SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-30-22, 10:33 PM   #1
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Downloads: 38
Uploads: 0
Default Running Multiple Copies of SH4??

I finally got the Gold Edition V1.5 of SH4 up and running properly in Steam and I don't want to mess that up. Would like to get some war patrols or maybe even a campaign going.
However I have been dying to try out the FOTRS Ultimate MOD out from all the videos I'm seeing and I was wondering is it possible to run 2 separate games with the same title if it's loaded into a different area?
Besides the Steam version that I purchased this past memorial weekend I also have another download from Amazon that is not related to Steam that I purchased back in 2019. It is the same Gold Edition V1.5 with U-boat mission adds.
I was wondering if I could install to a separate file area and use it as my clean copy to play around with the MODs.
Any thoughts?

"You know what the chain of command is?
It's the chain I get and beat you with till you understand who's in command."
-ME
hunter301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 11:06 PM   #2
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Location: Chicago area, which is more dangerous than Omaha Beach.
Downloads: 431
Uploads: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter301 View Post
I finally got the Gold Edition V1.5 of SH4 up and running properly in Steam and I don't want to mess that up. Would like to get some war patrols or maybe even a campaign going.
However I have been dying to try out the FOTRS Ultimate MOD out from all the videos I'm seeing and I was wondering is it possible to run 2 separate games with the same title if it's loaded into a different area?
Besides the Steam version that I purchased this past memorial weekend I also have another download from Amazon that is not related to Steam that I purchased back in 2019. It is the same Gold Edition V1.5 with U-boat mission adds.
I was wondering if I could install to a separate file area and use it as my clean copy to play around with the MODs.
Any thoughts?
use MultiSH4. it is in the downloads forum.
follow the instructions and you should be fine.

------------------------------------------------------------
Silent Hunter 4 1.5 Gold Edition on CDROM
LAA enabled
Dell XPS with 32 GB Ram running Win10
KaleunMarco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-22, 11:36 PM   #3
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaleunMarco View Post
Thanks.
I'll look into it.
BTW.. I see in your signature that you have an original box CD/DVD version of the game.
Same here. I've had it since it first came out with maps and all. The Gold Edition.
Can you run those without the player if you do a full install?
I have a high speed CD/DVD reader that plugs into my laptop for just such a reason.

-ME
Old 05-31-22, 12:03 AM   #4
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Can you run those without the player if you do a full install?
i do not understand what you mean? can you give me more context?

LAA enabled
Old 05-31-22, 01:20 AM   #5
hunter301
Sonar Guy

Quote:
i do not understand what you mean? can you give me more context?
Sorry.
Meant to say can you run the game without the CD/DVD player if you do a full install?

-ME
Old 05-31-22, 08:05 AM   #6
Xerxes
Bosun

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 10

Quote:

Here's my question: Is it possible to have two installations from steam?

I'm not sure, and i'm edging towards no, I can't think of a way to do it.
Old 05-31-22, 09:00 AM   #7
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Here's my question: Is it possible to have two installations from steam?

I'm not sure, and i'm edging towards no, I can't think of a way to do it.
I run the steam version I have multiple separate mod folders for each mode. Start with a clean install. I happen to have mine in E: Program files(X86)>Steam>Steamapps>Common>Then individual folders for each Mod......It's highly suggested not to use C:Program files(x86) for your Steam installation point.

Once you have a clean install just copy and paste everything IN the folder Silent Hunter wolves of the pacific at the Steam.Steamapps.common location, and paste them in a different name folder I use OM darkwaters, Berbsters,Fotrs, JapSh4, TMOSH4, Wediveatdawn, ect.
Once the clean copy is installed in a new mod folder, add Large address aware and activate(make sure it's pointing at the SH4 in your new folder), add JSGME don't activate yet, add MultiSH4 1.5 and change the standard three letter save point to something like OMD if you're using OM drakwaters,TMO if your using TMOmod ect. Then install the mod you're putting in the new folder. Lastly make and rename a shortcut from the SH4 in the folder and paste on your desktop. Hope this helps

Last edited by 1Patriotofmany; 05-31-22 at 09:10 AM.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-22, 10:04 AM   #8
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Sorry.
Meant to say can you run the game without the CD/DVD player if you do a full install?
definitely!
i only use the media when i absolutely-positively need it.
here is a tried-and-true-methodology:
  1. perform the install to a folder other than C:/Program Files(x86). Most put it in C:\Ubisoft\something of your choosing.
  2. use Winzip or 7-zip or whatever compression app you have a license to and make a zipped copy of what you just installed. this is your master copy that you will keep safe-and-sound.
  3. then you can create additional folders under the Ubisoft folder for all of the additional SH4 scenarios that you will want to run: Stock, GFO, TMO_BH, FOTRSU, etc. you will create a new folder and then unzip SH4 from your master copy into the new folder. then...
  4. Use Multish4 to create the Save Folder environment for your new installation.
  5. then, go sink some ships with either Stock or whatever mega-mod you choose...without the need to keep using your cd/dvd media.

does this sound do-able?

