SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > SH4 Mods Workshop
Forget password? Reset here

Old 04-01-11, 04:00 PM   #3151
Ducimus
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 67
Uploads: 2

Yes redoing/revisiting sub physics was on my mental list of things to do. I'm not happy with them either. Trouble is, i ran out of time, patience, and motivation.
Ducimus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 04:40 PM   #3152
TorpX
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 153
Uploads: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WH4K View Post
If we're discussing pet tweaks, how about more realistic boat handling?

Obviously I've never been at the helm of a US submarine, but the way they handle w/TMO 2.1 seems...wrong. Far too light and responsive. As if I were piloting a small fiberglass hull with an outboard, almost.

It's most noticeable when I begin a patrol at the dock. If I immediately order Flank speed, I shoot away from the dock like a sailor starting liberty. In no time at all, I'm up to 15+ knots.

The other weird thing is that it takes FOREVER to stop. I frequently find myself using Back Slow to "brake" because it seems to take far too long to go from 1 knot to 0 knots.

Surely that isn't accurate? Fleet boats were big, heavy suckers, and I can't see them performing like a modern ski boat. There were way too many things sticking out of the hull for them to keep coasting for a couple of miles with the props unpowered.
Does anybody have a source for what their performance should be?
TorpX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-11, 06:46 PM   #3153
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364
Uploads: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canonicus View Post
I really like the newest 2.1 update...excellent work,as usual.

However..I think the water is still too transparent. You really should NOT be able see the bilge keel on a Fleet boat,or ship, when your right up next too it. The waters way too murky. Just look at some good quality photos from your reference books, (I KNOW you have some!) and you'll see what I mean.

If anyone agrees ...here's a little tweek to the waterTranspPS you can make. Just open it in notepad,scroll down untill you see this...

float maxDist = WaterParams.w;
//[ser] Increase opacity near intersections to make water edge more visible
float shallowfactor = saturate(1/(depthlength*40 + 1));
//[ser] Attempt a pseudo-antialiasing by decreasing opacity smoothly near zero-depth
shallowfactor = saturate(shallowfactor - pow(shallowfactor,4))*1.25;
// depthlength = saturate(depthlength/maxDist + shallowfactor);
depthlength = saturate(depthlength *0.35);

Change the highlighted number to 0.6 (its a compromise number so feel free to go higher or lower, if you like.)

IMO, this makes the water look far more natural..not like crystal clear water in a bathtub!

Cheers!
Geesh, the water is almost solid now compared to what it once was, plus we now have a black horizon at night to match it. I actually like it compared to the past, as you really have to work with the moon. I think in reality, water was more transparent than it is with 2.1. Course depends on where you are in the world....
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 05:59 AM   #3154
stephenf555
Watch

Downloads: 49
Default Transfer message but no change after dock

Hi folks,
Did a search around but can't find an answer.

Starting from Pearl. Got a message on patrol to change base to Surabaya. I know the change won't happen until after I dock again. Finished my patrol and docked again at Pearl. Rang the transfer phone in the office but nothing available. Left port again and Pearl was still the only slanted anchor. Got another transfer message later too but same thing.

Wouldn't mind transferring from Pearl to save the long trips.

Is this normal behaviour or are the messages a hangover from stock or something like that?

Thanks.
Stephenf

TMO 2.1
RSRD
stephenf555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 08:06 AM   #3155
razark
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 393
Uploads: 12

The message was addressed to other boats. Your radio operator picked up the message and let you know just to keep you informed.
Old 04-04-11, 09:24 AM   #3156
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813
Default Help is on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
The message was addressed to other boats. Your radio operator picked up the message and let you know just to keep you informed.
Correct advice. At your home port you can transfer to the Asiatic fleet; however, after the Battle for Midway, the base at Pearl is moved there so the commute is shorter.

Also, there is a mod that entilted Extra Allied Naval Bases for SH4 + UBM +TMO1.7 that adds refueling/rearming bases. I do not know if it is hisotorically accurate. It works with TM0 2.0 and 2.1.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 09:36 AM   #3157
NavalSquirrel
Watch

Downloads: 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
Correct advice. At your home port you can transfer to the Asiatic fleet; however, after the Battle for Midway, the base at Pearl is moved there so the commute is shorter.

