SUBSIM Radio Room Forums

SUBSIM: The Web's #1 resource for all submarine & naval simulations since 1997

Go Back   SUBSIM Radio Room Forums > Silent Hunter 3 - 4 - 5 > Silent Hunter 4: Wolves of the Pacific
Forget password? Reset here

Old 05-15-22, 02:24 PM   #1
Graf_Kacper
Swabbie

Downloads: 36
Uploads: 0
Default Deck gun sound issue

Hello!

I'm running the game with newest version of FOTRSU, which I think I've installed correctly. Everything was fine and dandy, I'm in first quarter of 1943 after starting in 1941. Then I decided to spice up my game and got the Pacific Sound Mod and Real 5in/25 Deck Gun Sound mod.. Now I can't hear my deck gun at all. Sounds from PSM work just fine - but as the title of the post says - I can't hear the deck gun! No sound at all, no reload sounds, nothing.

I have:
1. Tried running the game with PSM gun sounds;
2. Tried running the game with original/FOTRSU gun sounds;
And it produced no results. I've started a new campaign, deleted the folder in my documents, all of that in vain. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how I may fix it? I would prefer to not have to resort to reinstalling the game.

Cheers.
Graf_Kacper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-22, 04:50 PM   #2
Aktungbby
Gefallen Engel U-666

Location: On a tilted, overheated, overpopulated spinning mudball on Collision course with Andromeda Galaxy
Downloads: 22

Default Welcome aboard!

Graf_Kacper! on the surface after a long "silent run"!

"Only two things are infinite; The Universe and human squirrelyness; and I'm not too sure about the Universe"
Aktungbby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-22, 09:54 AM   #3
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graf_Kacper View Post
Hello!

I'm running the game with newest version of FOTRSU, which I think I've installed correctly. Everything was fine and dandy, I'm in first quarter of 1943 after starting in 1941. Then I decided to spice up my game and got the Pacific Sound Mod and Real 5in/25 Deck Gun Sound mod.. Now I can't hear my deck gun at all. Sounds from PSM work just fine - but as the title of the post says - I can't hear the deck gun! No sound at all, no reload sounds, nothing.

I have:
1. Tried running the game with PSM gun sounds;
2. Tried running the game with original/FOTRSU gun sounds;
And it produced no results. I've started a new campaign, deleted the folder in my documents, all of that in vain. Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas as to how I may fix it? I would prefer to not have to resort to reinstalling the game.

Cheers.
It is not recommended to use add-in mods not specifically written for FotRSU, the reason being that there are quite a few different "calls" to the equipment, ships & sub in the mod, as compared to stock and most other mods. The PSM would probably function OK, if all it does is change the Data / Sounds folder, but NOT the SH.SDL file. Same with the Real GSM, but if either chnages anything other than the sound files, you can run into issues. One aspect of the game and mods that affect all sorts of issues is where you have the game itself installed. If you are in either of the "Program Files" folders, the game will not update properly when mods are activated. You should be in a folder you created yourself, such as "C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4..." or whatever you want to call it. You also cannot be playing several different modded games at the same time, unless you are using MultiSH4 to have separate Save folders for each modded copy of the game. If you add mods to the game, or remove mods from the game, you will also sometimes run afoul of the Save folder not being properly initialized with the changes. You have to empty the Save folder between mod sets to clear the old data. This does preclude being able to re-use old Saved games. I do not have either of those mods myself, but inspect them yourself, and if there are other files besides wave files for the Sounds folder, or ogg files for the numbered files below that (Speech), then you might be running into issues with a gun change, or SH.SDL file change. You can refer to the pdf files in the FotRSU mod's Support folder for more information on installation of the game, as well as mod activations, and it all applies to 99.9% of other mods as well.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-22, 11:19 AM   #4
Graf_Kacper
Swabbie

Downloads: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by propbeanie View Post
It is not recommended to use add-in mods not specifically written for FotRSU, the reason being that there are quite a few different "calls" to the equipment, ships & sub in the mod, as compared to stock and most other mods. The PSM would probably function OK, if all it does is change the Data / Sounds folder, but NOT the SH.SDL file. Same with the Real GSM, but if either chnages anything other than the sound files, you can run into issues. One aspect of the game and mods that affect all sorts of issues is where you have the game itself installed. If you are in either of the "Program Files" folders, the game will not update properly when mods are activated. You should be in a folder you created yourself, such as "C:\Games \Silent Hunter 4..." or whatever you want to call it. You also cannot be playing several different modded games at the same time, unless you are using MultiSH4 to have separate Save folders for each modded copy of the game. If you add mods to the game, or remove mods from the game, you will also sometimes run afoul of the Save folder not being properly initialized with the changes. You have to empty the Save folder between mod sets to clear the old data. This does preclude being able to re-use old Saved games. I do not have either of those mods myself, but inspect them yourself, and if there are other files besides wave files for the Sounds folder, or ogg files for the numbered files below that (Speech), then you might be running into issues with a gun change, or SH.SDL file change. You can refer to the pdf files in the FotRSU mod's Support folder for more information on installation of the game, as well as mod activations, and it all applies to 99.9% of other mods as well.
Aha! Eureka! Thanks for the tip about SH.SDL file, this was the culprit. Thank you!
Graf_Kacper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-22, 10:17 AM   #5
propbeanie
CTD - it's not just a job

Downloads: 439
Uploads: 2

- Glad you have sound back! Now, the thing about removing SH.sdl is that you may not have all of the sounds from the sound mods you added. It is tough to have all parts mess together sometimes, unless something is specifically made to work with the base mod.

"...and bollocks to the naysayer/s" - Jimbuna
propbeanie is offline   Reply With Quote