SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 06-09-22, 09:11 PM   #1
DeutscheQuality
Seaman

Downloads: 150
Uploads: 0
Icon1 Metric unit

I am running with TMO 2.5 BH, and there is something that i would like to relate, so i can know if it is a feature of the mod or a bug. While using the metric units, everything works fine except my mission orders, that are being displayed on Nautical Miles

Anyone else ever had this? Thanks for reading
DeutscheQuality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 10:36 PM   #2
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeutscheQuality View Post
I am running with TMO 2.5 BH, and there is something that i would like to relate, so i can know if it is a feature of the mod or a bug. While using the metric units, everything works fine except my mission orders, that are being displayed on Nautical Miles

With TMO BH, you should NOT be using metric... BUT, instead should be using imperial.

Metric standard, should ONLY be used if you are playing SH4 v1.5, with mod/s activated for running a Uboat career... ONLY.

Therein, lies your conundrum...

M. M.
Old 06-09-22, 10:41 PM   #3
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Downloads: 550
Uploads: 42

Quote:

The mission orders are different files, added by original creator of TMO (Ducimus) and myself in the update version. When you select metric on options menu, the game will display most things in metric but does not change orders portion as the options have no effect.

After all of my career in the pacific with fleetboats and using my native imperial system, I am in same situation as currently running U Boats in Dark Waters mod. To keep things authentic, I am using metric system ,which is taking some getting used but working out now, mostly.
Bubblehead1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-22, 10:54 PM   #4
DeutscheQuality
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
The mission orders are different files, added by original creator of TMO (Ducimus) and myself in the update version. When you select metric on options menu, the game will display most things in metric but does not change orders portion as the options have no effect.

After all of my career in the pacific with fleetboats and using my native imperial system, I am in same situation as currently running U Boats in Dark Waters mod. To keep things authentic, I am using metric system ,which is taking some getting used but working out now, mostly.

Personally, what are doing to getting used to the metric system? I ask this because now knowing about this, i feel a little dismotived to still playing. I used to play SH4 with the TMO (an older version) on the beginning of the year and managed to play with no problem using metric units. Anyway, many thanks for your reply and good hunting!
Old 06-09-22, 11:21 PM   #5
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Personally, what are doing to getting used to the metric system? I ask this because now knowing about this, i feel a little dismotived to still playing. I used to play SH4 with the TMO (an older version) on the beginning of the year and managed to play with no problem using metric units. Anyway, many thanks for your reply and good hunting!

Well first I keep in mind that 1 meter=3.2 ft.

For quick reference in case get overwhelmed in heat of a mission, I keep this site pulled up on on other screen. Can punch in and get a quick conversion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I typed up on notepad also...

Optimal torpedo attack range when submerged is 1000 yards=914.4 meters

Optimal range for surfaced torpedo attack (night) is 2,500 yds or 2286 meters

A lot of the orders will say patrol within 150 nautical miles 150 nautical miles=277.8 kilometer.

With references and actually operating the sim with the system through repetition, it's sticking, find myself not requiring reference often. I am glad I went with authentic measurements, would be strange running imperial units in a u boat lol.

Well, hope it does not deter you from running the mod, it will be worth giving it a try. Hope this helped.
Old 06-09-22, 11:25 PM   #6
DeutscheQuality
Seaman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubblehead1980 View Post
Well first I keep in mind that 1 meter=3.2 ft.

For quick reference in case get overwhelmed in heat of a mission, I keep this sight pulled up on on other screen. Can punch in and get a quick conversion.

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+...hrome&ie=UTF-8

I typed up on notepad also...

Optimal torpedo attack range when submerged is 1000 yards=914.4 meters

Optimal range for surfaced torpedo attack (night) is 2,500 yds or 2286 meters

A lot of the orders will say patrol within 150 nautical miles 150 nautical miles=277.8 kilometer.

With references and actually operating the sim with the system through repetition, it's sticking, find myself not requiring reference often. I am glad I went with authentic measurements, would be strange running imperial units in a u boat lol.

Well, hope it does not deter you from running the mod, it will be worth giving it a try. Hope this helped.

Definitely it will help. I'll try doing something similar, again, many thanks for your help
Old 06-09-22, 11:28 PM   #7
Bubblehead1980
Navy Seal

Quote:
Definitely it will help. I'll try doing something similar, again, many thanks for your help

No problem! Let us know how it goes in the patrol logs/screen shots thread
Old 06-12-22, 04:19 PM   #8
Pisces
Silent Hunter

Downloads: 300

Some metric vs imperial transformation rules:

1 foot = 0.3048 meter ; 1 meter = 3.28 foot

Or as quick rough conversion for governmentwork:

in foot: meters times 3 + a tenth of it (10%)

120m: 120x3 + 36= 396 feet ( or if exact: 120m/0.3048m= 393.7 feet)

in meters: feet - a tenth of it (10%), dividing then by 3
270 feet: 270 feet - 27= 243, divide by 3 is 81 meters.

1 yard = 3 foot, so you just have to take care of that 10th or 10% in the calculation. A yard is just 8-9% short of a meter.

1 yard = 3 x 0.3048m = 0.9144m

1m = 1.09 yards which is close to 1.1 yards.

400m in yards: 400m + 40m = 440 yards (versus 437.4 exact yards)

650 yards in meters: 650 yards - 65 yards = 585 m (versus 594.4 meters exact)

This last isn't very exact. But you don't need to have that precision usually. Just be close enough to get the biggest broadside angle of the target to hit into.

Nautical miles:

1 nautical mile = 1852 meters, just short of 2 kilometer.

Or 1 nautical mile is roughly 8% short of 2 kilometer. Or 2 kilometer is about 7.5% longer than 1 nautical mile.

nautical miles to kilometers: times 2, then subtract 8% of that result
50 nm = 2 x50 kilometers, then - 8x2x50/100= 100-8 km = 92 km( versus 92.6 km exact)

kilometers to nautical miles:
nautical miles = add 8% of kilometers, then halve of that.

300 kilometers in nautical miles: 300 + 24= 324, then halve = 162km (versus 161.98 nautical mile exact)

As for speeds: speed in meters per second: 1 m/s = 1.944 knots (=3600/1852); or roughly 2 knots. (close within 3%)

So measure length in meters, divide speed across the (fixed, stationary) line by time in seconds. Times 2 to get knots.

Last edited by Pisces; 06-12-22 at 04:30 PM.
Pisces is offline   Reply With Quote