LAA enabled
Old 05-31-22, 04:03 PM   #9
Xerxes
Bosun

Downloads: 82
Uploads: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
I run the steam version I have multiple separate mod folders for each mode. Start with a clean install. I happen to have mine in E: Program files(X86)>Steam>Steamapps>Common>Then individual folders for each Mod......It's highly suggested not to use C:Program files(x86) for your Steam installation point.

Once you have a clean install just copy and paste everything IN the folder Silent Hunter wolves of the pacific at the Steam.Steamapps.common location, and paste them in a different name folder I use OM darkwaters, Berbsters,Fotrs, JapSh4, TMOSH4, Wediveatdawn, ect.
Once the clean copy is installed in a new mod folder, add Large address aware and activate(make sure it's pointing at the SH4 in your new folder), add JSGME don't activate yet, add MultiSH4 1.5 and change the standard three letter save point to something like OMD if you're using OM drakwaters,TMO if your using TMOmod ect. Then install the mod you're putting in the new folder. Lastly make and rename a shortcut from the SH4 in the folder and paste on your desktop. Hope this helps

Thanks!
Old 06-01-22, 10:19 AM   #10
1Patriotofmany
Commander

Downloads: 92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xerxes View Post
Thanks!
and of course activate the mod by JSGME in the new folder when you're done all that.. I keep the original fresh copy untouched except for JSGME, Large address aware and multish4 1.5 in with the fresh copy, so i can just copy everything into a new mod folder later on, rather than search for the files.
1Patriotofmany is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 03:15 PM   #11
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

wolf_howl15

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Patriotofmany View Post
and of course activate the mod by JSGME in the new folder when you're done all that.. I keep the original fresh copy untouched except for JSGME, Large address aware and multish4 1.5 in with the fresh copy, so i can just copy everything into a new mod folder later on, rather than search for the files.
A trick, that I added to My own repertoire Myself... on adding into the virgin, 'GOLD Standard' copy of doing multi copies with Steam version.... for just that reason.
Old 06-01-22, 04:15 PM   #12
CaptMagilla
Bilge Rat

Downloads: 1
Nuke Question from a beginner

I was playing a Career Mode game and I got fidgitey and started messing with different controls. unfortunately, I toggled the Throttle(?) and saw the digital numbers. I impulsively tried to make the Sub go faster, but it didn't. Unfortunately, the needle stuck on the speed I tried,and then I just got 'cannot comply' statements, no matter the speed or direction. I quit the game, but every other selection I made, I got the same response, about 3/4 of the way thru. So I uninstalled the game and re-installed in a different directory. But still have the same problem...3/4 thru any Career or War Patrol, the Sub stops and I get 'Cannot comply' ,and that's the end.
Sure could use your help on this...I am fairly computer savvy.
CaptMagilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 06:29 PM   #13
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default welcome aboard!

CaptMagilla!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-22, 06:42 PM   #14
KaleunMarco
Silent Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptMagilla View Post
I was playing a Career Mode game and I got fidgitey and started messing with different controls. unfortunately, I toggled the Throttle(?) and saw the digital numbers. I impulsively tried to make the Sub go faster, but it didn't. Unfortunately, the needle stuck on the speed I tried,and then I just got 'cannot comply' statements, no matter the speed or direction. I quit the game, but every other selection I made, I got the same response, about 3/4 of the way thru. So I uninstalled the game and re-installed in a different directory. But still have the same problem...3/4 thru any Career or War Patrol, the Sub stops and I get 'Cannot comply' ,and that's the end.
Sure could use your help on this...I am fairly computer savvy.
welcome to SH4.

more than likely, you have called your crew to Battle Stations and left them there too long. They are fatigued from weariness.
go to the crew management screen and click on a crewman and check their fatigue level.
if, per chance, your crew is not fatigued, there could be a whole host of reasons you are experiencing a difficulty.
we'll go through that exercise after you check your crew.

LAA enabled

Last edited by KaleunMarco; 06-01-22 at 09:33 PM.
Old 06-01-22, 06:59 PM   #15
Mad Mardigan
Admiral

Downloads: 491

radar Re: Welcome aboard...

CaptMagilla!