Also, there is a mod that entilted Extra Allied Naval Bases for SH4 + UBM +TMO1.7 that adds refueling/rearming bases. I do not know if it is hisotorically accurate. It works with TM0 2.0 and 2.1.
Yeeeeeeeaaaahhhh....I got that message....and I was stationed out of Pearl and well........it was 3 am so I was out of it..and..well......lets say my crew got to do some nice sight seeing lol
NavalSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 09:41 AM   #3158
NavalSquirrel
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armistead View Post
Geesh, the water is almost solid now compared to what it once was, plus we now have a black horizon at night to match it. I actually like it compared to the past, as you really have to work with the moon. I think in reality, water was more transparent than it is with 2.1. Course depends on where you are in the world....
Well I was in the US Navy. Not submarines but with a helo squadron and my first deployment was in the Pacific. The water there was amazingly clear. I could be on the cat walk about 50+ feet up and I could clearly see the side of the ship under the waterline. Sadly, I lost most of my navy pics when either my exwife deleted them or my hard drive crashed lol. Anyways figured I would offer my two cents on that.
Old 04-04-11, 10:12 AM   #3159
I'm goin' down
Ocean Warrior

Downloads: 813

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavalSquirrel View Post
Yeeeeeeeaaaahhhh....I got that message....and I was stationed out of Pearl and well........it was 3 am so I was out of it..and..well......lets say my crew got to do some nice sight seeing lol
You might be in need of a longer vacation.
I'm goin' down is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-11, 11:36 AM   #3160
NavalSquirrel
Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by I'm goin' down View Post
You might be in need of a longer vacation.
lmao well it all worked out because I stumbled across a convoy on the way back and since I took the chance to refuel and rearm I notched up four very nice kills to my patrol record.
Old 04-04-11, 10:56 PM   #3161
Armistead
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 364

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavalSquirrel View Post
Well I was in the US Navy. Not submarines but with a helo squadron and my first deployment was in the Pacific. The water there was amazingly clear. I could be on the cat walk about 50+ feet up and I could clearly see the side of the ship under the waterline. Sadly, I lost most of my navy pics when either my exwife deleted them or my hard drive crashed lol. Anyways figured I would offer my two cents on that.
That's the point I was making to the fellow that said 2.1's water was too clear, it's almost solid now compared to 2.0. I agree 2.0 is probably closer to reality. I miss the clear water, but actually prefer the darker effects at night with the blacker horizon.
Armistead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-11, 05:35 AM   #3162
stephenf555
Watch

Downloads: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by razark View Post
Ahhhhh
Cheers. I should read the messages more clearly then.
stephenf555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 01:08 PM   #3163
eers75
Seaman

Downloads: 68

Hello all, just returned to sh4 after a year or so break and I have a question. First off great work on TMO and I was very excited to see 2.0/1 out when I returned and im loving it. However there is one aspect that I would like to tweak for me personally if possible and I believe it is but I cant remember how. I am somewhat familiar with modding but cant find the file that I need or parameters.

On 3 occassions now running only sh1.5/TMO 2.0/2.1 only mods with 100% realism, I have had to return to base with a very damaged sub as a result of skirmishes but with me limping home instead of awards im getting demoted to a lesser sub and cant seem to figure out why.

For example my last patrol I ran in to a taskforce and managed to sink a kongo and a mogami cruiser and escaped by the skin of my teeth with a sub that had very bad damage. I also play dead is dead with no replaying missions and such. When I get back to base im asked if I want to retire and of course I say no and im demoted to a porpoise. (I play asiatic in sargo starting out dec 8, 1941)

Is there a way to set a lower paramater im assuming for success in some way. I love this feature if I had done something careless but this seems a bit harsh lol. Any help would be appreciated and I thank all who reply in advance, cheers.
eers75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 01:29 PM   #3164
Jan Kyster
Ace of the Deep

Downloads: 152

I don't agree with the High Command in giving you a boat at all. Completely agree with them that you should retire....

Coming home with a damaged boat...

And on behalf of the american tax payers... do you even know what a fleetboat costs?!

Besides that... sorry I can't/won't help you!

All your problems will get solved once you stop ruining your trusted boat!
You'll get medals, tons of renowns, a bigger and better boat with brand new bling, Lockwood will hug you and what not.

Jan Kyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 01:40 PM   #3165
eers75
Seaman

Downloads: 68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jan Kyster View Post
I don't agree with the High Command in giving you a boat at all. Completely agree with them that you should retire....

Coming home with a damaged boat...

And on behalf of the american tax payers... do you even know what a fleetboat costs?!

Besides that... sorry I can't/won't help you!

All your problems will get solved once you stop ruining your trusted boat!
You'll get medals, tons of renowns, a bigger and better boat with brand new bling, Lockwood will hug you and what not.

Huh? Im not sure what you took issue with my post on but im simply asking a question and didnt expect this type of response to say the least. To each his own but to me bringing back a damaged boat due to a legitimate battle doesnt warrant demotion. Im asking how to tweak this for my personal use and your response was a bit over the top in my opinion.
eers75 is offline   Reply With Quote