SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > General > General Topics
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-06-22, 12:12 PM   #3661
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22
Uploads: 0

cool Old war flicks

enjoying The Enemy Below, D-Day the Sixth of June, and The Frogmen, & Decision Before Dawn on D-Day!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 01:51 PM   #3662
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
enjoying The Enemy Below, D-Day the Sixth of June, and The Frogmen, & Decision Before Dawn on D-Day!

Great movies. Robert Mitchum was always a great actor in all the reruns I have seen. Robert had such a commanding presence. I also liked him as Victor " Pug " Henry in the mini-series, " Winds of war " based on a book by Herman wouk.

Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 02:15 PM   #3663
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

"Winds of war" is a great book.. but it stops in the middle of the war, and i have not yet read "War and remembrance", which seems to be the sequel(?).

Yesterday and today repaired the blinking airbag lamp or better the cause for it, then moved stones from one place in the garden to another. Sysiphos was a joke in comparison

Now watching football England-Germany, with a chech Breznak

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 02:47 PM   #3664
Commander Wallace
Navy Seal

Downloads: 360

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catfish View Post
"Winds of war" is a great book.. but it stops in the middle of the war, and i have not yet read "War and remembrance", which seems to be the sequel(?).

Yesterday and today repaired the blinking airbag lamp or better the cause for it, then moved stones from one place in the garden to another. Sysiphos was a joke in comparison

Now watching football England-Germany, with a chech Breznak

I have not seen War and remembrance so I really have no idea if that's the sequel but it would seem to be. Winds of War went through I believe 7 installments and it indeed did end with WW2's conclusion. The clip I included with my previous post is the end of WW2 for Victor " Pug " Henry.
Commander Wallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-22, 08:37 PM   #3665
Sean C
Grey Wolf

Downloads: 12
Uploads: 2

Cycling.

Old 06-19-22, 10:59 AM   #3666
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy

Default HAPPY FATHER'S DAY & JUNETEENTH!

Sipping having my morning cuppa-Joe and reading the paper. I will joining my daughter and her fiànce later for a combined Father's Day and my wife's birthday luncheon. Still recuperating from a day of slaving over a hot stove making 37 jars of apricot jam (9 pints)from the neighbor's tree! I just got a message there will be no Wall Street Journal on Monday, as today is Juneteenth, now an official Federal holiday, honoring June 19, 1865 when Galveston, Texas, westernmost state of the Confederacy, was finally put into compliance with Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation of 1863. As a retiree myself, I hope it's a paid holiday for those workers slaving away to pay into my Social Security stipend...

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Old 06-19-22, 11:03 AM   #3667
Eichhörnchen
Starte das Auto

Downloads: 5

^
Old 06-19-22, 12:24 PM   #3668
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

Both kids and their respective husband/partner and granddaughter have not long left after their Fathers Day visit so the wife and I plan on a relaxing evening in front of tv where I'll be sure to taste some of the beers I have received.

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-22, 08:22 PM   #3669
Red October1984
Airplane Nerd

Downloads: 115

Quarterly check-in. I'm doing well! Finishing up some training before moving on to the next evolution.

Glad to see familiar faces still cruising along here. Best wishes to all

- John
Old 07-21-22, 12:25 PM   #3670
Jimbuna
Chief of the Boat

Downloads: 63
Uploads: 13

2k on a new combi boiler for the house

GWX3.0 Download Page - Donation/instant access to GWX (Help SubSim)
Jimbuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-22, 06:59 PM   #3671
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Gottcha beat! SWMBO and I are finally 'goin solar' with a backup battery. Unsure of the total price less the 10K+- Federal tax credit, 13 solar panels and the new electric fuse panel (mine is original since the house was built in 1967) It will also need to be moved at least a meter away from the gas-meter per current code rules. and is a potential fire hazard...so I figure 20-30K with loan. The house roof just got droned/inspected this AM to make sure the roof is up to to snuff to hold the panels. It was just replaced along with baths and kitchen; so that shouldn't be an issue. The plan is to lower the ever increasing bill from PG&E since the home system then 'sells' electricity into the grid to offset the bill. My boat captain/neighbor has a Tesla system, and except for an inverter failure early on, he is pleased with the result & bill savings; and can monitor the system and grid interaction with his phone app...

Old 07-21-22, 07:17 PM   #3672
Jeff-Groves
Village Idiot

Downloads: 130

I'm currently replacing the regulator and seals in an FX Streamline .22 rifle for a friend.

Now where did I put my 11mm box wrench?
Old 07-23-22, 02:58 PM   #3673
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

Flew up north for 50 high school reunion got covid came home.
Old 07-23-22, 03:30 PM   #3674
Catfish
Dipped Squirrel Operative

Downloads: 38

^ ouch. Hope it does not get too bad, wish you a speedy recovery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aktungbby View Post
Gottcha beat! SWMBO and I are finally 'goin solar' with a backup battery. Unsure of the total price less the 10K+- Federal tax credit, 13 solar panels and the new electric fuse panel (mine is original since the house was built in 1967) It will also need to be moved at least a meter away from the gas-meter per current code rules. and is a potential fire hazard...so I figure 20-30K with loan. The house roof just got droned/inspected this AM to make sure the roof is up to to snuff to hold the panels. It was just replaced along with baths and kitchen; so that shouldn't be an issue. The plan is to lower the ever increasing bill from PG&E since the home system then 'sells' electricity into the grid to offset the bill. My boat captain/neighbor has a Tesla system, and except for an inverter failure early on, he is pleased with the result & bill savings; and can monitor the system and grid interaction with his phone app...
This solar electric stuff sounds phantastic, and it is. Fantasy. There is no battery that can store as much as one needs, let alone how long it will be able to work in its life cycle. Four years, six if you're lucky?

You can use solar cells to lower the base consumption and sell it to the grid, but fuelling an electric oven? Run an air condition with it? You need the heater when the sun does not shine. Solar cells also do not work forever, chrystalline ones are "ok", amorph ones age in five years to less than 30 percent of their original output.

We have calculated this to and fro, thing is it only will be worth the investion after 20-30 years – most probably not even then due to battery ageing, solar cell replacement and ageing electronics.
Invest 30,000 Euros to pay 100 Euros less/month does not look as if i would ever see some return. Maybe when i'll be 110 years old, but even then

So financially it does not make much sense now. Maybe later with better technology.
What about ecological gain? Even here the building of solar cells, electronics, batteries, transport, installation, maintenance, disposal/recycling; the overall cumulative energy balance is bad, much worse than using what we have.
Does not have much impact on world climate just because your exhaust is located at the horizon.

It fuels the economy of cours. And so cool to have a smartphone gadget that gives one the illusion of control

>^..^<*)))>{ All generalizations are wrong.
Catfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-22, 07:37 PM   #3675
stoppro
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 493

thanks. pretty much over it just tired.