office or Union Hall.

If they see you as not being a steady source of revenue, you tend to be ignored.
They don't like or hate you, they just don't see you.

So, did I lie to them? Mostly, no. I just told them I was one of the Untouchables.
ET2SN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-22, 11:18 PM   #3765
Otto Harkaman
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eichhörnchen View Post
Wow, so fascinating when you really look at all of it. Obviously the arch has been broken several times, the tales those stones could tell.

Otto Harkaman is offline   Reply With Quote