SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Sub/Naval + Other Games > Sub/Naval & General Games Discussion > Jutland
Forget password? Reset here

Old 12-11-08, 11:10 PM   #1
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Downloads: 6
Uploads: 0
Default SES Jutland is out

The demo is at:
http://stormeaglestudios.com/public/...nloads_v2.html

PD
PeriscopeDepth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-08, 11:51 PM   #2
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Downloads: 13

*cheers*

See it's a little less pricey than DG as well
Old 12-12-08, 09:39 AM   #3
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Downloads: 1

Now to find out how much more successful, if at all, the HSF could have been if that retard Wilhelm wasn't running the show.

"Hey everybody, I wanna have this huge battlefleet and then never use it."
CaptHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-08, 11:59 AM   #4
turnerg
Bosun

Downloads: 37

Alright, where's Horsa at? We tried for over a year or so to make Destroyer Command work like jutland....
Old 12-12-08, 09:46 PM   #5
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Downloads: 85

WO HOO, finaly. I wonder what the demo has instore.
Old 12-13-08, 10:23 AM   #6
difool2
Commander

Downloads: 30

Yeah, there's been a small sh*tstorm on some of the other wargaming boards that I frequent about this DRM stuff. The game certainly intrigued me, but this "phone home every seven days or your copy stops working" stuff is way beyond the pale. Considering that this is a small publisher, they are likely losing more legitimate sales than the ones they would "lose" via piracy. They've also apparently isolated themselves from the community by refusing to engage in open discussion on their forum (and if you don't own the game then forget it). And the typos on the main site are unintentionally hilarious. A tragicomedy to be sure.
difool2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 10:25 AM   #7
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptHawkeye
Now to find out how much more successful, if at all, the HSF could have been if that retard Wilhelm wasn't running the show.

How, exactly, was Wilhelm related to this?

AFAIK Wilhelm relied heavily on his generals for advice in the war matters, so the blame should probably fall squarely Tirpitz

Oh, and don't forget the British had the same attitude

EDIT: Oh, just read that after the Battle of Heligoland Bight the Kaiser decided that the fleet should hold back so as to not sustain severe losses, so you're probably right (In the fact that it was Wilhelm's decision not to employ the HSF more aggressively, that is)

Anyway, I hate annoying DRM as well, but as long as they don't limit my playing to a few installs or some such things I'm not gonne pass up the game for it

Last edited by Raptor1; 12-13-08 at 12:36 PM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 01:09 PM   #8
Task Force
Rear Admiral

hmmm whats the diffrence between the pro and the normal edition.:hmm:
Old 12-13-08, 01:24 PM   #9
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Task Force
hmmm whats the diffrence between the pro and the normal edition.:hmm:
The Pro version version has the full 1916 campaign (As opposed to the smaller May 1916 campaign that focuses solely on the Battle of Jutland), and a battle editor

I just bought the Pro version BTW
Old 12-13-08, 01:25 PM   #10
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Now where to get the money.:hmm:
Old 12-13-08, 01:30 PM   #11
Raptor1
Navy Seal

Quote:
Wear a fake beard and a KLM uniform and you can raise money selling fake color pictures of Alfred von Tirpitz

Last edited by Raptor1; 12-13-08 at 01:30 PM.
Raptor1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 01:31 PM   #12
Task Force
Rear Admiral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raptor1
Quote:
Wear a fake beard and a KLM uniform and you can raise money selling fake color pictures of Alfred von Tirpitz
Great Idea.:rotfl:
Old 12-13-08, 03:39 PM   #13
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Quote:
Quote:

AFAIK Wilhelm relied heavily on his generals for advice in the war matters, so the blame should probably fall squarely Tirpitz

Anyway, I hate annoying DRM as well, but as long as they don't limit my playing to a few installs or some such things I'm not gonne pass up the game for it
The Germans (even the British) had always been conservative in their naval strategy because the Germans were aware of the British number superiority. They couldn't chance losing their fleet, because just its existence as a "fleet in being" necessitated the British operate more conservatively, always taking into account in their operations what the HSF sortieing would mean.

PD
Old 12-13-08, 11:24 PM   #14
CaptHawkeye
Weps

Downloads: 1

Quote:
After Heligoland Wilhelm **** his pants, and took up the firm belief that the HSF was doomed if it left port. So he virtually banned its use. Which was pretty funny considering German media claimed that Jellicoe was a coward, whom never left Scapa Flow.

Quote:
It's too bad he did listen to them. Otherwise he might have not have opted to construct one of the biggest strategic blunders in history. The High Seas Fleet.

I'm actually a fan of the HSF, but it's a subjective choice based on my liking for the KM's ship design.

Quote:
Jellicoe kept the Grand Fleet at Sea constantly, and Beatty obsessivley hunted Sheer whenever rumors of his presense were about. Jellicoe was cautious but he was by no means a believer of the "Fleet in Being" concept.

Quote:
EDIT: Oh, just read that after the Battle of Heligoland Bight the Kaiser decided that the fleet should hold back so as to not sustain severe losses, so you're probably right (In the fact that it was Wilhelm's decision not to employ the HSF more aggressively, that is)
He did lift the ban on its use after Dogger Bank. The Scouting Force couldn't operate safely without the HSF on immediate standby. Then Wilhelm, ever the self-contradictory, put the ban right back on the fleet after Jutland.

Anyway i've decided to experiment with a more aggressive strategy. It's paid off so far. I used the scouting force to ruin a large DD/CL patrol group in the channel. Only narrowly avoiding Beatty the next morning. Using Zeppelin scouting and minelaying I was able to corner a Monitor Fleet at Dover and annhiliate it with the HSF. I've lost lots of destroyers though. I can only hope i'm slowly wearing down the channel's defenses.
CaptHawkeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-08, 02:01 AM   #15
PeriscopeDepth
Sea Lord

Quote:
Anyway i've decided to experiment with a more aggressive strategy. It's paid off so far. I used the scouting force to ruin a large DD/CL patrol group in the channel. Only narrowly avoiding Beatty the next morning. Using Zeppelin scouting and minelaying I was able to corner a Monitor Fleet at Dover and annhiliate it with the HSF. I've lost lots of destroyers though. I can only hope i'm slowly wearing down the channel's defenses.
As I see it, that's the problem with using the HSF too aggressively. The Brits get more reinforcements while you have to make do with what you have. Eventually, once you sacrifice all your pawns (DDs) you will have to sacrifice some BBs/BCs. And you can't afford to lose any of those without being sure of striking a major blow to the British. Have you had any luck with your U-Boats? I plan to start an HSF campaign soon, and will probably do an AAR here when I do. Let us (me) know how your's is going so I may learn from your mistakes.

PD

Last edited by PeriscopeDepth; 12-14-08 at 02:02 AM.